Boycott the GAA Board.

Started by Bud Wiser, August 10, 2009, 04:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 11, 2009, 03:32:41 PM
QuoteI dont understand where the skill is.

I never expected you would to be honest, it's fairly difficult to understand the difference between catching a ball little bigger than a snooker travelling at over 200mph than catching a big football that is passed to you in basketball fashion from about five yards.   

And another thing, I never said anyone had to love hurling, nor would I depend on the type of GAA supporter that thinks they have to love it as part of their civic duty.  What I am saying is that hurling should be given equal exposure and it is high time the GAA copped on to themselves in this regard.  Why was hurling not given equal exposure at the launch of the 125 years celebrations, but oh no, it had to be a game of basketball between Dublin and Tyrone. 
What sport does that happen in? A ball does not travel 200mph in hurling! but yes, it does travel at a great speed and there is a skill in winning it.  It's funny you turn your nose up at a footballer receiving a ball from five yards in "basketball fashion" but you seem to forget that a footballer, unlike a hurler, can't pick a ball up in the full back line and kick it as hard as he can up to the full forward line. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 10, 2009, 04:33:27 PM
I am calling on all hurling fans who subscribe to the hurling page to boycot this section of the forums and post any GAA related topic that is not solely a football issue on the Hurling Threads.  Topics like "Season Tickets" RTE, Pundits etc.  I think it is a shame that some posters hold hurling in such contempt that they have to criticise it so much to an extent that they "had to watch it as a double header" but have no interest in it.

Boycott the GAA section and post on the hurling thread only, even the Cork strikers and the GPA have more solidarity with the real GAA than some but not all on the GAA section.

Bud, the problem for me is that if posters were to boycott the football section of the board and switch en masse to the hurling end instead it would be a case of replacing one form of discrimination with another.
I'd like to see threads of mutual interest posted in both but I have no desire to impose any sort of control over posters' freedom of choice. If the majority of board members opt to join in on football threads and stay aloof from the hurling section I think the reason is clear; the majority have more interest in football than in hurling.
I love hurling but I don't want to force my views on anyone else. I will always keep track of the Mayo hurlers and go to watch them most times- if they are playing anywhere inside 40-50 miles from Dublin.
Now, many Mayo heads got up after the football game last Sunday and tried to get far away from the place as quickly as possible. I'd imagine watching another game of any sort was the last thing on their minds. For many, apart from the sickening, there was the matter of beating afternoon traffic jams and some needed to get back to milk the cows or the likes. I'd imagine that many Meath fans were thinking along the same lines.
If the popularity of hurling is ever to increase, there is only one way to bring this about and that is to promote the game in the so-called football-only counties. I'd go further and say there are two major reasons why this isn't proving successful. Many county boards don't give a damn about hurling and see it as major pain in the butt. The Mayo county board is just one of the many to treat the hurlers as second-class citizens. Hurling means extra expense and could prove a distraction for dual players.
But there is another reason and that is an ingrained snobbishness amongst hurling people in the traditional hurling counties. Some are worse than others. To those aristocrats, football is a bog man's game and they don't want to see it gaining any sort of profile in their home patch.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bud Wiser

I was away for a few days and did not get a chance to reply to your post Lar Naparks.
I agree with everything you have said but I am not trying to force hurling on anybody.  I am making the point that hurling is ignored to an extent that it is no longer seen as part of the GAA as far as some are concerned.  Here as an example is an email from Cul Green I received today:

It is over two months since you last made a carbon saving pledge helping us to make Croke Park carbon neutral.

In the last twelve months there have been 43,600 pledges totaling 4,540 tonnes of carbon saved but we need your help to reach our 2009 Championship target.

Please visit the website and if you complete a carbon saving pledge this month we will enter you in the draw for one of five Family Trips to the All Ireland Final in September.

Many thanks for your continued support on this,

Best wishes,

Cúl Green Team

I wonder if they are talking about football or hurling or is there only one All-Ireland this year? 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Main Street

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 14, 2009, 02:05:48 PM
.  Here as an example is an email from Cul Green I received today:

It is over two months since you last made a carbon saving pledge helping us to make Croke Park carbon neutral.

In the last twelve months there have been 43,600 pledges totaling 4,540 tonnes of carbon saved but we need your help to reach our 2009 Championship target.

Please visit the website and if you complete a carbon saving pledge this month we will enter you in the draw for one of five Family Trips to the All Ireland Final in September.

Many thanks for your continued support on this,

Best wishes,

Cúl Green Team

I wonder if they are talking about football or hurling or is there only one All-Ireland this year? 

Surely you didn't make a little edit just to exagerate the sense of persecution?  ;D

here is  This Months prize from Cúl Green website
http://www.culgreen.ie/en/Competitions_en.aspx

This Month's Prizes
"Five fantastic family trips to the GAA All-Ireland Football or Hurling Final. Each prize includes tickets to match of your choice, two nights luxury accommodation adjacent to the stadium and rail travel to Dublin for two adults and two children!"

hers is another press release

Win Five Fantastic Family Trips
05 Aug 2009
http://www.culgreen.ie/en/NewsArticle_en.aspx?NewsID=165

Cúl Green's aim is to make Croke Park fully net-carbon neutral by 2015. We are looking for your help to reach our target. All you have to do is make an energy saving pledge today and you could win a fantastic family trip to the GAA All-Ireland Final.

Five winners will each receive a family trip to the Final of their choice including; match tickets plus two nights luxury accommodation adjacent to the stadium and rail travel to Dublin for two adults and two children!