Boycott the GAA Board.

Started by Bud Wiser, August 10, 2009, 04:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I am calling on all hurling fans who subscribe to the hurling page to boycot this section of the forums and post any GAA related topic that is not solely a football issue on the Hurling Threads.  Topics like "Season Tickets" RTE, Pundits etc.  I think it is a shame that some posters hold hurling in such contempt that they have to criticise it so much to an extent that they "had to watch it as a double header" but have no interest in it.

Boycott the GAA section and post on the hurling thread only, even the Cork strikers and the GPA have more solidarity with the real GAA than some but not all on the GAA section.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

wherefromreferee?

If this was facebook I'd click the 'like' button  8)
In your Endo!

Denn Forever

I take your point but the person who opined the position of having to watch the hurling was berated for having such a position.

Coming from a county that I only remember begining to try Hurling when the Wavin Hurls came to the National school, I unfortunately wouldn't be able to comment on hurling other than its a brilliant game, Kilkenny are a good county and I'd love to be able to play it.

So please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and keep with the board.  And keep us honest.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Well put Denn Forever. My only experience of hurling was when a fellow from Galway took us out in 2nd/3rd class to play some ground hurling. Needless to say it never got off the ground!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

QuoteI think it is a shame that some posters hold hurling in such contempt that they have to criticise it so much to an extent that they "had to watch it as a double header" but have no interest in it.

In my experience more hurling folk have a problem with football than the other way around and while I can't understand any GAA man not having at least some interest in both codes I wouldn't be throwing a hissy fit about it. AFR is a more hurling focused board and a fairly sizeable minority get digs in about football for little apparent reason. This board is made up of primarily football folk but rarely do they knock hurling. So IMO there is no reason for any kind of protest.

Louth Exile

Same as the lads above, the only bit of hurling our club ever saw was when one man in the club (who happened to be one of the best football managers the club ever had, at all grades) took it on himself to set up an U14 team, we all give it a lash, but it was never going to stick. My first ever hurling game was a Leinster Hurling Final, when he threw us all in the back of the van and threw us over the turnstiles! In recent years the only time I have been to hurling matches were doubleheaders, such as yesterday and Waterford v Limerick in 07 after the Kerry v Monaghan game. So I will rarely comment on hurling on the board, doesn't mean I don't appreciate and enjoy it. Yesterday I was able to tell my ten year old that he was looking at probably the greatest team of all time (like my father told me at 10 about the kingdom) and that in Henry Sheflin he was watching one of the finest displays from this teams greatest player.

At training on Saturday morning a mate made an interesting admission to me. This guy is a big football man, Royal and Loyal, he said that he had never watched a whole hurling match in his entire life!! For a GAA man in late 30's I thought that it was an amazing admission!!

Anyway, after my ramble, I agree with the lads above, leave it Bud
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ziggysego

I don't have much first hand experience with hurling. Being from Tyrone it's almost non-existence. However when at college I used to live with a fella from Waterford who lived and breath the sport. I enjoy watching the game and think when it's played at it's highest level, it's a much superior game to football.

I'm happy to say that my own club are currently setting up hurling and re-introducing camogie to Greencastle. The Father Sheilds Camogie & Hurling Club.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on August 11, 2009, 01:34:53 AM
Being from Tyrone it's almost non-existence.

I hope you mean your experience of it and not hurling itself.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Silky

QuoteBeing from Tyrone it's almost non-existence.

Did they not win an All Ireland last month?  :-\

Give with it Bud and feck the begrudgers.

agorm

Hi Bud,
This is a problem at all levels of the many counties and permeates to some (and I mean some) of the suppporters /posters etc.

I was disappointed but not at all surprised to see some people commenting that they didnt want to see the hurling - this reflects however the attitudes across the country. There were probably a lot of Kilkenny / Waterford people that didnt want to watch the football last weekend and Football is much maligned iin our premier Hurling county.

In my opinion there is a problem at the top in many counties. For example, there were senior hurling championship matches set for 6:30pm in Meath LAST SUNDAY EVENING. Thus people from certain hurling areas of the county were prevented from watching the hurling sems!! The opportunity to stay after the Meath game and watch the best hurling team of our generation is taken away by either downright incompetance or a deliberate effort to irritate the hurling people. No games were set for Friday or Saturday evenings - like how do these guys thinkn this stuff up? Our club wasnt set to play so I dont know the outcome of it but the teams should have refused to play imho.

In my opinion our chairman should be hauled before Pauric Duffy and be given a good dressing down for such blatant disregard for hurling in the county. However many Meath people are just football oriented and would care less about an issue such as this.

agorm

Regarding the topic, I myself have sometimes wondered why you have one section called "GAA discussion" and another "Hurling Discussion" - it implies that Hurling is a lesser sport.

Have you tried to email the moderators and request a General GAA Discussion and subsections for Football & Hurling.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2009, 09:30:58 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 11, 2009, 01:34:53 AM
Being from Tyrone it's almost non-existence.

I hope you mean your experience of it and not hurling itself.

Yeah, my experience
Testing Accessibility

Drumanee 1

when i seen the thread title i thought,a jesus has dessie joined the board

Bud Wiser

QuoteHave you tried to email the moderators and request a General GAA Discussion and subsections for Football & Hurling.

First of all agorm your reply covers everything, and yes, it has irritated me every time I log on to see football set out as "Gaa Discussion" with hurling a mere sideshow along with general discussion.

When I made that post yesterday I went off to celebrate the birthday of a man called Arthur and expected to find a good row going this morning.  Not to be, all replies are too easy going so to freshen the bait a bit I would say that the respect that hurling deserves is not there because:

Posters on this board are predominantly Nordies and apart from Cushendall and Dunloy they would not know one end of a hurl from the other.
It is an insult to hurling to have sections of the board named, GAA Discussion and Hurling Discussion instead of Hurling Discussion and Football, or if you like, Hurling Discussion and Basketball Discussion.
The points made by you agorm regarding fixtures of matches are a disgrace, I mean the fixtures, not your comments.
And of course the biggest disgrace to hurling in the last 125 years was the Cork Senior Hurling team of strikers.
When GAA is mentioned in general on national radio or TV now it is assumed on most every occasion that "the gaa" is about football.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

johnneycool

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 10, 2009, 04:33:27 PM
I am calling on all hurling fans who subscribe to the hurling page to boycot this section of the forums and post any GAA related topic that is not solely a football issue on the Hurling Threads.  Topics like "Season Tickets" RTE, Pundits etc.  I think it is a shame that some posters hold hurling in such contempt that they have to criticise it so much to an extent that they "had to watch it as a double header" but have no interest in it.

Boycott the GAA section and post on the hurling thread only, even the Cork strikers and the GPA have more solidarity with the real GAA than some but not all on the GAA section.

As someone from a mostly footballing county (possibly past tense  ;) ) with a first love of hurling it can grate a bit that you see a topic such as 'The new Down manager' as if we can only 'assume' that's its a football manager that's the topic of debate but I don't see anything wrong with someone saying that they weren't too bothered to stay and watch Kilkenny and Waterford after the football game as that's a personal preference which we all have and are entitled to.

Some people have no interest in hurling, others have no interest in football and neither are the lesser gaels for it but i do think that some county boards do need taken to task for not treating both sports on a equal footing in terms of resources and scheduling of games as when you are in those positions of power you are responsible for all gaelic codes, not just the stronger code in that particular county.

Posters on this board are predominantly Nordies and apart from Cushendall and Dunloy they would not know one end of a hurl from the other.

I also take exception to the fact that a lot of southerners (and Ulster council) think that hurling in the North is soley exclusive to Antrim.