South Belfast North of Ireland Supporters Club

Started by T Fearon, August 10, 2009, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2009, 02:58:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2009, 02:57:29 PM
I suspect it's more sinister than that. I think we're looking at a full scale mobilisation of the Wolfe Tones faction.

Ah, but which faction?

Good point - maybe we're seeing the first example of a movement already pre-split in anticipation of the inevitable.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 02:58:27 PM
To that, add the constant bleating about how we've defeated sectarianism, we are the best fans in the Solar System, our members get OBEs for their work in the area of reconciliation then drive past what is arguably the North of Ireland's most prominent and high profile Supporters Clib in Belfast City Centre and see it festooned like an Orange Hall, and not feel angry. Go on I challenge you
That's not much of a challenge. If something like that gets your blood boiling, then you're clearly very lucky that you have so few worries in life.

T Fearon

Well it didn't exactly cause my blood to boil, or even warm to the point of being tepid, but it is offensive all the same and worth pointing out the hypocrisy/ arrogance

nifan

Its ridiculous that the crux of your argument is that the IFAs use of symbols is bad because its a worldwide sport, but the use of the GAAs counter symbols isnt because its not as big worldwide.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 03:08:10 PM
Well it didn't exactly cause my blood to boil, or even warm to the point of being tepid, but it is offensive all the same and worth pointing out the hypocrisy/ arrogance
Well it caused you to feel "angry". And it didn't even get a 'thumbs down' - it got the full angry man smiley treatment!
As for being offensive...

deiseach

Quote from: nifan on August 12, 2009, 03:09:52 PM
Its ridiculous that the crux of your argument is that the IFAs use of symbols is bad because its a worldwide sport, but the use of the GAAs counter symbols isnt because its not as big worldwide.

Not half as ridiculous as trying to engage with Fearon ;)

dublinfella

Quote from: nifan on August 12, 2009, 03:09:52 PM

I'm trying to figure out is it the partisan and tribal nature of sport he objects to, or just the tribe that the IFA XI traditionally attract.

T Fearon

NIFan

Things you won't see at GAA Games

Additions being made to the National Anthem (eg Tiocfaidh Ar La)

Any display of Politicial Triumphalism or indeed political assertiveness at all.

Now can you honestly deny this is a feature of games at Windsor Park.

The reason I don't follow the North of Ireland team (I have been to many of their games and possibly will be to some more) is that I do not want to be reminded, in my face, at a sporting occasion that I am living under British Rule, or see my neighbour triumphalanty asserting this point.

This does not happen at any GAA activity.

T Fearon

Dublinfella, I object to the fact that the IFA have hijacked soccer ( a sport I have loved and have watched in many different countries) and allowed it (as best) or encouraged it (at worst) to be used as a means of political expression or allowing one side of the community to assert its triumphalism over the other.

PS I am not alone in this. The IFA attracts negligible support from catholics and as I've said here my views on it are quite liberal. I could present many soccer fans here from my community who have never set foot in Windsor Park and wouldn't to save their lives.

carribbear

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 03:19:35 PM
I could present many soccer fans here from my community who have never set foot in Windsor Park and wouldn't to save their lives.

Their lives would probably be in danger if they did set foot in that sectarian cesspit.

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 03:15:40 PM
The reason I don't follow the North of Ireland team (I have been to many of their games and possibly will be to some more) is that I do not want to be reminded, in my face, at a sporting occasion that I am living under British Rule, or see my neighbour triumphalanty asserting this point.

Eh, but surely if a Northern Protestant / a Unionist went to a GAA match in the north where the tricolour was on display and the anthem played... well that's basically saying 'in their face' and 'at a sporting occasion' that we should be living under Irish rule, and then we, as GAA fans and their neighbours, could be accused of 'triumphantly asserting this point'.

I'm merely playing devil's advocate here, but you have to look at these things from both sides surely(?)

Hardy

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2009, 03:28:58 PMyou have to look at these things from both sides surely(?)

Where did you ever get such a ridiculous idea?

dublinfella

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 03:15:40 PM
NIFan

Things you won't see at GAA Games

Additions being made to the National Anthem (eg Tiocfaidh Ar La)

Any display of Politicial Triumphalism or indeed political assertiveness at all.
Now can you honestly deny this is a feature of games at Windsor Park.

No, but it happens at international football all over the world.

You don't like the 6 county state and are bashing the IFA for being its football representitive. Why not go to the source?

dublinfella

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 03:19:35 PM
Dublinfella, I object to the fact that the IFA have hijacked soccer ( a sport I have loved and have watched in many different countries) and allowed it (as best) or encouraged it (at worst) to be used as a means of political expression or allowing one side of the community to assert its triumphalism over the other.

PS I am not alone in this. The IFA attracts negligible support from catholics and as I've said here my views on it are quite liberal. I could present many soccer fans here from my community who have never set foot in Windsor Park and wouldn't to save their lives.

International football is political and triumphalist. Thats life.

Nationalists are alienated from the whole idea of the team. The IFA are irrelevent in a bigger issue.

The point here is you getting all hot and bothered because people fly flags at (or around) sport you don't like.