Mutu

Started by Capt Pat, August 01, 2009, 05:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Adrian Mutu the former Chelsea Player has been hit with a 17 million euro bill by the court of arbitraton for sport. If you remember he got a lengthy ban for taking cocaine so Chelsea fired him and then looked to get back the transfer fee they paid for him. In my opinion this is all wrong. Yes he took coaine but that is a recreational drug and not performance enhancing drug. It was the sports authorites that stopped him playing and made Chelsea make a loss. So I think the sports authorities are the ones that should foot the bill for Chelseas loss. The thing is Mutu had to appeal to the sports authorities and they were only ever going to rule against him and not against themselves. This thing really stinks.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 01, 2009, 05:07:38 AM
Adrian Mutu the former Chelsea Player has been hit with a 17 million euro bill by the court of arbitraton for sport. If you remember he got a lengthy ban for taking cocaine so Chelsea fired him and then looked to get back the transfer fee they paid for him. In my opinion this is all wrong. Yes he took coaine but that is a recreational drug and not performance enhancing drug. It was the sports authorites that stopped him playing and made Chelsea make a loss. So I think the sports authorities are the ones that should foot the bill for Chelseas loss. The thing is Mutu had to appeal to the sports authorities and they were only ever going to rule against him in his own favour. This thing really stinks.

Mutu was acting the playboy at Chelsea for a while, and had several warnings re his behaviour. He didn't heed, and subsequently got caught out with the drugs test. You state that cocaine is only a recreational drug, which is true, but it does have an adverse affect on one's performance.

Chelsea paid £17million for his services, and paid him handsomely to do his job. Is it fair that they should be £17 million out of pocket because of his negligence? The sport's authorities only stopped Mutu playing because he took drugs. His choice, and unfortunately now his problem. I doubt Chelsea will see very much of the cash, but it's a warning to others of the risks of not fulfilling the terms of the contract.

It's one in the eye for player power IMHO.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Hound

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 01, 2009, 07:11:21 AM
Adrian Mutu the former Chelsea Player has been hit with a 17 million euro bill by the court of arbitraton for sport. If you remember he got a lengthy ban for taking cocaine so Chelsea fired him and then looked to get back the transfer fee they paid for him. In my opinion this is all wrong. Yes he took coaine but that is a recreational drug and not performance enhancing drug. It was the sports authorites that stopped him playing and made Chelsea make a loss. So I think the sports authorities are the ones that should foot the bill for Chelseas loss. The thing is Mutu had to appeal to the sports authorities and they were only ever going to rule against him in his own favour. This thing really stinks.

Mutu was acting the playboy at Chelsea for a while, and had several warnings re his behaviour. He didn't heed, and subsequently got caught out with the drugs test. You state that cocaine is only a recreational drug, which is true, but it does have an adverse affect on one's performance.

Chelsea paid £17million for his services, and paid him handsomely to do his job. Is it fair that they should be £17 million out of pocket because of his negligence? The sport's authorities only stopped Mutu playing because he took drugs. His choice, and unfortunately now his problem. I doubt Chelsea will see very much of the cash, but it's a warning to others of the risks of not fulfilling the terms of the contract.

It's one in the eye for player power IMHO.
Well nobody forced Mutu to take the coke, but the above is clearly Chelsea's side of the story.

How many chances/warnings they gave him, I don't know - but it seems they decided they wanted him out very quickly because they thought they made a mistake and he wasnt the right sort for the club. Maybe they were right and maybe Mutu got what he deserved, but there's a strongly held belief that it was Chelsea who tipped the testers off and asked them to test Mutu on that particular day, knowing that he'd been up to no good the previous night. When the cancelled his contract they initially claimed for the bulk of the transfer fee off their insurance policy, but got nowhere, so went after the player.

I'm not saying Chelsea are wrong, but they could have done it all very differently, by protecting him and getting him right. But maybe he just wasnt worth it.

The Watcher Pat

They were only ever going to rule against him in his own favour? How does that work...Your on a no winner there...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Main Street

Mutu was acting the playboy at Chelsea for a while, and had several warnings re his behaviour. He didn't heed,

I didn't pay this story much attention at the time.
Presumably Mutu was a well known wild man before he signed for Chelsea.
Chelsea were knowingly buying faulty goods.
Warnings related to what type of behaviour? presumably dealt with according to the clubs discipline structure.

QuoteChelsea paid £17million for his services, and paid him handsomely to do his job. Is it fair that they should be £17 million out of pocket because of his negligence? The sport's authorities only stopped Mutu playing because he took drugs. His choice, and unfortunately now his problem. I doubt Chelsea will see very much of the cash, but it's a warning to others of the risks of not fulfilling the terms of the contract.
Did Mutu receive that 17m as part of his contract?
I suspect he did not.
Imo the player is not responsible for transfer fees between clubs. Transfer fees are a clubs responsibility.
If the goods are faulty, refer to transfer contract, return to sender and get your money back.
If the goods are passed on to another club, then it is up to the clubs to work it out.

Mutu's responsibility is to his contract, what part of the contract says that if he does break the terms of his contract then he is responsible for compensating Chelsea for something entirely out of his control, namely the transfer fee?

The Watcher Pat

How can his ex club be responsible for his future conduct MS? He broke the rules and therefor he and only he is responsible for taking coke....If i left my current work and joined a job where i was tested positive for drug use who's at fault? Me or my former employees?

He should have had more sense and knew he was subject to drug testing and not have took them in the first instance..

No sympathy for him at all...

orangeman

too good for him. Too much time, too much money and not enough sense.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Can't understand how Chelsea feel they are entitled to £17 million. They signed him for that sum on a 4(?) year contract. He was suspended for what? 6 months? THerefore the most his behaviour cost them was a bit over £2 million (the period of his contract for which he would be suspended). It was Chelsea's decision to sack him and they shouldn't be rewarded for that in my view, no matter how much of a fool Mutu is.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Capt Pat

Quote from: Main Street on August 01, 2009, 09:46:37 AM

Mutu was acting the playboy at Chelsea for a while, and had several warnings re his behaviour. He didn't heed,

I didn't pay this story much attention at the time.
Presumably Mutu was a well known wild man before he signed for Chelsea.
Chelsea were knowingly buying faulty goods.
Warnings related to what type of behaviour? presumably dealt with according to the clubs discipline structure.

QuoteChelsea paid £17million for his services, and paid him handsomely to do his job. Is it fair that they should be £17 million out of pocket because of his negligence? The sport's authorities only stopped Mutu playing because he took drugs. His choice, and unfortunately now his problem. I doubt Chelsea will see very much of the cash, but it's a warning to others of the risks of not fulfilling the terms of the contract.
Did Mutu receive that 17m as part of his contract?
I suspect he did not.
Imo the player is not responsible for transfer fees between clubs. Transfer fees are a clubs responsibility.
If the goods are faulty, refer to transfer contract, return to sender and get your money back.
If the goods are passed on to another club, then it is up to the clubs to work it out.

Mutu's responsibility is to his contract, what part of the contract says that if he does break the terms of his contract then he is responsible for compensating Chelsea for something entirely out of his control, namely the transfer fee?

This is what I forgot to write down, that transfer fee had nothing to do with Mutu that was between the clubs. It was Fifa(or the FA) who stopped him from working with the suspension and Chelsea that fired him and his previous club that pocketed the 17 million transfer fee. mutu foolishly challenged them through the sporting bodies disciplinary procedures right up to the court of arbitration for sport and they are set up by FIFA and other sports bodies to look after their interests. The only thing I can think of is that there is a clause in Mutus contract that says he would be liable for the transfer fee if he failed to complete the job required of him. The thing is Chelsea fired him and they did not have to so I do not see how they are entitled to clam that money from Mutu.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 01, 2009, 11:53:57 AM
Can't understand how Chelsea feel they are entitled to £17 million. They signed him for that sum on a 4(?) year contract. He was suspended for what? 6 months? THerefore the most his behaviour cost them was a bit over £2 million (the period of his contract for which he would be suspended). It was Chelsea's decision to sack him and they shouldn't be rewarded for that in my view, no matter how much of a fool Mutu is.

So how much could they sell him for then?

Of course if you rent for 4 yrs for say £1000 and it breaks after 6 mths are you not going to ask for your money back?

Same principle...

Main Street

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on August 01, 2009, 11:18:39 AM
How can his ex club be responsible for his future conduct MS? He broke the rules and therefor he and only he is responsible for taking coke....If i left my current work and joined a job where i was tested positive for drug use who's at fault? Me or my former employees?

He should have had more sense and knew he was subject to drug testing and not have took them in the first instance..

No sympathy for him at all...
I am not saying his club pre - chelsea are in any way responsible.
I am saying if Mutu had already been flagged  (as I suspect) for his social indiscipline
Chelsea could have made sure that there was a clause in the transfer contract re Mutus adherence to regular discipline or else.

If a player gets injured for 2 months, the club are insurance covered for the players salary, they are not covered for a 2 month proportion of the transfer fee. But if they did want to insure loss of transfer fee then they would have to negotiate terms for that to be in the insurance contract.
Basically I think it is entirely Chelsea responsibility to decide what they want to invest for a transfer fee and it is entirely Chelseas responsibility to insure that investment.

I seriously doubt that there was a clause in Mutus chelsea contract making hin responsible for the transfer fee.

Eastern_Pride

Mutu was a tawt anyway and couldn't care less about his football. The fine was a massive warning it had nothing to do with mutu, the fool.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Capt Pat

Mutu lost his final appeal againt having to pay 17 million euro to chelsea. This doesn't make any sense.

quit yo jibbajabba

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 14, 2010, 03:24:00 PM
Mutu lost his final appeal againt having to pay 17 million euro to chelsea. This doesn't make any sense.

If Chelsea had've sacked Mutu on the wrong, they would've been sued for breech of contract. Works both ways.

Good to see players don't have all the power after all.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone