Dublin - Where to from here?

Started by JMohan, August 05, 2009, 08:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Cullen is a good footballer
Not sure he's at the standard for the likes of Kerry
He did well for most of the time he was on against Kildare, but despite that I'm not sure he's the answer and he's been tried on the 40 before unsuccessfully.

Zulu

Dublin GAA needs to keep its head here, despite the result (and performance) they aren't a bad squad of players and they can compete with the best. Gilroy/Whelan have to look at everything but at the end of the day radical actions aren't needed and panic decisions won't benefit Dublin longterm.

Jinxy

Quote from: JMohan on August 05, 2009, 12:55:50 PM
He did well for most of the time he was on against Kildare, but despite that I'm not sure he's the answer and he's been tried on the 40 before unsuccessfully.

Was that in 2006?
He was wing-forward in 2005 (excellent season), centre back in 2007, was he centre back or centre forward last year?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2009, 01:20:12 PM

Was that in 2006?
He was wing-forward in 2005 (excellent season), centre back in 2007, was he centre back or centre forward last year?

He was but why put him at wing back? He was and has never , never , never and I repeat never been a wing back. If you're not going to play him at 6 in the backs- don't f****** play him. I actually had a lot of sympathy for him on Sunday- the management got that decision completely wrong.
Brian Clough had a saying- "Never give a player a job he can't do".

Rav67

JMohan are you not a Derry man?  Why did we not get a similar thread like this?  Non-Dubs are always the ones talking the Dubs up and down and then complaining about the Dub "hype"! 

JMohan

Quote from: Rav67 on August 05, 2009, 02:11:51 PM
JMohan are you not a Derry man?  Why did we not get a similar thread like this?  Non-Dubs are always the ones talking the Dubs up and down and then complaining about the Dub "hype"! 
FFS - I'm just asking what people think Dublin can do or should do?
Who's hyping or complaining? You don't have to contribute.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2009, 01:45:23 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2009, 01:20:12 PM

Was that in 2006?

He was but why put him at wing back? He was and has never , never , never and I repeat never been a wing back. If you're not going to play him at 6 in the backs- don't f****** play him. I actually had a lot of sympathy for him on Sunday- the management got that decision completely wrong.
Brian Clough had a saying- "Never give a player a job he can't do".
I agree he's a central player only - I don't think he's fast enough for the wings and I'm not sure he can turn fast enough for the CHF slot.
He's had some good games at CHB - but not towards the end of the season IMO
I think CHB is his best position but I don't think he did well Monday...

INDIANA

He didn't but he was playing at 7. He was just after playing well at 6 and they moved him to accomodate DOS at 11 for kerry. then DOS plays 14 and we hadn't a clue what to do.
We're not good enough to beat kerry but when I look back at the selection I can't believe how easy we made it for them

- None of our full back line play their at club level- 2 are forwards and one is a midfielder
- a rookie midfield with 2 allstars on the bench
- a number 6 playing at 7
- an offensively minded half forward line who are not good defensively.

How we ever thought we were going to win really shows how deluded we were.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 05, 2009, 02:49:00 PM
He didn't but he was playing at 7. He was just after playing well at 6 and they moved him to accomodate DOS at 11 for kerry. then DOS plays 14 and we hadn't a clue what to do.
We're not good enough to beat kerry but when I look back at the selection I can't believe how easy we made it for them

- None of our full back line play their at club level- 2 are forwards and one is a midfielder
- a rookie midfield with 2 allstars on the bench
- a number 6 playing at 7
- an offensively minded half forward line who are not good defensively.

How we ever thought we were going to win really shows how deluded we were.

Say that again ...

Of the Full back line .... 2 were Fwds and 1 was a MFiedler?

Donnellys Hollow

Cullen did so well against ourselves in the LF because he wasn't really assigned to mark anyone, only space. O'Neill and Sweeney dropped deep and it allowed Cullen a sort of free role between his full-back line and midfield. We then proceeded to stupidly kick ball down his throat during the second half which he hoovered up. He's not disciplined enough in his marking to be a top class centre back but he's too good a footballer not to be accomodated somewhere within that Dublin team. He could be the sort of Galvin or Dooher like player that Dublin lack in the half-forward line.

The number six shirt has been something of a problem position for the Dubs ever since Keith Barr retired really. I don't think Ger Brennan is the answer either. I've always thought Shane Ryan would make an excellent centre half-back and I'm suprised as to why he's never been given a proper run in that position.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

JMohan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 05, 2009, 02:53:18 PM
Cullen did so well against ourselves in the LF because he wasn't really assigned to mark anyone, only space. O'Neill and Sweeney dropped deep and it allowed Cullen a sort of free role between his full-back line and midfield. We then proceeded to stupidly kick ball down his throat during the second half which he hoovered up. He's not disciplined enough in his marking to be a top class centre back but he's too good a footballer not to be accomodated somewhere within that Dublin team. He could be the sort of Galvin or Dooher like player that Dublin lack in the half-forward line.

The number six shirt has been something of a problem position for the Dubs ever since Keith Barr retired really. I don't think Ger Brennan is the answer either. I've always thought Shane Ryan would make an excellent centre half-back and I'm suprised as to why he's never been given a proper run in that position.

I didn't want to say that to rub salt in the wounds - but you're dead right

He's great at that role - but not a man marker IMO

INDIANA

David henry plays centre half forward for raheny
denis bastic plays midfield for templeogue
Paddy andrews plays ff for brigids- excellent club forward. plays full back for DCU 4/5 times a year in Higher Education Leagues and Sigerson(short enough campiagn with DCU usually)

versus-  Cooper and Dec O Sullivan- 2 of the best forwards that have ever played the game.

Looking at it now- we hadn't a prayer. Dublin has literally little options in the full back line. So i wouldn't castigate the management for it.
2 very good corner backs on the 21's this year but Rory O carroll went to thailand and hugh gill broke his leg. To be fair I'd have some sympathy for the lack of options.

JMohan

irunthev

I don't think that there is a great deal wrong with the Dublin set-up in terms of preparation etc. I am sure they were not left wanting for anything in terms of equipment, expert advice and whatever else it takes to get a team ready and I have no doubt that Mickey Whelan's football brain is just as astute as anyone else's currently plying their trade as an inter-county coach / manager.

The problem is deeper in Dublin and has been created by themselves. Too many of the top clubs in the city have too many outsiders playing for them, thus denying local players the chance to develop and progress. I appreciate that the majority of players on these club sides are locals, but many of the key positions are staffed by outsiders. If you deny your young players the chance to play senior club, then how can you expect to come up with a group of senior players capable of winning an All Ireland. The last two All Ireland club champions have been from Dublin, but how many outsiders were on these teams?

INDIANA

Yeah they put barry cahill centre back for some reason. Again doesn't suit him. Cahill was tailor made for Galvin and Griffin for DOS. They should have moved Bastic out to Tommy Walsh after 2 mins and Griffin onto DOS. Wouldn't have changed the overall result but it would have helped the scoreline.