Best Match you have ever seen?

Started by lilpaulie85, August 12, 2009, 04:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpaulie85

Mine would have to be the Cork vs Waterford, Munster Final 2004.
Chase the dream not the competition.

The Real Laoislad

If you mean as have been at the match I would say Kilkenny v Galway 2005 Semi Final
You'll Never Walk Alone.

seafoid

96 hurling final, the last 10 minutes

87 Hurling semifinal Galway-Tipp

90 final

The hurling in the 06 final was magnificent

Roashter

Cork v Waterford Munster final in 2004.
End to end stuff, with top class scores from both teams.

Limerick v Clare in 96 is another one that's up there. Completely different to above game in that there were far less scores even though the day was hotter. Just the sheer physicality and closeness of the game.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2009, 08:49:26 PM
96 hurling final, the last 10 minutes

87 Hurling semifinal Galway-Tipp

90 final

The hurling in the 06 final was magnificent

agree seafoid. I'd add the 2002 all-Ireland semi between Kilkenny and Tipp. The 1990 final was always my favourite final until 2006. And though not a great game I've always had a gra for the 1982 all-Ireland final. Likewise 1974 which is still the greatest comeback I've ever seen (even better than the faithful in 1994).

johnneycool

87 drawn Muster final, Tipp V Cork in Semple stadium.

I found the Clare v Cork AI semi-final in 2005 strangly entralling as it was fierce intense even if it wasn't as high scoring as the Galway, Kilkenny one which got all the plaudits a week later.

EddieMerx

1996 - Wexford against Offaly in the Leinster final.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: johnneycool on August 13, 2009, 10:54:24 AM

I found the Clare v Cork AI semi-final in 2005 strangly entralling as it was fierce intense even if it wasn't as high scoring as the Galway, Kilkenny one which got all the plaudits a week later.

I was there too Johnny... classic and some atmosphere.
Best memory tho... 1980 All Ireland final Galway V Limerick  great game... unreal occasion and speech and celebrations after... the West's Awake 

Donnellys Hollow

The drawn semi-final in 2003 between Wexford and Cork was a cracker. Rory McCarthy got a goal with the last puck of the game if I remember correctly.

Limerick Clare in 1996 would be up there as well. Ciarán Carey must have ran nearly 70 or 80 yards before slotting the winner.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 13, 2009, 03:40:28 PM
Limerick Clare in 1996 would be up there as well. Ciarán Carey must have ran nearly 70 or 80 yards before slotting the winner.

a memorable moment, but a god-awful game. It was on TG4 a couple of months back. I'd forgotten how bad it was til then.

johnneycool

Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 13, 2009, 01:30:44 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on August 13, 2009, 10:54:24 AM

I was there too Johnny... classic and some atmosphere.

I was only an young fella and never witnessed crowds like it in my life, from Liberty square up the road to the field and then into what was then the new stand.
Never forget the chant of 'Tipp, Tipp, Tipp' reverberating round the whole place and lifting the hair on my neck. Proper knock out Munster championship, not like what its like today and I've been down to a good few games since the backdoors of one form or another have been introduced.

INDIANA

strange one- 1991 first draw between kilkenny and wexford in the leinster final.

Honourable mention to the 1996 leinster final between wexford and offaly.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2009, 05:20:26 PM
strange one- 1991 first draw between kilkenny and wexford in the leinster final.

93?

wasn't 91 not Dublin and Kilkenny in the final? Could be wrong there but I thought it was the year of McMahon's allstar and Damien Byrne's man-of-the-match award?

Kilkenny Wexford in 91 I thought was the game where DJ took those steps for that famous goal he scored. One of the dirtiest games I've ever seen with 4 in hospital after it. Also very strangely compelling though.

I could be thinking of a whole different game, but when you mention 'draw' it brings the 93 final to mind. What a cracker the drawn game was - definitely one of the best I've ever seen. Incidently, Dublin were in the Leinster minor final that same day - bet out the gate by Kilkenny, with Ollie O'Connor enjoying his 15 minutes of fame on a poor unsuspecting Dominic O'Reilly from O'Tooles.

INDIANA

You're spot on it was 1993- the one with the famous equaliser at the end I think by Eamonn Morrissey? Larry O Gorman gave the best display I've ever seen from a wingback that day. Think our minors were bet 5-12 to about 0-12- think our club had the captain that year- thast why I remember.
Senior game was an absolute cracker though.