Prostate Cancer - Biggest Killer of Men in Ireland

Started by SLIGONIAN, August 22, 2009, 12:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Seen this on another forum, sadly got some devasting news last week about my 59 yr old Dad, has got this, more tests this week to know severity and obviously we are all on tender hooks.

Prostate Cancer is the biggest killer of men in Ireland and most other countries. There is about a 10:1 chance of getting the Cancer, but it should not kill.

Men, and to a certain extent, the medical community, share a responsibility to ensure Prostate Cancer as a killer, becomes a thing of the past.

Men tend to ignore little aches and pains, but in the case of pain in the abdomen area, ignoring the pain could be fatal.
The fact is that by having the GP give us a check for an enlarged Prostate, the number of men killed each year by Prostate Cancer, would be reduced dramatically. Early detection of this disease, normally results in the Cancer being confined to the Prostate, which could mean an operation would be all the treatment required.

So who are we talking about?
Well, men above the age of forty are at risk. Above the age of fifty, and the risk increases.

How to reduce the risk
Get checked annually and you increase the chance of survival, in the event that you might be the unlucky one in ten.
Respond to the symptoms by going to the doctor as soon as possible.

The symptoms are these
• A need to urinate frequently, especially at night.
• Difficulty starting urination or holding back urine.
• Weak or interrupted flow of urine.
• Painful or burning urination.
• Difficulty in having an erection.
• Painful ejaculation.
• Blood in urine or semen. or
• Frequent pain or stiffness in the lower back, hips, or upper thighs.

It must be noted that the symptoms above do not necessarily mean Prostate Cancer, but do indicate a problem "down there", which needs to be dealt with.

Find out more www.cancer.ie/prostate
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tony Baloney

Sorry to hear that. The wife's uncle is receiving radiotherapy for prostrate cancer at the minute. It is preventable but the problem is that men, and especially men in the affected age range, would have a tendency to ignore the warning signs out of embarrassment, not wanting to annoy the doctors and the "sure it'll be grand" attitude that afflicts Irish people.

Hope your news is as good as it can be.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2009, 12:10:03 PM
Sorry to hear that. The wife's uncle is receiving radiotherapy for prostrate cancer at the minute. It is preventable but the problem is that men, and especially men in the affected age range, would have a tendency to ignore the warning signs out of embarrassment, not wanting to annoy the doctors and the "sure it'll be grand" attitude that afflicts Irish people.

My Dad retired 4 yrs because of heart attack, and has been tested ever since for all this kinda stuff at 3 month intervals, he had a biopsy 12 months ago and we only got results last week. To me thats way to long, and doesnt make sense to be honest and I just hope we havent lost valuable time. If it very serious I'll be on the first plane home and I'll be asking serious questions of HSE or whoever is responsible, but im thinking positive so its only a passing negative thought.

redhugh

Sorry to hear of your Da's situation. I work with a man (55) who had it and recovered fully  and is now back to work and going grand.Difficult times ,but not unmanagable by any stretch. As he put it " all that crap cos I was too afraid to let my doctor put his finger up me hole!"

Drumanee 1

sorry to hear that sligonian but like redhugh i too have a good news story,my 57year old uncle was given the terrible news about 6 months ago and after surgery has made a full recovery and is back working and was told just last week by his doctor he did not need to see him for a year and hopefully this will turn out to be a similar story for your father.

SLIGONIAN

Thanks lads, dont like to broadcast negative stories thats why I started good news thread the other day which plummeted fairly lively, trying to thnk positive, tough week last week, seen this on AFR but cant log on there for some reason, dont think im banned :D, but in Qatar and obviously preying on my mind so thats why i posted. Good to hear its treatable and no harm creating awareness.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 12:57:13 PM
Thanks lads, dont like to broadcast negative stories thats why I started good news thread the other day which plummeted fairly lively, trying to thnk positive, tough week last week, seen this on AFR but cant log on there for some reason, dont think im banned :D, but in Qatar and obviously preying on my mind so thats why i posted. Good to hear its treatable and no harm creating awareness.

the one thing i will tell you speaking from experience dont google or search the net with regards your fathers condition,it will do your head in as most are negative and worse case scenario

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on August 22, 2009, 01:01:06 PM

the one thing i will tell you speaking from experience dont google or search the net with regards your fathers condition,it will do your head in as most are negative and worse case scenario

Ya no intention of doing that, and my Dad cant use computer so safe enough there.

redhugh

The fella I was talking about went to see a herbalist/nutritionist before his op, and he swears by this fella, put him onto sunflower seeds,pumpkin seeds and organic beetroot,along with a collection of herbal pills. He still munches away on the seeds and swears by them - reckons that they had a good bit to do with his recovery.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: redhugh on August 22, 2009, 01:35:33 PM
The fella I was talking about went to see a herbalist/nutritionist before his op, and he swears by this fella, put him onto sunflower seeds,pumpkin seeds and organic beetroot,along with a collection of herbal pills. He still munches away on the seeds and swears by them - reckons that they had a good bit to do with his recovery.

Sounds interesting, can you pm his contact details or his website,,, def worth a look.

redhugh

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 02:05:02 PM
Quote from: redhugh on August 22, 2009, 01:35:33 PM

Sounds interesting, can you pm his contact details or his website,,, def worth a look.

Sure - will chat to him on Monday and see what contact details I can get for ye.

stew

Sligonian i pray everything goes well for your dad and obviously wish him all the best. My wife works in the medical field and at a cancer clinic, she is a clinical trials nurse anddeals with this sort of cancer all the time, i can tell you that the success rate is much higher these days than it was ten years ago however when i mentioned the amount of time your dad had to wait she was disgusted, that is eleven and a half months too long, over here he would have gotten the results back in a week.

One last thing, make sure your da knows little about the fact that you are pissed off at the length of time it took to get his results back, he does not need the stress as that will make things worse but the wife told me to tell you that you should ask serious questions and find out who fecked up because it could be going on for other people also. That is madness, a feckin year to get test results back, his doctor should be held accountable as well.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2009, 12:10:03 PM

My Dad retired 4 yrs because of heart attack, and has been tested ever since for all this kinda stuff at 3 month intervals, he had a biopsy 12 months ago and we only got results last week. To me thats way to long, and doesnt make sense to be honest and I just hope we havent lost valuable time. If it very serious I'll be on the first plane home and I'll be asking serious questions of HSE or whoever is responsible, but im thinking positive so its only a passing negative thought.
What?! That's just not good enough.  I know your concern will be with your da at the minute but I'd be asking serious questions and demanding answers about that.

Anyway, I hope all works out for him, just try and keep positive, doctors can do amazing things these days.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stew on August 22, 2009, 02:30:57 PM

Sligonian i pray everything goes well for your dad and obviously wish him all the best. My wife works in the medical field and at a cancer clinic, she is a clinical trials nurse anddeals with this sort of cancer all the time, i can tell you that the success rate is much higher these days than it was ten years ago however when i mentioned the amount of time your dad had to wait she was disgusted, that is eleven and a half months too long, over here he would have gotten the results back in a week.

One last thing, make sure your da knows little about the fact that you are pissed off at the length of time it took to get his results back, he does not need the stress as that will make things worse but the wife told me to tell you that you should ask serious questions and find out who fecked up because it could be going on for other people also. That is madness, a feckin year to get test results back, his doctor should be held accountable as well.

Well you see my family are the type to not complain but I am, doctor said he did biopsy just in case and said highly unlikely to be cancerous at the time, in fact they were so lertharic with the results we thought it must be all clear so therefore didnt push to hear results, we were all shocked last week and now I want them to get a sense of urgency and the doctor now is saying he is very optimistic which means feck all to me tbh. Actually i honestly dont know if these results are out of date by a few months... :(, i'll have to get Dads doctor nr and have a polite chat to know what the story is myself, just put my mind in the clear about this. You see we wouldnt have a clue how long results for this should or shouldnt be, but of course I was angry when I found out...way too long IMO.

stew

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 02:48:56 PM
Quote from: stew on August 22, 2009, 02:30:57 PM

Well you see my family are the type to not complain but I am, doctor said he did biopsy just in case and said highly unlikely to be cancerous at the time, in fact they were so lertharic with the results we thought it must be all clear so therefore didnt push to hear results, we were all shocked last week and now I want them to get a sense of urgency and the doctor now is saying he is very optimistic which means feck all to me tbh. Actually i honestly dont know if these results are out of date by a few months... :(, i'll have to get Dads doctor nr and have a polite chat to know what the story is myself, just put my mind in the clear about this. You see we wouldnt have a clue how long results for this should or shouldnt be, but of course I was angry when I found out...way too long IMO.

This is neglegence, BC could probably verify that.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.