Saddest day following your county?

Started by Mayo4Sam, August 18, 2009, 09:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 19, 2009, 10:47:13 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 18, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 18, 2009, 08:13:24 PM
1982 and 2001 losses. Painful to this day.

2005  2008... it's okay to admit it  ;)
FFS ::)

He's probably right about 2008 though CTK.

Losing the Munster Final to Cork after being eight points up at HT in the Langers' back yard must have been a right kick in the stones for the Kingdom faithful!  ;)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ballinaman

All Ireland Final 2006 Kerry 4-15 Mayo 3-5...

God god. One thing we thought before the game, we won't get hammered and make a game of it unlike 04. This team was different after coming back from 7 down against Dublin in the semi.

Boom. Could nearly feel the blood draining from my face standing on the hill.

Royalranter

I think it has to be losing to Galway in the 01 final. Sickening.It still hurts now. And no matter what anybody says, beating a team that beat your team in a year gone by does nothing to ease the hurt. Beating Galway in 07 made no difference. So mayo fans, if you finally ever beat one of the list of teams you want revenge on, it won't ease any pain or suffering, only Sam Maguire can do that!!!!
Let em know your there

ross4life

Quote from: Royalranter on August 20, 2009, 04:06:36 PM
I think it has to be losing to Galway in the 01 final. Sickening.It still hurts now. And no matter what anybody says, beating a team that beat your team in a year gone by does nothing to ease the hurt. Beating Galway in 07 made no difference. So mayo fans, if you finally ever beat one of the list of teams you want revenge on, it won't ease any pain or suffering, only Sam Maguire can do that!!!!

Hey we beat Mayo in 2001 connacht final, & since then they have beaten us a 1000 times but every time we play them again its "lets get Revenge for 2001" ::)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hereiam

1995 All Ireland Final against Dublin. We were robbed that year.

seafoid

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 18, 2009, 11:01:30 AM
'83 - Football - I was a very very sad 10 year old trooping out of Croke Park that day

'89 - Hurling - An absolute disaster of a year with the Keady affair that was topped only by that bollox of a ref, John Denton, in the semi v Tipp.  The auld fella hasnt been at a Galway hurling match since  :-\.

1989 was wrong. But Tipp were desperate, you had to feel sorry for them. All those all-Irelands and the premier county and the doyles and turles and hell's kitchen and they couldn't win a match fair and square.

I never felt that sad following Galway actually. You know they'll be back once they get their shit together. I tend to be sad for Mayo. 1996 the replay was probably the worst. 

seafoid

The effect of that match on the Meath psyche never fails to amaze me. It must have been like that when the Spanish killed Montezuma and took over the Aztec empire. Everything went arseways all of a sudden. Even sacrificing Sean Boylan later made no difference.

comethekingdom

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 19, 2009, 11:29:18 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on August 19, 2009, 10:47:13 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 18, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 18, 2009, 08:13:24 PM
1982 and 2001 losses. Painful to this day.

2005  2008... it's okay to admit it  ;)
FFS ::)

He's probably right about 2008 though CTK.

Losing the Munster Final to Cork after being eight points up at HT in the Langers' back yard must have been a right kick in the stones for the Kingdom faithful!  ;)
Aye ! losing to Cork is really the most painful thing ever.

Farrandeelin

Yeah, that 06 final as Ballinaman really made me feel sad. The games I mentioned a decade before left me angry more than sad. I know people who haven't gone to a football game since.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

agorm

Saddest day in a sporting context as someone indicated earlier.

For me, the number 1 was the defeat to Down in 1991 after such a great year.

I had many sad occasions in the 1970's listening ion the radio to a very good  Meath team coming up short time and time again against Dublin.

Also sad in a way to miss 1996 as I missed the replay due to prior work committments and the persistant moaning from Tyrone & Mayo supporters. Not trying to reopen old wounds at all but that great event kind of passed me by for those two reasons.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: agorm on August 20, 2009, 10:32:59 PM
Also sad in a way to miss 1996 as I missed the replay due to prior work committments and the persistant moaning from Tyrone & Mayo supporters. Not trying to reopen old wounds at all but that great event kind of passed me by for those two reasons.

Good!  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2009, 09:34:22 PM

The effect of that match on the Meath psyche never fails to amaze me. It must have been like that when the Spanish killed Montezuma and took over the Aztec empire. Everything went arseways all of a sudden. Even sacrificing Sean Boylan later made no difference.
It amazes me the philosphy of some of the people on this board. I take my hat of to you thats the best thing I've heard on here!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Mongander

Quote from: Hereiam on August 20, 2009, 05:16:45 PM
1995 All Ireland Final against Dublin. We were robbed that year.

Paddy Russell, Charlie Redmond, the disallowed point, Canavan's performance - Tyrone robbed of our first All-Ireland...sad times.
:'(
Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ziggysego on August 19, 2009, 03:44:07 PM
Sorry guys and gals.

In that case, has to be the 2002 Quarter-Final in Croke Park then against Sligo. Thankfully I wasn't at the game, but was watching it in a pub in London with a group of friends. I really though that this was Tyrone breakthrough year.
agree with that ziggy, from a football point of view sligo was the low point.
left dublin that day thinking we were never going to win an all ireland
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either