South Belfast North of Ireland Supporters Club

Started by T Fearon, August 10, 2009, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Quotewould the removal of these clauses inspire you to take up football or hurling

course not, nor would removing GSTQ etc would cause all those who complain about them with NI to suddenly start supporting NI.

carribbear

to gnevin and maguire - if you don't like the GAA why do you bother being members of the organisation(or interested)? You wouldnt be missed

Back to point, the ifa dont seem to do a whole lot to stop sectarian behaviour within their ranks. you've seen the efforts being made in glasgow to stop certain behaviors, surely its about time the ifa brought their supporters clubs into line unless they actually dont mind what goes on.

Hardy

Quote from: carribbear on August 12, 2009, 02:42:12 PM
to gnevin and maguire - if you don't like the GAA why do you bother being members of the organisation(or interested)? You wouldnt be missed

Ah yes - the welcoming inclusiveness is heartwarming. Conform to my vision of the GAA or get out. Argue against the requirement for the Irish flag to be flown and you're arguing for the flying of the Union Jack. Present proposals for a change of rule and you "don't like the GAA" and should leave.

dublinfella

Back to point, the ifa dont seem to do a whole lot to stop sectarian behaviour within their ranks. you've seen the efforts being made in glasgow to stop certain behaviors, surely its about time the ifa brought their supporters clubs into line unless they actually dont mind what goes on.

That is a truely pathetic, boderline fascistic, attitude to have.

carribbear

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2009, 02:45:55 PM

Ah yes - the welcoming inclusiveness is heartwarming. Conform to my vision of the GAA or get out. Argue against the requirement for the Irish flag to be flown and you're arguing for the flying of the Union Jack. Present proposals for a change of rule and you "don't like the GAA" and should leave.

I was enquiring what their real beef is with the GAA and why it offends them so much.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: nifan on August 12, 2009, 02:41:10 PM
Quotewould the removal of these clauses inspire you to take up football or hurling

course not, nor would removing GSTQ etc would cause all those who complain about them with NI to suddenly start supporting NI.

And therein lies the nub of the matter in two posts.   Those that don't want to support the Northern Ireland soccer team won't and those who don't want to support their local GAA team won't.  

They can gleefully comment on flags outside a supporters club, or parse the phrasing of the GAA rule book, comment on anthems at soccer matches or hold up the activities of particular GAA clubs as emblematic of the thousands of other clubs etc..etc. etc.

At the end of the day I see little to suggest from any of the protaganists to believe that any of the "issues" raised here are anything other than retrospective-type justification of beliefs/dislikes they have long held for much differing reasons.

In this case "equalisation" across the board!

/Jim.  

Maguire01

When did I say I didn't like the GAA? Or imply this?
And i'm sure the Association would be honoured to have you as its spokesperson.

carribbear

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2009, 02:52:33 PM
When did I say I didn't like the GAA? Or imply this?
And i'm sure the Association would be honoured to have you as its spokesperson.

I'll hopefully make president someday. That'll get a few of you jumping.

Maguire01

Quote from: carribbear on August 12, 2009, 02:50:18 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2009, 02:45:55 PM

I was enquiring what their real beef is with the GAA and why it offends them so much.
What "real beef" with the GAA are you talking about? And what makes you think i'm offended?
Is it off-limits to critically disuss such aspects of the Association on a GAA discussion board?

deiseach

Quote from: carribbear on August 12, 2009, 02:54:25 PM

What are you going to do? Stage a coup?

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on August 12, 2009, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: carribbear on August 12, 2009, 02:54:25 PM

What are you going to do? Stage a coup?

I suspect it's more sinister than that. I think we're looking at a full scale mobilisation of the Wolfe Tones faction.

dublinfella

Quote from: carribbear on August 12, 2009, 02:50:18 PM

Who is offended?

deiseach

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2009, 02:55:35 PM
Is it off-limits to critically disuss such aspects of the Association on a GAA discussion board?

Part of the problem is that once trolls get involved, the wagons are circled. It'd be nice if members of the GAA could have a robust conversation amongst themselves about it. I suppose that's one of the functions of clubs.

T Fearon

Ignoe the inane rantings of Hardy but give him credit for admitting he knows nothing about which he is pontificating. This is indeed a first, but if only he could be made to realise that this could be legitimately applied to all his postings regardless of the subject.

Now back to the core point, and I fully appreciate how those in Dublin or elsewhere in the 26 counties may not fully appreciate the nuances of what may appear to be a quite innocuous gripe.

The IFA is charged (due to its unwillingness to merge with the other Football Association on this island) with the sole aim of promoting and developing soccer in the 6 counties. Soccer is a global sport (unlike the relatively small indigenous  GAA which is charged with promoting all aspects of gaelic culture including games). The six counties contains a deeply polarised community. Many catholic players have had their careers prematurely ended due to sectarian abuse, death threats from their own so called fans. Derry City, the most talented team currently in the six counties were forced out of the domestic league,as were Belfast Celtic before them and now choose to play in the Eircom League.The IFA, as if it didn't have enough in its sordid past,to be ashamed about, continues to use the symbols anthems etc of one part of that polarised community only, thus allowing this part of the community to use games to give expression to their political triumphalism (extending to adding the words "No Surrender" to their National Anthem etc) inevitably alienates the other section of the community and defeats the (supposed) raison d'etre of the IFA in that far from promoting soccer in this locality it is actually hindering it.

To that, add the constant bleating about how we've defeated sectarianism, we are the best fans in the Solar System, our members get OBEs for their work in the area of reconciliation then drive past what is arguably the North of Ireland's most prominent and high profile Supporters Clib in Belfast City Centre and see it festooned like an Orange Hall, and not feel angry. Go on I challenge you

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on August 12, 2009, 02:57:29 PM
I suspect it's more sinister than that. I think we're looking at a full scale mobilisation of the Wolfe Tones faction.

Ah, but which faction?