Narrow Water Bridge - Yes or No

Started by amallon, January 26, 2007, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of a Bridge being built across the border at Narrow Water?

Yes
83 (66.9%)
No
15 (12.1%)
Don't care
26 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: armaghniac on October 16, 2012, 09:31:42 AM
QuoteThis is an ego project being contested on narrow political grounds between selfishSDLP imterests & Shinner politicos. Has any cost-benefit analysis been done? I doubt it.. A Newry southern relief road is not just an alternative - it is an essential part of the north-south infranstructure, both for Nerwy and the bottlencks that are Kilorey Street & Dublin Bridges - and for the Mourne region, which could potentially be given a direct link from the Dublin-Belfast motorway. If Narrow Water goes ahead it will emasculate the notion of a proper north-south link rather than enhance it.
Narrow Water = Narrow Thinking.

I don't see what a Narrow water bridge has to do with Newry southern relief road. It is bit like saying that widening the road from Camlough to Bessbrook reduces the need for a Newry bypass. This project is developed by Louth and will be largely funded by EU sources, probably a fund for tourist infrastructure, and will have feck all work needed on the northern side.   The relief road will have to stand on its own merits.

You're wrong. Its a bit like saying if we widen Chancellors Road and the Newry to Bessbrook Road then we don't need the bypass.

The Southern Relief Road stands on its own merits as things stand, the Narrow Water Bridge doesn't, but once its built it will scupper any chances of getting the investment needed for the Southern Relief Road.
Careful now

stew

We own 23 acres between Newry & the Point..........................hell yeah we want the bridge  :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

All of a Sludden

The European Union has said it will give 17.4m euro to fund a new bridge to be built at Narrow Water between County Louth and County Down.

The single lane cable bridge will be 660 metres long and could be open by 2015.

Planning permission has been granted by authorities on both sides of the border.

The Special EU Programmes Body said the money was from the EU's Interreg IVa programme.

The SEUPB said that its steering committee for the project approved the money at a meeting on Wednesday.

"However, given the high value of funding sought, project approval is also dependent upon the financial support provided by the relevant accountable departments, which include the Department of Finance and Personnel in Northern Ireland and the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport in Ireland," a spokesperson said.

Sinn Fein assembly member Caitriona Ruane said the bridge will transform the fortunes of South Down.

"This bridge has the potential to open up the entire South Down and Louth area for tourism and business," she said.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

southdown

http://www.pleanala.ie/news/HA0037.htm

Interesting reading here for anyone with time on thier hands  :P

I see the golf club have concerns about traffic congestion!  Im sure they won't mind the extra trade!

Lecale2

There won't be much traffic seeing as it's single lane. Does it run north to south or the other way around?

Maguire01

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 24, 2012, 04:43:19 PM
There won't be much traffic seeing as it's single lane. Does it run north to south or the other way around?
Are you serious?!

Declan

QuoteDoes it run north to south or the other way around?

Brilliant

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 24, 2012, 05:01:30 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on October 24, 2012, 04:43:19 PM
Are you serious?!

This guy once convinced a lad that the Ballymena Ring Road was named after Christy Ring, so what do you think?
Careful now

armaghniac

QuoteIt actually runs east/west

That's only when the bridge is open!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Maguire01

Looks nice. But it also looks like a 2-lane bridge.

here comes 6

No need for it. Both governments say they have no money but can throw millions into this??? Doesnt add up imo

Maguire01

Quote from: here comes 6 on October 28, 2012, 07:02:47 AM
No need for it. Both governments say they have no money but can throw millions into this??? Doesnt add up imo
The money is coming from the EU.

lawnseed

it just gets better.. a bridge to a ferryport that doesnt carry lorries (warrenpoint) and a motorway to a port costing 80 million where lorries and ferries have stopped using(larne) theres no shortage of money when it comes to follies
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once