Alan O'Connor sending off.

Started by mournerambler, August 23, 2009, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

this was a case of 2 players running in opposite angles to each other in a high intensity match who simply collided and the yellow was one of the numerous mistakes by John Bannon on the day - he should not be allowed to referee such high profile games in the future. Surely Connacht can come up with a better man that him.  ??? .
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

INDIANA

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 26, 2009, 10:50:04 AM
this was a case of 2 players running in opposite angles to each other in a high intensity match who simply collided and the yellow was one of the numerous mistakes by John Bannon on the day - he should not be allowed to referee such high profile games in the future. Surely Connacht can come up with a better man that him.  ??? .

Since when has longford been part of Connacht?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2009, 10:50:54 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on August 26, 2009, 10:50:04 AM

Since when has longford been part of Connacht?

we will have to start geography lessons on this board   ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

full back

Was there a case of a previous Cork player missing the AI not so long ago if he had got suspended after the game?
Was it Levi?

Maybe I am imagining this ???

orangeman

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 26, 2009, 09:08:29 AM
Miraculous recovery

You must have thought he hit him an awful belt if you didn't think Mc Guigan wasn't going to get up again. I know he hit him a fair auld smack but only concussion was going to keep him out of the game after it.

Bannon bottled it. It was either no card or a red card.

Just one in a long,long litany of mistakes by the referee on the day.

By the way, people calling for him never to get another game again is wrong. He made a balls of it on the day, mistakes galore. But refs sometimes have bad days. Unfortunately for Banno, he picked one of them most high profile games of the year and the biggest stage in order to show the country.

He should get another chance at reffing. But not the AI final.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on August 26, 2009, 11:41:00 AM
You must have thought he hit him an awful belt if you didn't think Mc Guigan wasn't going to get up again. I know he hit him a fair auld smack but only concussion was going to keep him out of the game after it.

Bannon bottled it. It was either no card or a red card.

I think he was referring to his Countyman's 'miraculous' recovery in blowing for a foul at all against Cork  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 26, 2009, 09:08:29 AM
Miraculous recovery

It's always a sign of guilt and relief, after only getting a yellow card ( knowing that he should have got a red one ) that the offender puts his arm round the referee and thanks him for not sending him off.

I think Miskella gave Bannon a wee squeeze as well.  ;)

Billys Boots

QuoteI think Miskella gave Bannon a wee squeeze as well.

Taking after his manager??  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 26, 2009, 12:05:02 PM
QuoteI think Miskella gave Bannon a wee squeeze as well.

Taking after his manager??  :P

;)

bingobus

According to Hoganstand no further action to be taken. Bannon reviewed incident and felt he correctly dealt with it at time.

Complete farce in my opinion. The evidence at hand is that he struck his opponent with a raised hand. Any day of the week in my experience thats a red card regardless of force used.

Its All-Ireland final, so lets go handy.

Bullshit. Would like to here his explanation why it is only a yellow card.

The GAA disciplinary system has been a joke this year.

supersarsfields

I'm glad he didn't get a ban as he's a good footballer and would like to see him there for the AI final.

But as you say it makes a complete joke of the disciplinary system. If that had of been another player such as Ricey he would have had the book throw at him. Bannon is just making himself look worse. The fact that he's had a second view of the incident and still won't admit he fecked up just makes it worse. I would love to know what the yellow was for?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: bingobus on August 26, 2009, 02:16:37 PM
According to Hoganstand no further action to be taken. Bannon reviewed incident and felt he correctly dealt with it at time.

Complete farce in my opinion. The evidence at hand is that he struck his opponent with a raised hand. Any day of the week in my experience thats a red card regardless of force used.

Its All-Ireland final, so lets go handy.

Bullshit. Would like to here his explanation why it is only a yellow card.

The GAA disciplinary system has been a joke this year.

completely agree Bingo
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fear ón Srath Bán

Now official, from the Irish Times:

Miskella cleared to play in All-Ireland final

Cork defender John Miskella will be available for next month's All-Ireland football final after learning that he won't face any further action for slapping Tyrone's Brian McGuigan.

Miskella was caught by the television cameras slapping the Tyrone substitute during last Sunday's semi-final which led to a series of exchanges involving players from both sides.

The matter was dealt with at the time by referee John Bannon, who had his back turned when the actual incident took place but issued a yellow card after consulting with his umpires.

And, after reviewing the video evidence at the request of the Central Competitions Control Committee, the Longford official confirmed that he believed a yellow card was the appropriate sanction.

As such, Miskella has no further case to answer and will line out for the Rebels against the winners of Sunday's meeting between Kerry and Meath.

"The Central Competitions Control Committee requested the referee to clarify, by way of viewing video footage of the incident, if he felt the incident had been dealt with adequately on the day by issuing a yellow card to John Miskella," said the GAA in a statement released this lunchtime.

"The referee has confirmed that he considered that a yellow card was the appropriate sanction. The CCCC may not, therefore, initiate further disciplinary action in relation to this matter."
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

GalwayBayBoy

Bannon probably didn't want to create an even bigger stink upon his exit.

orangeman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 26, 2009, 02:38:55 PM
Bannon probably didn't want to create an even bigger stink upon his exit.

Could it really get any bigger ?  He had a chance to redeem himself a little by admitting that he had made a mistake but has now chosen to insist that he was right even when he was clearly wrong.

Not that anyone wanted to see Miskella miss the final, but Bannon has simply poured more misery on himself.