Mayo v Down Minor thread

Started by Farrandeelin, August 10, 2009, 08:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Yes, it's hard to pick ourselves up after another disappointing defeat yesterday but some of us intend to do that and why not start off with the minors. We had a good win over Galway, believed the hype machine against the Rossies and beat them in a replay in two poorish games it must be said. Then the lads travelled to Tullamore to beat Tipp minors comfortably in the end. The question is, can Mayo minors go all the way this year?? Saying that, they need to overcome this hurdle that is put in their way first to be talking about that stuff.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

After Down minors all being down with the flu, you'd expect the Dubs to win the other Q/F

INDIANA

Dublin have been idle for 3 weeks. Whoever gets through will be up against versus Mayo. Mayo are very strong at this level . Down might have too much for us. We've a team of lovely footballers but I'm not sure how they'd fare against a bigger more physical outfit and Down are sure to present a major physicla challenge.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

so it's the repeat of the Minor All ireland final of 2005 ;) i already said the team that Beat roscommon will win this years All ireland, 2007 Galway & 2008 Tyrone did that so for me it's kerry or Mayo
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on August 15, 2009, 10:16:44 PM
so it's the repeat of the Minor All ireland final of 2005 ;) i already said the team that Beat roscommon will when this years All ireland, 2007 Galway & 2008 Tyrone did that so for me it's kerry or Mayo

If only! Armagh won't be quaking about that stat . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

western exile

Paddy Power don't give Down much of a chance

Mayo       7/4
Armagh    7/4
Kerry    10/3
Down    9/2

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: western exile on August 15, 2009, 11:59:31 PM

Mayo       7/4
Armagh    7/4
Kerry    10/3
Down    9/2

I'm sorry but I just don't see why Mayo are such a short price. They're a decent team but no more. Armagh surely deserve to be outright favourites.

ross4life

Armagh have not won the Minor All ireland since 1941 (only time) which in my opinion would be a bigger shock than us winning it in 2006

& for the record Mayo last won it 1985 & kerry 1994
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on August 16, 2009, 12:29:03 AM
Armagh have not won the Minor All ireland since 1941 (only time) which in my opinion would be a bigger shock than us winning it in 2006

& for the record Mayo last won it 1985 & kerry 1994
That would be a burden only if they had won very little at any level - like if Fermanagh made a minor final. But Armagh have won senior and under 21 this decade. That has much more relevance. It's hardly the end of a famine.

western exile

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 16, 2009, 12:09:41 AM
Quote from: western exile on August 15, 2009, 11:59:31 PM

Mayo       7/4
Armagh    7/4
Kerry    10/3
Down    9/2

I'm sorry but I just don't see why Mayo are such a short price. They're a decent team but no more. Armagh surely deserve to be outright favourites.
Those prices probably reflect who they play in the semi-finals. The bookies reckon that Mayo have easier chance of making the final than Armagh or Kerry,  whereas to win it, Armagh and Kerry would have to beat each other AND Mayo. Hence the odds at this stage.  That is my guess anyway...

ross4life

Minor Football can't be compared to u21 or senior only Tyrone have used all levels to become the success they are today, Kerry 1994 last Minor title proves that,
as for the odds Ulster & Connaught Teams have been strongest at this grade for the last 4/5 years!

but it's wide open this year any of these 4 teams can win it! Down will really fancy there chances now vs Mayo especially the way they Beat a Good Dublin Team today

Barney

No more than the bookies the minor football all of us have seen this year is limited.

I don't know anything about Down other than we have an awful record against them in underage football. Lost the u21 semi this year to them, and two minor finals in 99 and 2005 to them also.

This Mayo team do not appear to have any top class forward, and unless they pick it up like last years team did at this stage, they are nowhere near the quality of that team .

however, Ray Dempsey is doing a very good job at the helm and it would be nice to be involved on Final Day.

ross4life

Quote from: Barney on August 16, 2009, 09:19:31 AM
No more than the bookies the minor football all of us have seen this year is limited.

I don't know anything about Down other than we have an awful record against them in underage football. Lost the u21 semi this year to them, and two minor finals in 99 and 2005 to them also.

This Mayo team do not appear to have any top class forward, and unless they pick it up like last years team did at this stage, they are nowhere near the quality of that team .

however, Ray Dempsey is doing a very good job at the helm and it would be nice to be involved on Final Day.

with those stats alone i'm sure you would have preferred the Dubs

western exile

If the Down team that played in the Ulster final show up against Mayo, then it will be an easy win for Mayo.  That day they could only manage 1-5 in a scrappy game, and in truth Armagh were only in second gear and just did enough to keep ahead of Down.
However, if the team that beat Dublin show up, Mayo are in trouble.  They scored 2-16 against Dublin, and hit no wides.