Ard Mhacha v Maigh Eo Craobh Cluiche Ceannais Peile Mionúir na hÉireann

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, August 30, 2009, 06:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Good question AFS, think there's a number of players that next year's senior manager should be looking at, especially when you look at our forward line in the senior team. I think Deccie McKenna, Carragher, Grugan, and the three lads in the FF line all should be given a chance at some stage in the next few years. McVerry, in particular, would appear at this stage to have a huge future ahead of him, Tasker is as talented a player as we have had at minor level hope his size doesn't count against him when it comes to senior football.
As other posters have said Armagh have been successful in taking what limited success in underage we have had into the senior set up.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

mountainboii

Just thought it was interesting that the only ones from the 92 team that made much of an impact appeared to do so immediately, but they were an exceptional few lads.

I think the current bunch could find it hard enough to make an immediate breakthrough. We're not lacking young talent at the minute with a couple of decent U-21 teams still to establish themselves at senior level. I'd much rather see the likes of Paul McKeown, Jamie Clarke, Mark Shields and David Cumiskey come through in the short term. The only guy I'd definitely have on the senior panel next year would be McVerry, he already looks like a senior player kicking about with a load of boys. Some of the other standout players like Tasker and Grugan are lacking a bit of physique, but they've plenty of time on their side.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on September 01, 2009, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on September 01, 2009, 01:03:32 PM
Armagh's only minor win was in 1949.

yes time you won another don't you think, & if  Mayo lose another Final that would make it 6 final defeats in a row....i would suggest them to stand aside & let others have the opportunity to win a All Ireland ;)
You don't have any particular  team in mind now, do you? ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Armamike

Stephan Forker could be added to that list.  He showed up very well for the u21s again this year - some of his point taking in the Ulster final was first class.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

ardmhachaabu

McPartland (I forget the lad's first name) could be added to that list of potentials too, imo.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

drici

The Irish Press
Monday September 21 1992

Late-Late Meath Goal Simply Stuns Armagh

Meath   2-05
Armagh 0-10

Meath's third All Ireland Minor Football crown was captured in remarkable manner at Croke Park yesterday,
when the Leinster Champions notched the decisive goal in the second minute of injury time.

Picture the scenario. Armagh urged on by the huge Ulster following, were two points ahead and,
seemingly, only seconds removed from celebrating their second National Title in this grade.

However, Meath teams are always deadly dangerous when in touch with their opponents and once
again their effective no-frills style reaped dividends.

The Royals were attacking the Railway posts in an effort to pull this game out of the fire but the Armagh
defence dealt more than capably with their efforts.

True, Meath's most renowned sharpshooter, captain Peter O'Sullivan, twice squandered reasonable
pointing chances, to the utter horror of his County's supporters.

To their credit, the Leinster Champions kept coming forward and the break-through came in the 62nd
minute. Sustitute Michael Farrelly was fouled and Trevor Giles caught the opposing defence napping
when chipping the resultant free to the Number 20.

Farrelly, without hesitation, sent a low shot to the corner of the net and Meath had their noses in front.

Armagh tried mightily to retreive the situation. Twice James Smith drove them back with brave fetches
and clearances but, as this game entered its 65th minute, the Ulster representatives forced a '50' midway
between the posts and the Hogan Stand sideline.

Referee Séamus Prior informed Barry O'Hagan that this was the last kick of the game. The Armagh Midfielder
tried his utmost but his shot dropped short and that was that.

Armagh, with Barry O'Hagan and Paul McGrane controlling midfield, dominated the First Half yet led by
only three points, 0-06 to 0-03 at the interval. A dogged Meath rearguard made them sweat blood
for every ball and the losers notched only one point from play during this Half.

Armagh might have had a goal after eight minutes but Declan Toner boxed high and wide with only Brendan
Murphy to beat. Murphy was later to distinguish himself with a breath-taking save from Des Mackin while Meath,
in occasional forays, were more direct and invariably threatened danger.

The winners came more into this game after the resumption but Armagh always appeared to have that little
bit in hand. This was anything but a classic and it came to life in the 49th minute when Trevor Giles intercepted
a weak kick-out and beat Darren Whitmarsh with a well placed shot to the far corner.

This tied the scores, Armagh 0-08 Meath 1-05, but the Ulster Champions responded. Diarmuid Marsden put
them back in front from a free, after Barry O'Hagan was fouled, and, within seconds, Mackin sent Paul McNulty
through for another point.

This brief salvo seemed to have settled the issue but Meath teams never lack heart and this Minor squad earned
full marks for this trait. They stuck to their guns and when the opportunity eventually presented itself they took it.

Scorers:
Meath   2-05  D Hunt(0-1) P O'Sullivan(0-1) T Giles(1-2) P Nestor(0-1) M Farrelly(1-0)

Armagh 0-10  B O'Hagan(0-1) D Marsden(0-3) P McNulty(0-1) N McGleenan(0-5)

mountainboii

Quote from: Armamike on September 01, 2009, 10:32:21 PM
Stephan Forker could be added to that list.  He showed up very well for the u21s again this year - some of his point taking in the Ulster final was first class.

Aye Stephan is already with the seniors. Hopefully he'll be pushing for a starting spot next year.

Tyrones own

Quote from: moysider on August 31, 2009, 09:42:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on August 31, 2009, 05:53:48 PM
That said, and no disrespect to Mayo...it really is hard to see past an Armagh win IMO

Why so Tyrones Own?

I just think the FF line will cause Mayo no end of problems....that and I think the final score against Down at the weekend
kind of flattered Mayo, had Down taken their points instead of trying to walk the ball into the net, the two goals that would
usually be enough to put any team away would have been negated.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mayo4Sam

Listen this nonsense that was pedalled out by the sunday game lads is just that, nonsense. The down lads were through on goal, of course they should have gone for goals. If they had taken their points & lost then the sunday game lads would have said goals win games, down weren't cynical enough, when ur through on goal u have to go for it. Its like mickey harte said, u win & ur changes are inspired, lose & u paniced. The truth is, down walked through our defence & had poor shot selection, not enough were kept on the turf. If anything our second goal was blessed, it was ridiculous to go for goal with 3 lads on the line.& not to knock him or anything but the zinger made some great saves but a lot were right at him, his best work was the pressure put on to force the down lad to kick wide in the 2nd half. It wld be great to have another senior kiltmagh keeper, the club has a great traditional of keepers.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

I sat down last night and had a good hard look at the video. When you already know what has happened and you are looking out for certain things, you might see things that weren't obvious during the actual game.
During the first half Down has being going for points and didn't make a good fist of it. They were dominant around the middle of the field but weren't turning their advantage into scores. Coming up to the end of this half they did have a fairly impressive spell alright and did same capable of pulling ahead –if they kept the pressure on when the second half began.
Brolly was spot on in his analysis at half time; but tow things were needed for this to happen.
Down would need to get on top at the start and Mayo would have to buckle.
Neither thing happened.
Mayo kept their shape throughout the first half and Ray Dempsey was directing them very effectively. With limited possession, we seemed to have a few good forwards whom I knew would stay calm and were quite capable of doing damage if they got a better supply of ball.
I think Dempsey was able to keep them focussed for the second half and Down got rattled when Mayo didn't throw in the towel. It seems to be that Down changed tactics and went for goals because they hadn't been effective at going for points in the first half. Hindsight is wonderful alright but here is absolutely no reason to say the Down forwards would have put the game out of Mayo's reach if they kept on banging in shots from out the field.
Maybe poor tactics did cost Down the game but tactics have won and lost games before and there is no guarantee that Armagh will get things right all through the final either.
Ray Dempsey has the confidence of his players and he made damn good use of his resources throughout. He knows the pressure his lads will be under for the final but Armagh will be feeling the same pressure. Form in preliminary games means damn all in an All Ireland in front of a sell-out crowd. I saw nothing in the last game to suggest Mayo will be overawed by the atmosphere the next day. They will certainly feel the pressure but so will the Armagh lads. Both sides had to prove their worth on the path to the final and are there on merit but a lot is going to depend on the direction from the sideline.
I'm happy that ray will get the last ounce out of his team and that we will have enough good lads out there to keep the show on the road from start to finish and it will be up to Armagh to be able to do the same if they are to win.
If we are to be beaten, Armagh will have to win the game on merit and can't rely on Mayo folding up
I can't see Mayo doing that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: RogerMilla on September 02, 2009, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 02, 2009, 10:30:47 AM
the zinger made some great saves..

is that what they call him ?? Brilliant!  ;D

That's news to me, I'd say Mayo4Sam is on a solo run there! Great nickname though  :D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RogerMilla

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 03, 2009, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: RogerMilla on September 02, 2009, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 02, 2009, 10:30:47 AM
the zinger made some great saves..

is that what they call him ?? Brilliant!  ;D

That's news to me, I'd say Mayo4Sam is on a solo run there! Great nickname though  :D

take a bow M4S , i'll be using that one..

StoneWall

I hear Cillian O'Connor was injured in the West Mayo minor final on Friday evening! Anyone hear if it was serious or will it keep him out of the final?

Onion Bag

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 01, 2009, 10:39:14 PM
McPartland (I forget the lad's first name) could be added to that list of potentials too, imo.

Gavin Mc Parland
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!