Big Joe in line for the Galway job

Started by tyronefan, August 27, 2009, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Did ye hear John Joe on the radio, apparently Joe was only informed he had the job at 8.10 this evening. Yeah right, the job was his since the day contact was made by the Galway county board. No mention of any backroom team this evening, we'll have to wait a few weeks for that.

orangeman

Quote from: Duine Eile on September 09, 2009, 11:18:46 PM
Did ye hear John Joe on the radio, apparently Joe was only informed he had the job at 8.10 this evening. Yeah right, the job was his since the day contact was made by the Galway county board. No mention of any backroom team this evening, we'll have to wait a few weeks for that.

Exactly - Galway have their man.

Any speculation on who will form gthe backroom team ?

Duine Eile

The names rumoured locally are Alan Mulholland, Ja Fallon, Mikey Donnellan and Sean Óg de Paor. I could see Mulholland being involved alright, not so sure about the rest. I'm sure he'll bring someone from Armagh also.

ross4life

well if he gets you to a All Ireland final next year don't sack him like your neighbours Mayo did with Mickey Moran  :P
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mountainboii

Quote from: Armamike on September 09, 2009, 10:12:21 PM
Apart from the obvious fiscal attractions i can't really understand men like this wanting to manage other counties and in the process plotting the downfall of their own county. It takes a certain mindset i suppose.

I can understand it perfectly. He's in the property industry, so like everyone else his workload has probably been slashed in the last year or so. Taking this job, instead of being bored out of his head down in his office in Cross, he can occupy himself at the top level of the sport he loves. Managing a county football team is a great job. I'm also sure it hasn't been lost on Joe how rarely Galway meet Armagh in the championship.

tyronefan

Good luck to him

As AFS pointed out he probably has plenty of time on his hands at the minute

redhugh

What's the talk in Galway.......I'd imagine ye must be a happy lot with big Joe's appointent?

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteAFTER being officially ratified as manager of Galway's senior football team last night, Joe Kernan has less than a month to prepare for his first game in charge with the Tribesmen pencilled in to take on New York in the FBD League final in the Big Apple on October 11.

The Crossmaglen man could have his backroom team finalised as early as next Tuesday night with Alan Mulholland and Paul McGettigan among those who could be included on Kernan's ticket.

If appointed, Mulholland would also act as county U-21 team manager, where he would be reunited with many of the side he guided to All-Ireland minor success in 2007.

McGettigan and Mulholland also represent the North and West Boards that have traditionally been part of back-room teams in Galway.

Kernan returns from holiday on Saturday and is expected in Tuam Stadium the following day for the county's senior football semi-final double header where as many as half of the 2009 squad could be in action with Michael Meehan's Caltra taking on Joe Bergin's Mountbellew/Moylough and Seanie Armstrong's Salthill/Kocknacarra facing reigning champions Corofin.

under the bar

Met Joe in Athlone the other day driving a Porsche Ceyenne so he must have got an advance from the Galway county board!

Rocky Mc Guigan

What will Galway make of this new player tracking analysis that Joe will bring with him? Quite an expensive bit of software by all accounts

the Deel Rover

2 Ai winning managers in connacht now thats a first
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DuffleKing

Rossfan

Why not?
If players count then there's 4.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to