Stand Up - We are Mayo - Brush it off and start again,We always do & always will

Started by Son_of_Sam, August 12, 2009, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son_of_Sam

Lads after a few days down in the dumps I have decided to let the hope enter my heart again. FFS we are Mayo & if we where half as brittle as the always make out we are, our players, managers & fans would never keep coming back like we ALWAYS do. Just some positives that came to me.

Positives

1.   Aiden O'Shea is really fitting into his role at full forward. CLASS ACT
2.   We are Connacht Champions
3.   We defeated Galway twice this year in Competitive Football
4.   We seem to have more options in our forwards than this time last year
5.   We have learnt not to put O'Shea at midfield (U-21 semi V Down) & not play Parsons out position in the forwards, he is a midfielder.

MAYO 4 EVER

KEEP THE FAITH

Son_of_Sam

the Deel Rover

sorry sam but i don't think we need a new thread re mayo enough has been said on the mayo v's meath thread time to sit back till february enjoy the winter and the games of 25 top prize been a turkey that you have to kill and pluck yourself , the turf is all home the hay is saved and please god the government will sort out the farmers reps so sit back enjoy the Ai final and we will see what happens next year.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Son_of_Sam

the Deel Rover

i could have sworn i saw jinxy instead of deel rover there sos  ;) i was about to tell ya its far too early to be on the beer but are you still in oz
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 12, 2009, 09:51:52 AM
i could have sworn i saw jinxy instead of deel rover there sos  ;) i was about to tell ya its far too early to be on the beer but are you still in oz

Its your action shot, I glanced at it too quicky. Ya in Oz, even less turf in Melbourne than Castlebar. On the broadband with a pint(yes not a schoner) beside, but I hope Im not confused yet, I've only had two sips of my first one, suppose 7pm is a bit early, job searching from a bar lounge in my hostel, feckn work very hard to come byy. The point of my post was for people to discuss the positves of 2009, there is no point falling into negativity. We might not have that never say die or brutal thoughness but we have a special quality which very few others have, the ability to brush it all down and play or follow our county, because Mayo people have a love of their football & county thats hard to explain.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 12, 2009, 09:45:39 AM
sorry sam but i don't think we need a new thread re mayo enough has been said on the mayo v's meath thread time to sit back till february enjoy the winter and the games of 25 top prize been a turkey that you have to kill and pluck yourself , the turf is all home the hay is saved and please god the government will sort out the farmers reps so sit back enjoy the Ai final and we will see what happens next year.
Bang on DR; I really wish all Mayo fans could think the same way.
It's time to give the players and management team a breather and let them lick their wounds in private. There isn't a single mother's son amongst them that didn't give it his best shot and if we are feeling the need to lean on each others' shoulders, the lads must be feeling 10 times worse.
Mind you, I do appreciate that SOS is feeling the pinch over there. If I were in OZ, I'd need my comfort blanket too.  But the lads are all amateurs and need space and time to prepare for another go next year and they can and will pick up vibes from those around them.
I'm being deadly serious here:
It seems to me that Mayo teams and fans are getting too accustomed to the role of gallant losers and kind of enjoy getting the commiserations of others when we inevitably go belly up yet again. Eff the tag of romantics on a hopeless quest for something we will never find. It will always be a case of getting robbed by incompetent refs, blind umpires, nasty bullies and whatever you're having yourself.
BTW; I can't disagree with anything that SOS has listed.
We do indeed have cautious grounds for optimism and Id wish the team well and encourage them to regroup when the time comes around.
After all, stuffing the heron chokers was all the manager set his sights on this year
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

western exile

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 12, 2009, 09:40:35 AM
Lads after a few days down in the dumps I have decided to let the hope enter my heart again. FFS we are Mayo & if we where half as brittle as the always make out we are, our players, managers & fans would never keep coming back like we ALWAYS do. Just some positives that came to me.

Positives

1.   Aiden O'Shea is really fitting into his role at full forward. CLASS ACT
2.   We are Connacht Champions
3.   We defeated Galway twice this year in Competitive Football
4.   We seem to have more options in our forwards than this time last year
5.   We have learnt not to put O'Shea at midfield (U-21 semi V Down) & not play Parsons out position in the forwards, he is a midfielder.

MAYO 4 EVER

KEEP THE FAITH

Didn't Parsons play alongside O'Shea in midfield that day in Longfort?

mckieran

Quote3.   We defeated Galway twice this year in Competitive Football

Considering how Galway fared against other opposition, I dont think this is a particularly big positive for ye

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2009, 10:55:02 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 12, 2009, 09:45:39 AM
Bang on DR; I really wish all Mayo fans could think the same way.
It's time to give the players and management team a breather and let them lick their wounds in private. There isn't a single mother's son amongst them that didn't give it his best shot and if we are feeling the need to lean on each others' shoulders, the lads must be feeling 10 times worse.
Mind you, I do appreciate that SOS is feeling the pinch over there. If I were in OZ, I'd need my comfort blanket too.  But the lads are all amateurs and need space and time to prepare for another go next year and they can and will pick up vibes from those around them.
I'm being deadly serious here:
It seems to me that Mayo teams and fans are getting too accustomed to the role of gallant losers and kind of enjoy getting the commiserations of others when we inevitably go belly up yet again. Eff the tag of romantics on a hopeless quest for something we will never find. It will always be a case of getting robbed by incompetent refs, blind umpires, nasty bullies and whatever you're having yourself.
BTW; I can't disagree with anything that SOS has listed.
We do indeed have cautious grounds for optimism and Id wish the team well and encourage them to regroup when the time comes around.
After all, stuffing the heron chokers was all the manager set his sights on this year

It s all very well going away and licking wounds and forgetting about things but those wounds need stitching not licking. Licked wounds may  never heal properly and burst open again come the next dog fight. I think here and now is the time management and players should be looking at themselves. Questions need to be asked about the fade out in games and fingers might be pointed at the conditioning programme before wheelin out the ´heads not right´stuff. They need to get answers now otherwise the same thing will happen again. Thing is if nobody addresses it now lads will go away and come back full of the joys of spring and nobody will want to hear about Meath last August. Neither will anybody on here. The different merits of players will be argued about and we ll pick teams but its all a cod if our physical preparation is inadequate because it ll derail us again next year.

For the 3rd year in a row Johnno gave much the same answer after exiting the championship. Go away for a couple of weeks, let the dust settle and then management and players will meet and talk. Ok but putting distance between the event  is nt necessarily the best way.

ross4life

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 12, 2009, 09:44:04 AM
MAYO

Connacht: Senior, U-21 & Minor Champions 2009

at least your minors won a game after winning those title  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Frank Casey

A bit like that song that started "I get knocked down and I get up again". Should that be the new Mayo County song ;)
KERRY 3:7

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 13, 2009, 09:43:36 PM
A bit like that song that started "I get knocked down and I get up again". Should that be the new Mayo County song ;)
I'm afraid it already is and the trouble with starting all over again is that you need to get knocked down first. :(
Never fear, Bro, things are about to change.
The West's Awake will be heard and feared throughout the land, especially on the third Sunday of September 2010 and indeed on the same date for many years in the future.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi