Kerrys 9 subs on monday ........

Started by revsperminute, August 05, 2009, 10:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamus

There is nothing to object to, I'll explain.

Kerry made 5 substitutions in regular time. Extra time is considered a new game. Both teams can choose any 15 from the panel to start. P Joy started extra time instead of Jack Sherwood. P Joy is not considered a sub (as it's a new game). Kerry made 3 substitutions in extra time for a total of 8 overall.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

ross4life

Quote from: Seamus on August 05, 2009, 10:16:38 PM

Kerry made 5 substitutions in regular time. Extra time is considered a new game. Both teams can choose any 15 from the panel to start. P Joy started extra time instead of Jack Sherwood. P Joy is not considered a sub (as it's a new game). Kerry made 3 substitutions in extra time for a total of 8 overall.

4! are you Kerry fan ??? Roscommon rarely complain so i don't think you have anything to worry about  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paddypastit

Ross4Life - read what Seamas wrote. You're clutching at straws.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Tatler Jack

Quote from: paddypastit on August 05, 2009, 10:34:50 PM

If thats the position then there is no case and the GAA should just clarify this. Strange that team managers have not taken advantage of this interpretation before and make wholesale changes before extra time starts.

ross4life

Quote from: paddypastit on August 05, 2009, 10:34:50 PM

sorry i just read the GAA rules (silly me ::) )
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

I've had  a look back at the newspaper reports- the sub in question didn't score 1-1. so they haven't a leg to stand on regardless.

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2009, 10:41:35 PM
I've had  a look back at the newspaper reports- the sub in question didn't score 1-1. so they haven't a leg to stand on regardless.

one of the Subs did score 1-1 but not the last one, this thread is about Kerry breaking the rules using 9 subs,  anyways 12pm tomorrow there will be no more to talk about because the rossies will let it be  ;)

Tatler Jack

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2009, 10:41:35 PM

Whether the sub scored or even touched the ball is irrelevant to any decision on the issue. If the rule is as Seamus says then there is no problem for Kerry. If it is not then there is a problem. 

blast05

In all my time watching, playing and managing in gaelic football i have never heard this. Not doubting you but if it is the case then i would reckon it is not very well known at all cos surely we would have seen some controversy in the past whereby some manager or other "takes advantage" of this rule with ensuing controversy due to ignorance of the rule only for it to be clarified at a later stage that no rule was broken.

If this rule is the reality then surely the tactically appropriate thing to do on the law of averages is to make 1 or 2 subs at the start of ET so that you can make 3 more during ET.

Azzurri

My view is that we should just forget about it.
I dont think its about stanfing up for weaker counties. The fact is that we produced a good strong minor team yet again. We should be looking at keeping these players involved and preparing them for U21 down the road.

As for Kerry, Croke Park should notice the error themselves without Roscommon objecting and they should decide what action to take if any.
Our county juniors play an All Ireland semi fianl on Saturday. Lets concentrate on that.

highking

Quote from: blast05 on August 05, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

In all my time watching, playing and managing in gaelic football i have never heard this. Not doubting you but if it is the case then i would reckon it is not very well known at all cos surely we would have seen some controversy in the past whereby some manager or other "takes advantage" of this rule with ensuing controversy due to ignorance of the rule only for it to be clarified at a later stage that no rule was broken.

If this rule is the reality then surely the tactically appropriate thing to do on the law of averages is to make 1 or 2 subs at the start of ET so that you can make 3 more during ET.

Not only can you make an unlimited amount of substitutions before extra time, but if your team have been reduced to 14 players during the game due to a red card, you may start with 15 for extra time (but the player sent off cant come on). I cant believe that theres four pages of posts on this.

If you are a coach you should know all these simple rules. Its not something you'd plan for as it rarely happens.

brianboru00

QuoteIf you are a coach you should know all these simple rules. Its not something you'd plan for as it rarely happens.

The rules are as follows:

2.4 (i) A maximum of five substitutions shall be
allowed. A substitution is not allowed in the
case of a player ordered off.

(ii) For extra time, a further three substitutions
shall be allowed. A player ordered off, in any
circumstance, during the drawn game, may
not play in extra time but may be replaced.

A further 3 substitutions. You cannot start any 15 players

The fact is that Roscommon had Scott Oates warming up for 6-7 mins of the extra period but chose not to use him as they were worried about having to take off others due to the large number of them suffering from cramp.  Now re introducing Oates who had played less than 3/4 of the match and had had a 30 minute ref may have swung it in Roscommons way. As far as I recall there were no blood subs required

David McKeown

What I would like to see is Roscommon lodge an appeal and force head quarters to act.  Then if they feel the break didnt effect the game and they were willing to accept the initial, concede the replay (if it was ordered) to Kerry otherwise we are going to get into a situation where rules are going to be broken and teams are going to have to look like spoilt children to have them enforced.  That would make a mockery of the rules in the first place
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hound

Quote from: highking on August 06, 2009, 12:31:08 AM
Quote from: blast05 on August 05, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

Not only can you make an unlimited amount of substitutions before extra time, but if your team have been reduced to 14 players during the game due to a red card, you may start with 15 for extra time (but the player sent off cant come on). I cant believe that theres four pages of posts on this.

If you are a coach you should know all these simple rules. Its not something you'd plan for as it rarely happens.
I've always thought the rules were as per Seamus and highking said above, and that therefore Kerry did nothing wrong.

The extracts from the rulebook as per brianboru seem to contradict this, but perhaps elsewhere in the rulesbook where they discuss extra time there's something about not having to start with the same 15 as finished normal time?

Michael Schmeichal

Na Fianna got thrown out of the Dublin championship a few years ago for doing the same thing. If the same rules are applied and its proven that Kerry played too many subs they will be thrown out, The only thing that could save them is if Roscommon offer them a replay in the interests of spotsmanship.