Kerry v Cork All Ireland Final 2009

Started by magickingdom, August 30, 2009, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 20, 2009, 07:07:56 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on September 20, 2009, 06:52:21 PM
With canty so subdued today by the roving Kennelly I wonder how much closer our semi would have been if cavanagh was 100%?

You Tyronies need to gracefully accespt the fact that you were not there today.  Please do you Co right and give over gracefully.  You have had your day and may have others. 
Trying to rain on Kerry's party on AIF day only sounds lke sourgrapes.

Jesus Christ man, if u look back a page or two you will see if fully congratulated Kerry, I'm only pointing out the fact that Canty was collosal against ourselves and when he was on a real warrior like Kennelly he was majorly disrupted. It appears sometimes that if anyone from Tyrone makes a comment on a match they're not involved in they get chastised

Tyrones own

Fair play to Kerry....better team on the day no doubt, too bad so many Cork lads didn't show up.
Right enough about O'Neill, McCarthy must have done a fantastic job on him, hard to see on TV.
I didn't hear who got MOM, O'Sullivan for me then Tommy Walsh... he got the scores when needed!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mack the finger

Delighted for Armagh Minors, came good when it mattered most.
Cork kicked themselves out of it second half, fair play to Kerry.
Best team is that who takes their scores.

Lucky enough to have been at both finals.
Hurling a winner in terms of skill.
How many fouls in the football?

Took a friend from Australia to the match.
Everytime the big screen flashed, she asked if all Cork people were black!

Croí na hÉireann

Well I think that's the first time a match has turned out as I predicted... Fair play to Colm O'Neill for turning up, Cork should put all their efforts into him as I think he'll be to them what the Gooch is to Kerry

Kerry won this in the middle third, where they ruled supreme apart from the first 10 minutes. Jacks plan for Kennelly on Canty worked to perfection and his substition of him was one of the most bewildering I've seen, he says he wasn't injured and certainly didn't look to be tiring. Thought himself and Declan O'Sullivan were immense in the first half, Cork really erred in not putting on Cadogan from the start.

MOTM will propably go to Tom O'Sullivan who displayed great reading of the game and came bursting out from the back countless times but my MOTM was Seamus Scanlon. That's the best performance I've ever seen from him, won some amount of ball in the middle, always looked to lay it off and invariably found his man. He never let up the whole game and covered every blade of grass, I think he spent more time in the full back line than midfield as he was always back there available for a pass.

Could and probably should have been closer as Cork missed some amount of wides, although most were from around the 40 under pressure. It'll be a long winter in Langerland...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 20, 2009, 08:34:57 PM
Well I think that's the first time a match has turned out as I predicted... Fair play to Colm O'Neill for turning up, Cork should put all their efforts into him as I think he'll be to them what the Gooch is to Kerry

Kerry won this in the middle third, where they ruled supreme apart from the first 10 minutes. Jacks plan for Kennelly on Canty worked to perfection and his substition of him was one of the most bewildering I've seen, he says he wasn't injured and certainly didn't look to be tiring. Thought himself and Declan O'Sullivan were immense in the first half, Cork really erred in not putting on Cadogan from the start.

MOTM will propably go to Tom O'Sullivan who displayed great reading of the game and came bursting out from the back countless times but my MOTM was Seamus Scanlon. That's the best performance I've ever seen from him, won some amount of ball in the middle, always looked to lay it off and invariably found his man. He never let up the whole game and covered every blade of grass, I think he spent more time in the full back line than midfield as he was always back there available for a pass.

Could and probably should have been closer as Cork missed some amount of wides, although most were from around the 40 under pressure. It'll be a long winter in Langerland...

scanlon and galvin were immense today but because they didn't score expect most people to not notice at all.

mylestheslasher

Was a disappointing final after a promising start. I really thought Cork would/could do it but their forwards just didn't turn up. Kerry played in patches but when they did they got the scores, when Cork got their dominant periods they shot poorly.

orangeman

Kerry's defence after the shaky start was outstanding. The 2 O'Se brothers were outstanding again. Tomas gave Kerrigan some some torturing scoring 2 points and setting up play after play - his first point was class. Pearse O'Neill was anonymous - what a player Mc Carthy is. Killian was very good on the ball and attacked constantly. Tommy Griffin after the slip for the goal dominated Colm.

But my MOM was Tom O'Sullivan who came out with ball after ball.

Scanlon has to get an All Star for the last 3 games alone. Dara got through a power of work but 70 minutes is now beyond him.

Galvin got some possessions - player of the year after Kennelly imposed himself on Canty who had to go to corner back.
Declan O'Sullivan can carry a ball and got through dome work.

Kennelly - delighted for him. Class act.

Gooch - tortured Lynch.

Walsh - near to MOM. Point taking was awesome.

Darren - bit on the light side but up with a deadly poin when Cork had Kerry on the back foot.

Cork kicked themselves out of the game. However they were forced to kick from distance cos they lack creativity.

The winners take it all.

I always thought that Kerry would win when it mattered most. I'd loved to have seen Cork but Kerry didn't even have to play at their best to beat Cork today.

orangeman

Quote from: Mack the finger on September 20, 2009, 08:33:19 PM
Delighted for Armagh Minors, came good when it mattered most.
Cork kicked themselves out of it second half, fair play to Kerry.
Best team is that who takes their scores.

Lucky enough to have been at both finals.
Hurling a winner in terms of skill.
How many fouls in the football?Took a friend from Australia to the match.
Everytime the big screen flashed, she asked if all Cork people were black!

53 fouls in the football today.

Tyrones own

Any idea how many of them went against Cork?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on September 20, 2009, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 20, 2009, 08:34:57 PM

scanlon and galvin were immense today but because they didn't score expect most people to not notice at all.

Galvin too was up there (as indeed was Tommy Walsh) but their contributions have rightly been lauded left, right and center. Baffled that Scanlon hasn't even got a mention anywhere, I'm just waiting now for Tony Davis, Tommy Lyons and Kevin McStay to fawn all over Walsh kicking scores and show us repeated clips of O'Sullivan bursting out of defence (with good reason), while ignoring the contribution of Scanlon...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

The hardest area on any gaelic football team to get right is the midfield and half forward lines. Kerry have consistently got these lines right more than most others. Scanlon rarely ever gives the ball away- you can't buy that commodity. Just contrast that to the Cork distribution today but I thought the movement of the cork full forward line was brutal today.

Mid Down Gael

Well done to the kingdom. a brilliant side with class acts all over the field. Im sure thats the end off big Darragh, what a legend, 6 all ireland medals. Kerry are a joy to watch and are team off the decade without doubt. Jack OConner is some manager.

orangeman

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 20, 2009, 08:49:53 PM
Any idea how many of them went against Cork?

Don't know what the breakdown was but Marty Morrissey was at his work today again trying to draw Conor Counihan on the referee's performance - Counihan diplomatically said that he'd leave to the pundits to make comment on that.

Personally I thought the ref was good today - he missed a few things and made a couple of strange calls but generally thought he was good.

Dougal Maguire

Despite the fact that he was wearing an Armagh jersey, my 14 year old son managed to get Paul Galvin's boots and Kieran Donaghy's gloves after the match was over. Full marks to both guys for this
Careful now

DoYerJob Linesman

17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth