Mayo v Down Minor thread

Started by Farrandeelin, August 10, 2009, 08:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainboii

Quote from: bennydorano on August 25, 2009, 07:30:26 PM
I'd be surprised if Mayo dont beat Down.  I'm not sure what a lot of Armagh wans are fearful of meeting Down again for, a very average team who only kept the score respectable against Armagh by playing a GAA brand of Ranger's type anti-football, they didn't try to win IMO, they tried not to get stuffed.  If we meet Down again I'd be Muy confident.

I'd agree with that, I want Down in the final too. Not only will it create a bit of a buzz around the area but from an Armagh perspective, we know what we're gonna get with them, having already put them away twice this year (once by a cricket score). They were poor enough in the Ulster final, and I can't see how they'd have improved a lot since then. Mayo are still an unknown quantity, inching their way to the final without anyone paying much notice of them.

5 Sams

Quote from: AFS on August 25, 2009, 10:54:16 PM
I'd be surprised if Mayo dont beat Down.  I'm not sure what a lot of Armagh wans are fearful of meeting Down again for, a very average team who only kept the score respectable against Armagh by playing a GAA brand of Ranger's type anti-football, they didn't try to win IMO, they tried not to get stuffed.  If we meet Down again I'd be Muy confident.

I'd agree with that, I want Down in the final too. Not only will it create a bit of a buzz around the area but from an Armagh perspective, we know what we're gonna get with them, having already put them away twice this year (once by a cricket score). They were poor enough in the Ulster final, and I can't see how they'd have improved a lot since then. Mayo are still an unknown quantity, inching their way to the final without anyone paying much notice of them.

I love it lads...
The Aristocrat Years

mountainboii

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 25, 2009, 11:03:52 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 25, 2009, 10:54:16 PM

I love it lads...

Right, I'm actually not trying to wind anyone up, but what was the Down take on the Ulster final? Did yous feel that your team underperformed that day and have a lot more in the tank? My honest appraisal, having watched all 5 Armagh minor games this year, is that Down were about the third best team we've faced, behind Tyrone and Kildare but better than Monaghan and Kerry. I honestly feel, from what I saw of Down on that day, that Armagh should be well fit for them if they meet again.

Zapatista

BBC are saying Boyle has a broken jaw.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Trevor Hill on August 25, 2009, 10:26:39 PM
2005 all over again. ;)

Well I might as well not bother showing up if that's the case then. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

The only form guide seems to be Kerry. They beat Ros aet and we needed a replay to beat Ros, and they could have walloped us the first day. then  Kerry get a bit of a doin v Armagh.

Down were close to Armagh in UF. AFS however thinks the gap between Armagh and Down much greater.

As I posted earlier Armagh beat Mayo up in a challenge pre championship. Down and Mayo could be close enough.

thewobbler

Having watched a fair dose of club minor football this year, I'd say one thing this Down team has going for it is that the forward line is very, very capable of winning a game even if the rest of the team aren't performing, and that there's a couple of very useful forwards on the bench if one or two of the starters aren't at the races.

Which means they're capable of beating anyone, even Armagh (who it seems have been anointed in some quarters as the greatest minor team in the history of the world ever).

I wasn't at the Ulster final so don't know how things panned out the way they did that day, but should Down make the AI final, I'd imagine a score of 1.09 aginst them will be a long way off a winning ticket.

ross4life

challenge pre championship you should check out the Rossies Results in 2006 then (we were getting hammered in every game)

the Tyrone minor team of last year are better than any this year imo, Mayo lost the Final Replay to them, my question is How would you compare this Mayos team with last years(not as many good forwards & light in midfield)?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ballinaman

Don't think Mayo are as strong this year as they were last year, could have/should have won both the final and replay. Will be interesting to see how they fair on Sunday as the quarter isn't really a form guide...

bobbiesoxer

thewobbler 1 09 will always beat a miserly 1 05 which is what ur great forwards scored in the final

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo minor team picked

www.mayogaa.com

Caolan Crowe and Daryl Herbert in for Michael McCormack and Brian Ruttledge
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

DownFanatic

This Down Minor team have come up against a lot of adversity this year and they have generally pulled through with flying colours bar the Ulster Final.

I fully believe that Down will beat Mayo on Sunday and that they will defeat Armagh in the Final. We have a measly defence who can surprisingly merge tackling and marking with attacking instincts.

All six starting forwards are natural scorers while as the Wobbler stated we have more natural flair players in the wings to come in when required.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 26, 2009, 09:18:43 PM
Mayo minor team picked

www.mayogaa.com

Nice to see Daryl Herbert in the team anyway. He's good at running at opponent's goals anyway and is handy at picking up scores. Pity about Ruttledge as he is having a very good club season for us at minor level. Hopefully downgirl won't be too upset about a Mayo victory if it comes to pass. :P

downgirl

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2009, 09:46:28 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 26, 2009, 09:18:43 PM
Mayo minor team picked

www.mayogaa.com

Nice to see Daryl Herbert in the team anyway. He's good at running at opponent's goals anyway and is handy at picking up scores. Pity about Ruttledge as he is having a very good club season for us at minor level. Hopefully downgirl won't be too upset about a Mayo victory if it comes to pass. :P

The key word there being 'if' Farrandeelin!!!  I think this Down team can do what Down teams usually do against Mayo...beat them!!

Farrandeelin

Well we don't like getting too ahead of ourselves anyway, unlike some. ;)