Narrow Water Bridge - Yes or No

Started by amallon, January 26, 2007, 05:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of a Bridge being built across the border at Narrow Water?

Yes
83 (66.9%)
No
15 (12.1%)
Don't care
26 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 121

sheamy

Quote from: Hardy on October 16, 2012, 09:16:31 AM
Who told Louth Co. Co. they had naming rights for the Boyne bridge? As previously announced here, it will be Joe Sheridan Bridge, to symbolise the historic sporting friendship between the counties it joins.

Now now, if you can't share it, then it will have to be the Martin Sludden Bridge

sheamy

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on February 10, 2008, 12:36:32 PM
will be of no real benefit for traffic travelling from South Down to Dublin

but think of how quick it will be for stag doos to get to Carlingford...and to the Poc Fada...and the cheap(er) diesel in Omeath. Manna from heaven. They'll be flocking from as far away as Rathfriland. The Hugh Morgan bridge it is...

Ulick

Lads if the money comes it'll be from the PEACE III or INTERREG money which is primarily for cross-border community and voluntary groups to promote cooperation. They're not going to fund a relief road around Newry to help south Down mucksavages get to work 15 minutes earlier.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ulick on October 16, 2012, 10:23:57 AM
Lads if the money comes it'll be from the PEACE III or INTERREG money which is primarily for cross-border community and voluntary groups to promote cooperation. They're not going to fund a relief road around Newry to help south Down mucksavages get to work 15 minutes earlier.

Probably and with the PEACE III currently coming to an end it is likely to come from PEACE IV money which will be coming despite what some people are suggesting.

thewobbler

I'd love to see this bridge happen, but without a connecting road over the mountain, it brings so few benefits to the areas involved that I just don't see the point of it.

If some altruistic millionaire wanted to pay for it to leave their mark on their area, then I'd applaud their generosity. But if taxes are being used, they should be put to better use in my opinion.

A similar bridge from Greencastle to Greenore could revolutionise trade and passage in the eastern counties. But as it would cost Narrow Water times X it'll never happen. If Americans had have had the same attitude a century ago though, nothing would ever have been built.

armaghniac

QuoteBut if taxes are being used, they should be put to better use in my opinion.

If the EU pay for anything like 50% then little tax money would be needed, as a significant part of expenditure returns directly in taxation from PAYE, VAT etc.

But the point about the mountain road is valid.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Leo

Quote from: armaghniac on October 16, 2012, 09:31:42 AM
QuoteThis is an ego project being contested on narrow political grounds between selfishSDLP imterests & Shinner politicos. Has any cost-benefit analysis been done? I doubt it.. A Newry southern relief road is not just an alternative - it is an essential part of the north-south infranstructure, both for Nerwy and the bottlencks that are Kilorey Street & Dublin Bridges - and for the Mourne region, which could potentially be given a direct link from the Dublin-Belfast motorway. If Narrow Water goes ahead it will emasculate the notion of a proper north-south link rather than enhance it.
Narrow Water = Narrow Thinking.

I don't see what a Narrow water bridge has to do with Newry southern relief road. It is bit like saying that widening the road from Camlough to Bessbrook reduces the need for a Newry bypass. This project is developed by Louth and will be largely funded by EU sources, probably a fund for tourist infrastructure, and will have feck all work needed on the northern side.   The relief road will have to stand on its own merits.

Yes of course it will have to stand on its own merits.
Now, weigh those merits against the merits of a twiddly dee touristy bridge from Narrow Water onto the Omeath dirt track. Is it just becase the lough is narrowest at that location, it will look pretty, and it will compensate for the fact that it is no longer viable to run a wee touristy boat from the Point to the land that time forgot?
I am all for local initiatives but is there not also a bigger picture? Just dont expect the Shinners to see or promote anything with true vision -  while the SDLP have long abandonded their progressive  outlook as they continue to play catch-up with the other shower.
Fierce tame altogether

armaghniac

QuoteNow, weigh those merits against the merits of a twiddly dee touristy bridge from Narrow Water onto the Omeath dirt track. Is it just becase the lough is narrowest at that location, it will look pretty, and it will compensate for the fact that it is no longer viable to run a wee touristy boat from the Point to the land that time forgot?
I am all for local initiatives but is there not also a bigger picture? Just dont expect the Shinners to see or promote anything with true vision -  while the SDLP have long abandonded their progressive  outlook as they continue to play catch-up with the other shower.

Oddly enough they call this place Narrow Water, probably something to do with the width of the Lough. And I don't see what the Shinners have to do with it, they don't have a majority on Louth County council and in case this bridge has been planned since they regarded Narrow Water as a convenient place to detonate bombs.

As I said, they can demolish Dromalane and build a ten lane road if they wish, that is a separate issue.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

All of a Sludden

A connecting road over the mountain is a non starter, it may have been an option a decade ago, but not in the current economic climate. Upgrading the road from Cornamucklagh (Daveys Pub) to the main Greenore/Dundalk Rd (R173) will be necessary, most of the upgrades on the R173 have been completed.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

All of a Sludden

An announcement about funding for the Narrow Water bridge project is imminent. Sources say the funding bodies decision to turn down Warrenpoint marina's application could indicate that the Narrow Water bridge application will get the cash and indications look good.
It is understood the SEUPB will meet on Wednesday to rubber stamp any decision they have made about Narrow Water bridge and inform Louth Co. Co on Thursday.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

lawnseed

good stuff. this will take the docks southbound traffic away from newry and also make the warrenpoint ferry terminal a much more attractive facility for frieght. maybe a few more jobs could follow
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: lawnseed on October 23, 2012, 08:56:25 PM
good stuff. this will take the docks southbound traffic away from newry and also make the warrenpoint ferry terminal a much more attractive facility for frieght. maybe a few more jobs could follow

I doubt not. My understanding is that it is to have a weight restriction to stop that very thing happening. Its folly but the lobby is coming from Warrenpoint and if it is to be provided at the expense on the Warrenpoint Marina then the people of Warrenpoint deserve everything they get
Careful now

Lecale2

It won't help Warrenpoint Port at all. In fact, if it is built they will never build the bridge the area really needs.

lawnseed

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 23, 2012, 09:07:49 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on October 23, 2012, 08:56:25 PM

I doubt not. My understanding is that it is to have a weight restriction to stop that very thing happening. Its folly but the lobby is coming from Warrenpoint and if it is to be provided at the expense on the Warrenpoint Marina then the people of Warrenpoint deserve everything they get
good for fuk all then. they'd be better with a pontoon bridge
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Lecale2