ALL STARS 2009?

Started by never kickt a ball, August 05, 2009, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: thejuice on September 25, 2009, 12:42:13 AM
How'd I guess Cluxton would be on there. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if he was given the All-Star, but I might be disgusted.

Cluxton's display against Kerry was as good as anything you'd see in the Premiership. So watch a match an odd time and come back to us.

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2009, 12:54:54 AM
How'd I guess Cluxton would be on there. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if he was given the All-Star, but I might be disgusted.

Cluxton's display against Kerry was as good as anything you'd see in the Premiership. So watch a match an odd time and come back to us.

Why are you comparing a GAA goalkeepers display to those shown in a different sport? Watch a GAA match an odd time and come back to us ::)

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to Johnny Davey on his nomination, but no David Kelly makes a mockery of the selection IMO.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

peterquaife

Quote from: stephenite on September 25, 2009, 04:23:47 AM

Why are you comparing a GAA goalkeepers display to those shown in a different sport? Watch a GAA match an odd time and come back to us ::)

why not? they both stop a round ball from passing them into a net? Cluxton is and has been the best keep in county football for a good while

Midfield will be tight, Hub had a quare season, but the man that surprised me most was Scanlon, had my doubts 'til this season, fine player

Lacey deserves an award in my opinion, best man marker in the land.

Agree Eoin Bradley and Gerd A'Kane were unlucky to not get a nomination.

bcarrier

Cluxton is agreat shot stopper but the kickouts are 50% of goalkeepers job these days...kerry destroyed the dublin kickout.

bcarrier

my picks ...

Goalkeepers

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry), Alan Quirke (Cork)

Full Backs

Tommy Griffin (Kerry), Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry), Marc Ó Sé (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Michael Shields (Cork), Ciarán Hyland (Wicklow), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Johnny McCarthy (Limerick), Justin McMahon (Tyrone)

Half Backs

Graham Canty (Cork), John Miskella (Cork), Michael McCarthy (Kerry), Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry), Davy Harte (Tyrone), Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone), Barry Cahill (Dublin), Johnny Davey (Sligo), Andy Moran (Mayo)

Midfield

Dermot Earley (Kildare), Nicholas Murphy (Cork), Alan O'Connor (Cork), Kevin Hughes (Tyrone), John Galvin (Limerick), Séamus Scanlon (Kerry)

Half Forwards

Paul Galvin (Kerry), Tadhg Kennelly (Kerry), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Leighton Glynn (Wicklow), James Kavanagh (Kildare), Trevor Mortimer (Mayo), Paddy Kelly (Cork), Pearse O'Neill (Cork), Joe Sheridan (Meath)

Full Forwards

Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), Tommy Walsh (Kerry), Daniel Goulding (Cork), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Michael McCann (Antrim), Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone), Alan Smith (Kildare)

Footballer of the Year

Graham Canty (Cork), Paul Galvin (Kerry), Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry)

Young Footballer of the Year

Michael Murphy (Donegal), Colm O'Neill (Cork), Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

INDIANA

Simply because some people are very slow on the uptake as to what constitutes a good keeper and there isn't a better one in Ireland than Cluxton- fully deserves to be on that list even if he won't get one. As i said before the best goalkeeping display all seaosn was Cluxton versus Kerry. We'd have lost by 40 points that day-only for him. I'm sorry if its confusing.

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2009, 09:20:24 AM

Simply because some people are very slow on the uptake as to what constitutes a good keeper and there isn't a better one in Ireland than Cluxton- fully deserves to be on that list even if he won't get one. As i said before the best goalkeeping display all seaosn was Cluxton versus Kerry. We'd have lost by 40 points that day-only for him. I'm sorry if its confusing.

Still don't understand why you're bringing Premiership players into it - do you compare all the Dublin players to soccer stars?

INDIANA

Nope but its easier to compare goalkeepers.

thejuice

Fair enough, I must have a look at the highlights again, I dont particulatly remember him doing anything of note appart from letting a goal in the 1st minute.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tonesfirstandlast

Canalman

A big fan of Cluxton myself. How (I presume) he wishes that Dublin had a good pair of midfielders over the years that would allow him to hoof the kickouts straight up the middle (a la Diarmuid Murphy). However, imo he is told to "place" his kickouts to the sidelines to onrushing colleagues........ and inevitably some go over the sideline leading to him imo getting slated. This year's fiasco in the AIQF was NOT his fault.

Anyway imo he will not get it this year as Diarmuid had a better year and is a worthy winner.

Don't think we deserve any allstars. Barry Cahill was our best player all year but rightly won't get the nod ahead of the Cork/Kerry lads.

Master Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Croí na hÉireann

Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry)

Karl Lacey (Donegal), Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork)

John Miskella (Cork), Graham Canty (Cork), Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry)

Dermot Earley (Kildare), Séamus Scanlon (Kerry)

Paul Galvin (Kerry), Tadhg Kennelly (Kerry), Paddy Kelly (Cork)

Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone)

Footballer of the Year
Paul Galvin (Kerry)

Young Footballer of the Year
Michael Murphy (Donegal)

Very tough on Mike McCarthy to be left out, I'd have moved him to the full back line instead of Lynch if possible. John Galvin in midfield very unlucky as well...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 25, 2009, 08:49:36 AM
Congrats to Johnny Davey on his nomination, but no David Kelly makes a mockery of the selection IMO.

I agree 100%. Jonny Davey has played that well for a few seasons now so delighted he eventually gets his nomination. How Kelly wasn't nominated defies belief, even by the dubious standards of the Allstars selectors.