AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

I thought Tyrone would have beaten ourselves much more convincingly going into the quarter-final and if they are as lethargic again against Cork I don't think they'll win. Tyrone had trouble when Kildare ran at them but we couldn't do it consistently enough. Cork play a similar enough game to Kildare but I think they are much stronger than us in certain positions. I feel Shields and Lynch will do a better job of marshalling Mulligan and O'Neill and Tyrone might also struggle to curtail Canty, Miskella and O'Leary tearing forward from the half-back line.

It's a real 50/50 game as far as I'm concerned. A lot will depend on whether Cork can get a enough scores from Goulding and Donncha O'Connor. If their forwards step up, the rest of their team is good enough. Tyrone have the proven pedigree but they can't keep getting away with getting consistently cleaned out of it in midfield. Cork are excellent value at 13/8. If I was pricing it up I'd have it as 10/11 each of two.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 09, 2009, 10:37:00 PM
I thought Tyrone would have beaten ourselves much more convincingly going into the quarter-final and if they are as lethargic again against Cork I don't think they'll win. Tyrone had trouble when Kildare ran at them but we couldn't do it consistently enough. Cork play a similar enough game to Kildare but I think they are much stronger than us in certain positions. I feel Shields and Lynch will do a better job of marshalling Mulligan and O'Neill and Tyrone might also struggle to curtail Canty, Miskella and O'Leary tearing forward from the half-back line.

It's a real 50/50 game as far as I'm concerned. A lot will depend on whether Cork can get a enough scores from Goulding and Donncha O'Connor. If their forwards step up, the rest of their team is good enough. Tyrone have the proven pedigree but they can't keep getting away with getting consistently cleaned out of it in midfield. Cork are excellent value at 13/8. If I was pricing it up I'd have it as 10/11 each of two.

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

020304 Tir Eoghain

From talking to a few Cork lads, Lynch might be struggling to make the s-final.

Donnellys Hollow

Evan without Anthony Lynch I still think Cork's full-back line is better equipped to stop the marquee Tyrone forwards than Kildare's was. They have plenty of options there with Derek Kavanagh, Noel O'Donovan and now Eoin Cadogan who was called onto their panel after the hurlers were knocked out.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

People have been talking about Tyrone getting cleaned out at midfield for years now but time and again we have seen that winning the majority of high balls at midfield isnt the key to Tyrone's success. It depends how you define winning/losing midfield too, Tyrone might not win the majority of catches but between breaking ball and bypassing midfield where possible they can get away with that.

Its a tough game to call certainly and Tyrone will need to play better than they did against Kildare but then again thats always been Mickey Harte's plan, that the team would be picking up form and peaking for August/September. I honestly had a strong feeling Tyrone would lose the last day so in a way relieved to be here and hopefully the big game atmosphere will see Tyrone once again raise their performance when it matters. Tyrone might only be one bad defeat away from seeing the end of this team but then again they are only 2 wins away from greatness. Cork looked great the last day but they havent come up against a side like Tyrone at their best. Its going to be an interesting day.

Fuzzman

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 09, 2009, 06:00:01 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 09, 2009, 01:08:22 PM
ardmhachaabu, I had to ask a couple of pages ago whether we had any chance, as the Tyronies were pointing out all our deficiencies. Read back a few pages and you'll see how little confidence there is. 
I have been following the thread and to be fair I only replied to Gaffer as it was one of the silliest comments

Cork are beatable, so too are Tyrone as the Kildare match showed - arrogance annoys me though

I don't think I know you Ardmhacaabu & I didn't bother to read through many of yer previous posts but to say us Tyr moanies are arrogant & cocky about how good we are or who we'll beat is a bit rich coming from an Armagh man. Now I'm not saying all Armagh men were the same but from 2002 until last year most Armagh fans I knew always seem to overstate their claim as being the best team in the country and expected to win the AI every year they played.

I think we've proved by winning 3 AI's over 6 years that we are definitely one of the top teams this decade and so naturally with most players fit and playing well we have higher expectations as we know we have the experience now to push through for another AI.
I don't see too many people on here mouthing off all the time saying we're the best ever team and will kick everyone asses.
The facts are we're the only team to have beaten Kerry 3 times this decade and so I think that alone gives us some leeway to showing a little confidence to maybe win another AI. Of course we might fail and Cork could hammer us but don't be coming on here telling us we're OTT and bad winners.

A Quinn Martin Production

As Mickey Harte says Tyrone always win midfield...eventually!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

timmykelleher

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 10, 2009, 11:49:43 AM
The facts are we're the only team to have beaten Kerry 3 times this decade

I thought Cork beat Kerry in 2002, 2006, 2008 and 2009 ....

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 10, 2009, 04:38:09 PM

Though not once did you knock them out!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 10, 2009, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 10, 2009, 11:49:43 AM
The facts are we're the only team to have beaten Kerry 3 times this decade

Warm up matches.

tyronefan

as Frank Mc Guigan says   it's not a match when no one gets bate   (or something like that)

rebel true

I don`t know were all ye Tyrone people think ye are going to walk all over Cork. If ye start like ye did against Kildare, Cork will have ye out the gate by half time. Don`t take me wrong Tyrone are a great tream, but this Cork team has been building over the last few years, and with the U21 wins and junior football wins in the last few years it shows our strength in depth. Cork shall dominate football for the next 6 or 7 years. Tyrone have 2 or 3 good subs that they can bring on that could make a difference. Cork have at least 8 that they can spring form the bench. I fancy Cork to win by 5 or 6 points. and then on to take Kerry apart in the final

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: rebel true on August 10, 2009, 07:22:22 PM
I don`t know were all ye Tyrone people think ye are going to walk all over Cork. If ye start like ye did against Kildare, Cork will have ye out the gate by half time. Don`t take me wrong Tyrone are a great tream, but this Cork team has been building over the last few years, and with the U21 wins and junior football wins in the last few years it shows our strength in depth. Cork shall dominate football for the next 6 or 7 years. Tyrone have 2 or 3 good subs that they can bring on that could make a difference. Cork have at least 8 that they can spring form the bench. I fancy Cork to win by 5 or 6 points. and then on to take Kerry apart in the final

Where did you get that idea ???

rebel true

This will be the game of the decade, 2 teams who play the same type of football, but if tyrone don`t bring there A game cork will run through ye like butter. Who will stop miskella, canty o neil murphy o connor sheilds from breaking through

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: rebel true on August 10, 2009, 07:39:23 PM
This will be the game of the decade, 2 teams who play the same type of football, but if tyrone don`t bring there A game cork will run through ye like butter. Who will stop miskella, canty o neil murphy o connor sheilds from breaking through

Frightening thought all right, but i think i'll leave Mickey Harte & his backroom team to answer that question on the 23rd ::)