United Ireland, what would you give up or not give up if it where a reality?

Started by Son_of_Sam, August 22, 2009, 07:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteThings I would not give up, but would you?

I would not give up our status as a Republic free of the Commonwealth, would you rejoin it? I would hate that to happen.
I would not have the South join the United Kingdom to see iit happend, would you?
I would not put any Royal symbol or Union Jack on the Irish flag to see reunification (Yes I know what the Orange stands for)
I would not like to see further Anglisation to see this happen.

You implied it was a United Ireland under Irish rule, so why would we be joining the UK, putting royal symbols on our flag or joining the commonwealth? As for the anglisation of Ireland well that has nothing to do with the unification of the country. As far as i'm aware Protestants in the South can live and vote as they please and I would expect that to continue for Protestants in the North in a untied Ireland. If I have to pay more taxes to make that happen then so be it, if my area of Ireland has to do without because funds are needed for the North then so be it and if we have to have Orange marches through the streets of Dublin in July then that's alright too.

Zapatista

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 22, 2009, 09:12:51 AM

Things I would not give up, but would you?

I would not give up our status as a Republic free of the Commonwealth, would you rejoin it? I would hate that to happen.

No. There is no need as we are part of the EU.

I would not have the South join the United Kingdom to see iit happend, would you?

No. The common idea and one which I subscibe to is an end to the Union. Not for any Nationalistic reason but because I've seen what the British are capable of and I don't like it.

I would not put any Royal symbol or Union Jack on the Irish flag to see reunification (Yes I know what the Orange stands for)

Neither would I because there would be no reason to in a Republic. In fact it would contradict the flag of a Republic. Not really a big issue though as you could fly a pair of old pants as our national flag for all I care.

I would not like to see further Anglisation to see this happen.

Your fighting a loosing battle there Son and it has little to do with partition.

Chrisowc

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on August 22, 2009, 09:10:19 AM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 22, 2009, 08:54:39 AM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on August 22, 2009, 08:42:04 AM
Its not the way you think it would be.....Imagine the payoff's from the UK if they handed over the same way as Hong Kong a few yrs ago...Yes the HS is better up here but theres the people who run it that would be great to run a all ireland HS....Believe me I work in the Civil service up North and i would love to see our country united even if it ultimately cost me my job!!!  I can get another one but i may not live long enuf to see my country united....You just have to ask yourself How Irish r u?

I am Irish. I have no problems or questions about that. Well at least you are showing something that you could contribute to an expanded Irish State. I look to the way East Germany crippled the West. Two years ago this was a concern to me, now it is a major concern with the Irish state already in trouble even without the economic burnden of re-unification. Good luck to you if you will find a new job in a new State that needs less people to do the same jobs, some of us had to emmigrate.

Some of my friends had to emigrate as well.....I have mates all over the world...

In fact I lived in NY myself for a while myself but got homesick.....

You really wanna live up here for a while and then you would really appreciate the freedom you have..... When I was 18 i worked in a country bar that was a "easy target" so to speak.....Have been shot at, blast bomb threw at tha bar door and a man murdered about 400 yrds down the road......Its great now there's peace. My sisters just had a wee child to a protestant fella( Great guy BTW) and our family and his get on great......Would never have happened 10-15 yrs ago...so looks llike its getting better!

Going by your posts I'd reckon we are a similar age and don't live too far from each other.  We both grew up with the same sh*te but to suggest that things are tough in Northern Ireland and that you, as a Irish Nationlist/(Republican?), don't have the same freedom as Son_of_Sam is ludicrous.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 09:33:37 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2009, 09:08:07 AM
I want to see a United Ireland and I'd be willing to take on whatever financial scarifices are necessary to make this a reality. In fact there is nothing I wouldn't give up to see it become a reality.

Seconded, we would financially recover eventually from re unification. Look at the peace down South 3 generations on from the early 1900s.

Would the unionists stick around and cause trouble or would they be peaceful with regards a United Ireland? I suppose if they didnt like it they could go back where they came from ;). I wonder would a United Ireland mean no more oo marches...

Ha ha Sligonian you can't even recover from Tom Parsons playing for Mayo, never mind re-Unification  :D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 22, 2009, 09:44:39 AM
I want to see a United Ireland and I'd be willing to take on whatever financial scarifices are necessary to make this a reality. In fact there is nothing I wouldn't give up to see it become a reality.

Seconded, we would financially recover eventually from re unification. Look at the peace down South 3 generations on from the early 1900s.

Would the unionists stick around and cause trouble or would they be peaceful with regards a United Ireland? I suppose if they didnt like it they could go back where they came from ;). I wonder would a United Ireland mean no more oo marches...

Ha ha Sligonian you can't even recover from Tom Parsons playing for Mayo, never mind re-Unification  :D

Money doenst mean as much to me as my beloved Sligo so its easier to let go ;), I am over the parsons thing, 2yrs after finding out I will admit :D.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Son_of_Sam

Holy Christ I have just thought of a major beneift of a United Ireland, an extra 1.6 million people to help counterbalance the injustices of the Dublin hegemony on social, intrasctructural, economic development & the provision of services in the South which is sadly becoming the City State of Dublin, with Leinster now Greater Dublin. Munster, Connacht & the Border counties places to pillage resources such as gas, skilled workers, graduates & to go on holiday too and moan about the locals  :)  I'm getting hooked on the Federation Idea.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Chrisowc on August 22, 2009, 09:43:10 AM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on August 22, 2009, 09:10:19 AM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 22, 2009, 08:54:39 AM
Its not the way you think it would be.....Imagine the payoff's from the UK if they handed over the same way as Hong Kong a few yrs ago...Yes the HS is better up here but theres the people who run it that would be great to run a all ireland HS....Believe me I work in the Civil service up North and i would love to see our country united even if it ultimately cost me my job!!!  I can get another one but i may not live long enuf to see my country united....You just have to ask yourself How Irish r u?

I am Irish. I have no problems or questions about that. Well at least you are showing something that you could contribute to an expanded Irish State. I look to the way East Germany crippled the West. Two years ago this was a concern to me, now it is a major concern with the Irish state already in trouble even without the economic burnden of re-unification. Good luck to you if you will find a new job in a new State that needs less people to do the same jobs, some of us had to emmigrate.

Some of my friends had to emigrate as well.....I have mates all over the world...

In fact I lived in NY myself for a while myself but got homesick.....

You really wanna live up here for a while and then you would really appreciate the freedom you have..... When I was 18 i worked in a country bar that was a "easy target" so to speak.....Have been shot at, blast bomb threw at tha bar door and a man murdered about 400 yrds down the road......Its great now there's peace. My sisters just had a wee child to a protestant fella( Great guy BTW) and our family and his get on great......Would never have happened 10-15 yrs ago...so looks llike its getting better!

Going by your posts I'd reckon we are a similar age and don't live too far from each other.  We both grew up with the same sh*te but to suggest that things are tough in Northern Ireland and that you, as a Irish Nationlist/(Republican?), don't have the same freedom as Son_of_Sam is ludicrous.

At that time i didnt chris....I was about 18 and had to work in a pub that was shot at 3 times...It wasn't nice being there by yourself! Believe me its great now....My sis has a child to a protestant guy and me(my family) and his family get on great and i've met a lot of new friends from it so its all good.......Maybe just a small thing but it's definately getting better...( although there's still W***ers on all sides) that don't wanna move on. Me Personally I dont care what anyone is as long as you respect me...Its a two way thing...Treat others as you would be expected to be treated!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Son_of_Sam

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Chrisowc on August 22, 2009, 10:07:13 AM
Agreed!

Good to see we agree on something.....lol

No seriously i would never ever wanna go back to how it used to be! If you do live beside me as you said maybe we'll end up out for a pint someday...(although not at a NI match) lol
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

redhugh

I think we need to get our heads around the fact that the oo is here to stay, and in the eventuality of a UI they will have to be fully incorporated into the new Ireland. I would imagine that the treatment of the oo in a UI would be an issue of massive concern for unionists faced with the reality of such change and will therefore have to be dealt with very carefully.

Zulu

I think they'd find the vast majorityof people in the 26 counties more accomodating than their political mouthpieces like to portray.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 22, 2009, 09:09:01 AM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on August 22, 2009, 08:52:19 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on August 22, 2009, 08:45:23 AM
You just have to ask yourself How Irish r u?

No you don't. The is no definition of being Irish other than being from Ireland.

So if you down there don't accept the 6 counties in to your Irish Republic do you consider me Irish or British? Thats the question.....And would you vote for a United Ireland?

You really dont know how much it would mean to people up here to live in "Ireland"....I hope I'm still alive to see it some day!

On the question of you being Irish, of course you are, you are only British if you think you are, which I doubht you do. On the second question about voting on a United Ireland I would like to say yes, but I would need to know what it would cost us economicaly, political & socially. Actually as an acceptable alternative to the Irish State expanding to make everything up there like down here, would only like to see it if we could have each province to have a type of statehood within an Irish Federation. Let Connacht run Connachts affairs and the other Provinces theirs, I would have that Gas & Oil straight onshore and straight into the Connacht economy. Use the gas money to help beneift places like North West Mayo, Leitrim, North Roscommon, East Mayo etc. Yes now I sound like a certain faction of another branch of Republicans but sometimes good ideas come from the strangest places.

Hardly in the true spirit of the man on your avatar, maybe you should change the picture to John Bruton or something.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2009, 10:44:31 AM
I think they'd find the vast majorityof people in the 26 counties more accomodating than their political mouthpieces like to portray.

The same clowns that would welcome british royalty maybe; but there in the minority arent they? Its the ones detached from what the brits did to us and their own ignorance that maybe would tolerate oo or royalty.

They wont be marching in my village celebrating tyranny and victories of days past without a fierce protest  >:(. Id look to get the marches outright banned tbh. There is no need for them, they promote hatred as far as im concerned. You dont see the Japanese marching celebrating their victory in pearl harbour in Hawaii do you? Americans rightly wouldnt tolerate that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

AS I've often said  I believe in practice the re unification process will be in the form of a Confederation of 2 "whatever you want to call them"s ...26 Cos and 6 Cos.
Stormont and the Dáil will remain in charge of a lot of internal affairs in both areas while major Foreign/Economic/ and other issues will be dealt with by the Confederacy Parliament/Governement/Executive.
The 26 can keep its number plates/bilingual road signs,€, while the 6  can have its own car registrations,tri lingual  :D road signs and have 2 currencies £/€ if they so wish. Also can retain Brit citizenship if they wish.
Hopefully by then the Orange Order will have become a mainly fundamentalist Protestant sect which can have colourful marches anywhere there is no controversy e.g Rossnowlagh.
One thing I'd def give up is NAMA ( the other being Mayo of course  ;D)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM