2010 Congress is a Games Rule Changing one. Which one would you change?

Started by Seany, August 13, 2009, 11:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

1. Hawkeye type devise in Croker - no arguments about points or whether or not the ball crosses the goalline.

2. I like the idea of marks for kickouts beyond the 45.

3. No substitutions after 65 minutes. I hate the way managers can kill time in the most exciting part of the game.

4. Time keeping as in Ladies football.

5. Mandatory doubling of suspensions for unsuccessful appeals.
MWWSI 2017

Bud Wiser

Hawkeye type devise, whats this hawkeye type devise, is my idea shot to pieces, am I wasting my time down in this shed?

Another rule that I would implement in both hurling and football is a free against players who run up to, and then turn their back on their man and either backing into them or drawing a foul.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

Thanks Muppet, had a look at their site there and the first thing was they have not developed it for soccer yet. The second thing was they have to send a crew to every game like a sound crew for a U2 concert.  There seems to be a lot of setting up and dismantling so their idea would not be viable unless for a big game in Croke Park wheras my invention could be fitted with a few sheep wire staples to every pair of posts in the country.  Also with the probe insertion as described I have cut down on manpowere as opposed to increasing it.  Their system requires a crew to operate it and they would still need the umpires like in cricket or tennis to wave their arms about whereas with my invention the referee will jump about two foot off the ground with every score and there is no need for umpires at all.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

bcarrier

Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: western exile on August 14, 2009, 02:15:38 PM
But a goalie cannot be tackled within the 6m "square" anyway under the current rules

He can. He can't be shoulder-charged (I have no idea why), but he can be tackled.

What's a goal kick?

I believe there was a fad in 60s for shouldering keeper and ball over the line. Sounds like good entertainment. The goalkeepers union must have been strong at the time to get the rule changed.

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on August 16, 2009, 05:52:26 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: western exile on August 14, 2009, 02:15:38 PM
But a goalie cannot be tackled within the 6m "square" anyway under the current rules

He can. He can't be shoulder-charged (I have no idea why), but he can be tackled.

What's a goal kick?

I believe there was a fad in 60s for shouldering keeper and ball over the line. Sounds like good entertainment. The goalkeepers union must have been strong at the time to get the rule changed.

I believe in those days they picked full back lines consisting of men able to discourage forwards from trying.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

I'd just like the referees, linesmen and umpires to implement the rules we already have and on a consistent basis.

It should not be too much to ask but apparently it's impossible for them to do that.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

western exile

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 16, 2009, 02:33:42 PM
QuoteI suppose its not really a rule but I would have to agree with the posters that mentioned the umpires.  For too long they've been props in the game, merely waving the white or green flag after a score.

I like when umpires make a call and stick to it.  The shambles of "was it or wasnt it a point" is happening too often these days.

I am down in my shed in the back garden at the moment trying to resolve this issue and I have a yoke ready for test firing for next Sunday.  Basicly what I have are specially designed directional transmitters.  These are in the low frequency range of 5-10Htz and would have a short transmit range of 8-9'.  Since a number of these would be implanted in the posts in a vertical line, and since both would overlap in the middle and since neither would be strong enough to 'reach the other side' all areas in between the posts would be able to mreceive their transmission.  All that is left to do then is to implant one of them new paper thin batteries inside the ball along with a receiver and a small transmitter like I use in surveilance jobbies.  Then when the ball passes between the posts the signal is received, relayed to the transmitter in the ball and it sends out a signal.  The ref wears a belt or suspenders or some way of carrying a small receiver from which a probe is attached to one cheek of his arse and he gets a little shock when the ball passes between the posts.  The added advantage of the probe is that spectators can see when the ref does a little jump that the ball was between the posts wheras if he is merely scratching his arse it would be a wide.  Does anyone want to plough some money into this project as I have a proto-type ready now?
Do you have an electronic solution for when an umpire cannot decide correctly if the ball was a 45 or a wide even though he is only 2m away from it? 
There does not seem to be any quality in umpires.  They should at the very least be a referee like the linesmen are.

thewobbler

Given the sh1te being put forward on this thread, it's a good job that a substantial majority is required before rule changes can happen.

Before making a suggestion on this subject, I'd ask people to consider the following things:

1. Will your ideas fundamentally change the way the game is played? If so, you should go watch a different sport as Gaelic Games obviously don't do it for you.
2. Have you thought your idea through properly? What are the side effects of such a change? Will these side effects be worth putting up with if the idea went through?
3. Is your idea going to work at grass roots level? I mean, there must by 50,000 GAA matches a year, and only a couple of dozen of those take place at Croke Park. Is it really beneficial to being in changes to our games that will only affect 0.0001% of fixtures?

macdanger2

Quote from: botman on August 14, 2009, 09:46:24 AM
Only allowed to kick scores from frees off the ground. Not out of the hands. Just think it's and art that is lost.

Definitely agree with that, players shooting from the hands steal about 2-3 yards and are never pulled for it. Frees from the hands should be allowed so long as you don't score from it though.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on August 16, 2009, 09:00:53 PM
Given the sh1te being put forward on this thread, it's a good job that a substantial majority is required before rule changes can happen.

Before making a suggestion on this subject, I'd ask people to consider the following things:

1. Will your ideas fundamentally change the way the game is played? If so, you should go watch a different sport as Gaelic Games obviously don't do it for you.
2. Have you thought your idea through properly? What are the side effects of such a change? Will these side effects be worth putting up with if the idea went through?
3. Is your idea going to work at grass roots level? I mean, there must by 50,000 GAA matches a year, and only a couple of dozen of those take place at Croke Park. Is it really beneficial to being in changes to our games that will only affect 0.0001% of fixtures?

Why didn't you just post one word....... 'none'?
MWWSI 2017

Bud Wiser

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 16, 2009, 02:33:42 PM
I suppose its not really a rule but I would have to agree with the posters that mentioned the umpires.  For too long they've been props in the game, merely waving the white or green flag after a score.

I like when umpires make a call and stick to it.  The shambles of "was it or wasnt it a point" is happening too often these days.

I am down in my shed in the back garden at the moment trying to resolve this issue and I have a yoke ready for test firing for next Sunday.  Basicly what I have are specially designed directional transmitters.  These are in the low frequency range of 5-10Htz and would have a short transmit range of 8-9'.  Since a number of these would be implanted in the posts in a vertical line, and since both would overlap in the middle and since neither would be strong enough to 'reach the other side' all areas in between the posts would be able to mreceive their transmission.  All that is left to do then is to implant one of them new paper thin batteries inside the ball along with a receiver and a small transmitter like I use in surveilance jobbies.  Then when the ball passes between the posts the signal is received, relayed to the transmitter in the ball and it sends out a signal.  The ref wears a belt or suspenders or some way of carrying a small receiver from which a probe is attached to one cheek of his arse and he gets a little shock when the ball passes between the posts.  The added advantage of the probe is that spectators can see when the ref does a little jump that the ball was between the posts wheras if he is merely scratching his arse it would be a wide.  Does anyone want to plough some money into this project as I have a proto-type ready now?

Do you have an electronic solution for when an umpire cannot decide correctly if the ball was a 45 or a wide even though he is only 2m away from it? 
There does not seem to be any quality in umpires.  They should at the very least be a referee like the linesmen are.

They don't have any umpires in soccer and they can determine whether its a corner or a wide?  In yesterdays game betwen Limerick and Tipp the umpire at one end was a brother of the ref and the umpire at the other end was his father so there was little point in consultation there as they were hardly going to disagree.  You could be an umpire blindfolded because all you have to do is listen to the crowd and you know if the ball is wide or over.  I remember down home a good few years ago and an uncle of mine would wave anything that was not over the black spot wide from the opposition in club games.  The uprights were a bit loose and a good shoulder against the post at the right time often decided the outcome of a game.  In the bigger scale of things umpires have being doing their jobs for the last 125 yrs and so why change now.  So what if mistakes are made now and again? A good sporting team will always say they should have won anyway and any manager that doesn't factor in a few decisions going against them is as mad as I am.

Shane MacGowan

A few off the top of my head...

2 points for a sideline cut.
Take the timekeeping off the ref he has enough to be at.
Red Card for lads diving (Tempted to name and shame but will refrain)
I think a Ref in each half wouldnt be a bad Idea either.

rrhf

1) Id like all free kicks within 50 yards of goal to be taken from the ground.
2) Automatic clock
3) 2 referees.

blewuporstuffed

to be honest i dont think there are major rule changes needed, as there isnt to much wrong with the game.
however, alot of rules need clarified and inforced properly.alot of the changes needed are small things

Something needs to be done with the squareball 'rule', like  suggested, maybe making it a no go area altogether would work.

the tackle needs to be better defined and  the rules consistently applied.
i think when a player in possesion of the ball goes to ground ,the opposing player shouldnt be able to touch him at all until he gets up,if he is tackled on the ground its a free, simple as that.the player can stand round him, but cannot tackle him until he gets up.
obviously if the player in possession holds on to it to long, its a free against.
I think this would take some of the uncertainty out of whats legal and whats not and i know a few referees that already apply the law like this and it seems to work well.
too often a player wins the ball, whether from a high catch or out in front of his man and goes to ground wile doing it, only to get battered on the ground while trying to get up and then gets blown for over carrying.

another rule which is a very small thing which i feel is silly is if a player takes a free too short, it is a free the other way, wereas if he takes it from the wrong place, its a hop ball.why are the two punishments different?i have seen it where a defending team has a free out and taken it too short (a foul fair enough) but then the referee awards a free in which leads to a handy score and seems far too harsh of a punishment to me for a technical foul like that.
the taking a free from the wrong place needs cleard up as well, some refs hop it, some make the player take it again and some do nothing at all!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either