Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:06:13 AM
So Kevin Lynch's hurling club or Ó Dochartaigh/Mac Donáill park??

Both (I presume) got the go ahead from HQ.
From what I remember Kevin Lynch's, was it last year?, was organised by the club he was a member of.

I dont recall this croke park one donagh has mentioned.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2009, 01:04:35 AM
Quote from: Donagh on August 22, 2009, 01:02:50 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:00:03 AM
Eh, it was held in a field. Now i'm not overly familiar with Galbally, but i'd imagine there's more than one field.

With public liability insurance?

Donagh, like myself, I'm sure you've stood at plenty of these events in graveyards and on the road, why wasnt this suitable for this event?
Also, I'd say this is an annual march, where did speeches take place in previous years?

Same place, same venue Pints. So why all the hullabuloo now, I wonder?
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Maguire01

Eh, it was held in a field. Now i'm not overly familiar with Galbally, but i'd imagine there's more than one field.

Would a GAA club's public liability insurance cover such an event (being outside of the normal activities such a venue would normally be insured for)?

Furthermore, if it did, would it be appropriate to have to claim on it as the result of an incident occuring at such an event?

Donagh

Donagh, like myself, I'm sure you've stood at plenty of these events in graveyards and on the road, why wasnt this suitable for this event?
Also, I'd say this is an annual march, where did speeches take place in previous years?

In previous years it has been held in Casement or outside Belfast city hall. I presume the organisers are trying to bring it outside the city and as you say we've stood about in enough graveyards over the years to be going back to that kind of thing again.

I also have to wonder that if this happened south of the border would there be as much fuss, as I remember playing a football match against Ballyconnell a few years back before we unveiled the Kieran Doherty memorial. Wasn't a word said about that.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:09:36 AM

It's in the field every year? I am surprised.
Hullabuloo about it now because a bigot has got wind of it and won't stop ranting until he gets his pound of flesh.

Well we know what happened when it was held in Casement as well Donagh.  Sinn Fein, again, used the GAA and dont particularly care what back lash the GAA have to face.  As far as I know repbulicans are still standing in graveyards and on roads listening to speeches.

What dont you understand HS?

020304 Tir Eoghain

What does everyone think about the Martin Hurson Memorial Tournament held every year? Is it OK for this
to take place, or should this be discontinued? I remember reading about some DUP'er complaining about this
as well, either last year or the year before.

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:07:11 AM
I think if you knew any of the members of Galbally GFC, they are more
than able to stand up for themselves. However, since the Ulster Council have issued a statement, i think we
should leave it in their capable hands for now.
I think the point is that you'd have to know them all.
As has already been said, there's little doubt that the majority of the club members had no issue with this. And maybe all of them were behind this. But neither you nor I can speak for all of them.

dillinger

2. The commemoration hosted on the pitch before an actual game, by Glentoran FC for the late David Ervine PUP/UVF

Rem. the shinners who where at his funeral? Apart from that, do we have to give the DUP a big stick to attack the GAA?

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2009, 01:14:47 AM
Well we know what happened when it was held in Casement as well Donagh.  Sinn Fein, again, used the GAA and dont particularly care what back lash the GAA have to face.
Again, I have to agree with this. This is no SF 'bashing' for the sake of it. If the party members cared about the GAA as much as they say, they shouldn't put the Association in such positions.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 22, 2009, 01:14:47 AM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:09:36 AM

It's in the field every year? I am surprised.
Hullabuloo about it now because a bigot has got wind of it and won't stop ranting until he gets his pound of flesh.

Well we know what happened when it was held in Casement as well Donagh.  Sinn Fein, again, used the GAA and dont particularly care what back lash the GAA have to face.  As far as I know repbulicans are still standing in graveyards and on roads listening to speeches.

What dont you understand HS?

So we should listen to one bigot, as opposed to what the vast majority of the local nationalist community want?

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:10:03 AM
Would a GAA club's public liability insurance cover such an event (being outside of the normal activities such a venue would normally be insured for)?

Furthermore, if it did, would it be appropriate to have to claim on it as the result of an incident occuring at such an event?

GAA grounds are hired out for community events every night of the week. Of course they're covered and of course it's appropriate. I hired out my own club last year for an event commerating the 'Shoot to Kill' incidents and a neighbouring club held a football tournament. These were community events, not party political because some Shinner happened to attend or be invited.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: dillinger on August 22, 2009, 01:16:55 AM

2. The commemoration hosted on the pitch before an actual game, by Glentoran FC for the late David Ervine PUP/UVF

Rem. the shinners who where at his funeral? Apart from that, do we have to give the DUP a big stick to attack the GAA?

No you dont, they seem capable of attacking it anyway.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Donagh on August 22, 2009, 01:19:22 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 22, 2009, 01:10:03 AM

GAA grounds are hired out for community events every night of the week. Of course they're covered and of course it's appropriate. I hired out my own club last year for an event commerating the 'Shoot to Kill' incidents and a neighbouring club held a football tournament. These were community events, not party political because some Shinner happened to attend or be invited.

as was the Hunger Strike Commemoration.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2009, 01:18:14 AM
I didn't understand your post at all, pints. I am not talking about a 'do'. I'm talking about the club's name.
Oh right, I misunderstood, thought you meant the march thing they had last year.

From what I can gather the club is called after him as he was an exceptional hurler rather than for his political activities and death.  That's fair enough in my eyes.

QuoteSo we should listen to one bigot, as opposed to what the vast majority of the local nationalist community want?
The bigot only highlighted the interest, I couldnt give a shite about him, I said from the beginning of this thread I care about the GAA and it's members who may not like this. 

Maguire01

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 22, 2009, 01:18:53 AM
So we should listen to one bigot, as opposed to what the vast majority of the local nationalist community want?
McCausland is merely a distraction. The GAA will never appease the likes of him, no matter what. Forget about him - that's not the point.

And as has already been said, the club is part of an Association - they can't just do their own thing because that's what some of the locals want.