2010 Congress is a Games Rule Changing one. Which one would you change?

Started by Seany, August 13, 2009, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Cloch Scoilte

Abolish the square ball rule, but have it that you're not allowed in the square at all. If you enter the square at all it's a foul. This way it would get rid of the uncertainness of whether the player entered the square at all.

Denn Forever

Would love to see time keeping taken care of off the pitch as in Ladies' football with a claxon at the end.

The difficulty would be in the Division six games, who does the timekeeping?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Archie Mitchell

Typical SidelineKick dragging the board down even lower with his ass wiping threads.

ludermor

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on August 14, 2009, 12:42:05 PM
Abolish the square ball rule, but have it that you're not allowed in the square at all. If you enter the square at all it's a foul. This way it would get rid of the uncertainness of whether the player entered the square at all.
what happens when the ball drops into the goalie hands? Can he hold onto it as long as he like? he is effectivaly getting a mark but the full forward can stand/jump in front of him but wont be able to tackle him. WOuld be great craic in the dying seconds of the game and there are loads of lads around the box!

western exile

Quote from: ludermor on August 14, 2009, 02:03:36 PM
what happens when the ball drops into the goalie hands? Can he hold onto it as long as he like? he is effectivaly getting a mark but the full forward can stand/jump in front of him but wont be able to tackle him. WOuld be great craic in the dying seconds of the game and there are loads of lads around the box!
But a goalie cannot be tackled within the 6m "square" anyway under the current rules

stpauls

Quote from: ludermor on August 14, 2009, 02:03:36 PM

i would say this would come under the same rule as someone holding on to the ball too long, a 13 metre free is given to the opposition. there is the problem that the keeper could just stand there and solo the ball until the final whistle blew, but another rule could be implemented that as soon as he takes a bounce or solo, he has a certain number of seconds to release the ball to another player or again it is a 13 metre free in.

prewtna

you know how in the match stats the actual playing time in the game is approx 50-55% of the total match time,

well, to speed up the game - a max of 5 seconds to take a free kick once awarded, unless of course a player is deemed to be injured.
would reduce a lot of wasted time and keep the game flowing a lot better. there would be none of this business of throwing the ball around until someone decides to take the kick. maybe he who is fouled must take the kick??

for goal kicks and 45s maybe 10-15 seconds (or whatever) and allow the goal kick to be taken from the hands - again it would speed things up a bit.

but to be honest theres not a whole lot wrong with the games rules.

tyronebhoy

Quotethere is the problem that the keeper could just stand there and solo the ball until the final whistle blew, but another rule could be implemented that as soon as he takes a bounce or solo, he has a certain number of seconds to release the ball to another player or again it is a 13 metre free in.

To stop the keeper doing that all the full forward has to do is run into the box and a free out will be given and the keeper will have to kick it out.

Hardy

Quote from: western exile on August 14, 2009, 02:15:38 PM
But a goalie cannot be tackled within the 6m "square" anyway under the current rules

He can. He can't be shoulder-charged (I have no idea why), but he can be tackled.

What's a goal kick?

Frank Casey

1. Take time keeping from the ref. Use Ladies hooter system (kinda sounds dirty!)
2. Double suspensions for failed appeals. Offer incentive to take your punishment.
3. Suspensions to be for specific no. of games in specific competitions.
4. Ban wasps from vicinity of playing fields.
KERRY 3:7

ildanach

i would like to see:

1 A mark introduced for fielding direct from the kick out as long the kickout goes a minimum of 45m
2 No more than 3 hand passes before a kick pass must be made
3 Time keeping duties taken off the referee
4 Suspensions to be in number of games not months
5 A citing commissioner introduced with all appeals and suspensions handed out to be dealt with withinin 2 week of the game
6 Extra time after all games, then a replay if required, then extra time again then points from play to decide the winners
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Main Street

I´d like to see this rule strictly enforced for the throw ball.

players, except those two contesting the throw-
in,shall be 13m from where the throw-in is
awarded.

Maybe even with the add on, that the players outside the 13m zone can not encroach even after the ball has been thrown in.

Rossfan

Abolish the fcukin handpass. If not restrict it so that anyone receiving a handpass cannot handpass themselves.
After that enforce the rules that are there and (in football especially) dont blow the whistle every time a player touches an opponent while trying to go for the ball( Mr McQuillan please note >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thirteen03

I agree with not letting attackers in the square, simply because it would be easier to enforce than the current square ball rule.

How about, to stop players holding onto the ball when they've conceded a free and to stop general handbags after a free is awarded, move the ball on 30 or 40 metres instead of 13. It might seem drastic at first but it would make more frees scoreable and therefore should be a good deterrent. As someone said this is how a lot of melees start, especially at club level.

On only allowing free kicks to be scored off the ground, I think this would make fouling more worthwhile so I wouldn't be in favour of it. Again at club level you'll not always have men who can knock frees over off the ground so fouling will be an excellent way to stop a good attack.

Bud Wiser

QuoteI suppose its not really a rule but I would have to agree with the posters that mentioned the umpires.  For too long they've been props in the game, merely waving the white or green flag after a score.

I like when umpires make a call and stick to it.  The shambles of "was it or wasnt it a point" is happening too often these days.

I am down in my shed in the back garden at the moment trying to resolve this issue and I have a yoke ready for test firing for next Sunday.  Basicly what I have are specially designed directional transmitters.  These are in the low frequency range of 5-10Htz and would have a short transmit range of 8-9'.  Since a number of these would be implanted in the posts in a vertical line, and since both would overlap in the middle and since neither would be strong enough to 'reach the other side' all areas in between the posts would be able to mreceive their transmission.  All that is left to do then is to implant one of them new paper thin batteries inside the ball along with a receiver and a small transmitter like I use in surveilance jobbies.  Then when the ball passes between the posts the signal is received, relayed to the transmitter in the ball and it sends out a signal.  The ref wears a belt or suspenders or some way of carrying a small receiver from which a probe is attached to one cheek of his arse and he gets a little shock when the ball passes between the posts.  The added advantage of the probe is that spectators can see when the ref does a little jump that the ball was between the posts wheras if he is merely scratching his arse it would be a wide.  Does anyone want to plough some money into this project as I have a proto-type ready now?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"