How can you care about soccer?

Started by SidelineKick, July 30, 2009, 10:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: bingobus on July 30, 2009, 12:38:46 PM
My biggest gripe with some of the GAA is the "nothing compares to our game" mentality and everything else is inferior. Thats very insular looking and if we all carried that mentality we'd have got nowhere. The games are still full of weakness - discipline system, skill levels, overemphasis on fitness/strength, diving, cheating to get players sent off. All these happen in our games, yet we use some of them to beat other games. Its an inferior complex.
The GAA is great but it is far from perfect.

Nothing compares to the GAA for me, as it's fantastic to watch. But to say it's a superiority thing, I wouldn't go that far. I can appreciate Rugby, Aussie Rules and other sports. Not soccer though.
Testing Accessibility

corn02

Quote from: SidelineKick on July 30, 2009, 12:46:04 PM
Corn I'm afraid there is a difference between admiring somebody and calling them God.

When have I ever said or typed that he was God?

One night in the Bot you said you were going to Cross to sleep outside his house!

God's a nickname, Peter Canavan had the same one, had you a problem with that?

SidelineKick

Quote from: corn02 on July 30, 2009, 12:50:43 PM
Corn I'm afraid there is a difference between admiring somebody and calling them God.

One night in the Bot you said you were going to Cross to sleep outside his house!

Not really because I'm sure quite alot of people that call him that know the man and its only a bit of banter.  You on the other hand are infatuated with a man who wouldnt give one f**k who you were.  You do realise you called him God yeah?  I'm sure i was probably joking about sleeping outside Francies house.

My main reasons for liking him if you must know are:

1) He's a big quiet man
2) He's ginger
3) He's from Cross and as you know I have the utmost respect for them
4) He doesnt snort coke (not that I know of anyway)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

corn02

Quote from: SidelineKick on July 30, 2009, 12:54:51 PM

Not really because I'm sure quite alot of people that call him that know the man and its only a bit of banter.  You on the other hand are infatuated with a man who wouldnt give one f**k who you were.  You do realise you called him God yeah? 

What a contradiction.

Plenty of Tyrone folk who never knew Canavan called him God, and plenty of people outside Tyrone too,, are you honestly saying he cared for all them?

Is it different that they call him God and Liverpool fans call Fowler God, because I don't see it. It's a nickname, and applies to both sports.

Amazing if you think it's ok for Canavan but not for Fowler.

fitzroyalty

Maybe cos Fowler was/is a twat  :P

bingobus

Quote from: corn02 on July 30, 2009, 01:04:12 PM

Not really because I'm sure quite alot of people that call him that know the man and its only a bit of banter.  You on the other hand are infatuated with a man who wouldnt give one f**k who you were.  You do realise you called him God yeah? 

What a contradiction.

Plenty of Tyrone folk who never knew Canavan called him God, and plenty of people outside Tyrone too,, are you honestly saying he cared for all them?

Is it different that they call him God and Liverpool fans call Fowler God, because I don't see it. It's a nickname, and applies to both sports.

Thats it in one for me one. Its ok and acceptable to apply some opinions and actions to one sport but not acceptable to apply same reasoning to other sports.

I respect everyones rights to form opinions but when they totally contradict themselves in their reasoning they should row back a bit.

Its a nickname for christsake. Corn doesn't actually think or believe he is God (I hope).

theskull1

Quote from: bingobus on July 30, 2009, 11:49:41 AM

No harm Skull but thats very condescending and a form of snobbery.

Rather than reading what I have to say and considering it, yes I do realsie that many of the people I refer to will view it simply as condesending and not go any further in thought processing than that, (you do note that I have stated there are exceptions so you're obviously not one of the people I have a real beef with)

I just think theres very little introspection taking place in the people I am referring to. It's not my fault if that truth will offend them.

The GAA is no panecea for our society I totally agree btw and what an empty world it would be unless people had other interests, but it keeps communities united and disciplined like nothing else I know. The sport and success that may come for some from playing it is only a part of what the GAA offers
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Lazer

15 reasons why the GAA is better than soccer...?
1) The GAA player who played in front of 80,000 at the weekend will be teaching your children, selling you meat or fixing your drains on Monday morning. The soccer player who plays in front of 80,000 will be moaning about playing too many games and will be trying to sell you his personalised brand of leisure wear.

2) GAA nicknames are better. Soccer players just add a Y to their surnames

3) Cork vs Kerry is a real derby. What does Utd. Vs City mean to Vidic or Robinho?

4) How many soccer players does it take to screw in a light bulb? Answer eleven. One to stick it in and ten to surround and kiss him after he does it.

5) Soccer players go to the papers after a game. GAA players go to the pub.

6) John Terry would run a mile if he came up against Francie Bellew.

7) GAA teams are numbered 1-15. A soccer team reads like the lottery results.

8) All soccer players wear shin pads. Some hurlers don't even wear helmets.

9) Television runs soccer. Schoolteachers run the GAA.

10) The GAA is about where you're from. Soccer is about who you like.

11) No segregation at GAA games.

12) No soccer team has a nickname quite as lovely as the Fighting Cocks of Carlow.

13) Bubble perms never made it to Croke Park.

14) A scoreless draw in the GAA would be quite a novelty.

15) Roman Abramovich can buy the League. You can't buy the Liam McCarthy or Sam McGuire.
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

corn02

Quote from: bingobus on July 30, 2009, 01:11:31 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 30, 2009, 01:04:12 PM

What a contradiction.

Thats it in one for me one. Its ok and acceptable to apply some opinions and actions to one sport but not acceptable to apply same reasoning to other sports.

I respect everyones rights to form opinions but when they totally contradict themselves in their reasoning they should row back a bit.

Its a nickname for christsake. Corn doesn't actually think or believe he is God (I hope).

Obviously not, Kuyt is God.

deiseach

Any Evertonian I was ever talking to about Fowler's line-sniffing antics - in fact, I was discussing it on Sunday on the way to Thurles with a woman who wore an Everton shirt to the game - thought it was gas altogether. In public though, they feigned won't-someone-please-think-of-the-children outrage so he'd get carpeted by the authorities. I'd probably have done the same had it been Druncan Ferguson

Our Nail Loney

When I was younger I used to support United and Celtic, mainly because all my mates id as well and I didn't wanna get left out....

Now I have caught myself on and wouldn't follow any soccer teams, not even Celtic though I would have a soft spot for them obviously and like to see them do well...

I would watch the Champions League though every week when its on and whatever matches are on the weekend, mainly as I would have a bet on them.

Anyone who cries over a soccer team needs a good hiding, give them something to cry about my ma always used to say when I was younger.

bingobus

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 30, 2009, 01:52:16 PM

Anyone who cries over a soccer team sporting event needs a good hiding, give them something to cry about my ma always used to say when I was younger.

Donnellys Hollow

Can't understand why people are so obsessed with the soccer circus at all. All it is nowadays is a billionaires playground where the richest clubs/(businesses) prosper. A few of my mates spend fortunes travelling over to the north of England every winter following teams that they have no connection to whatsoever. They worship foreign mercenaries who wouldn't stop to pish on them if they were on fire! The ironic thing is that most of them will worship at the alter of English players like Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Shearer etc. and then they will shout for any mickey mouse nation when they are playing the English national team at the world cup.

Each to their own I suppose
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

deiseach

Been a long time since I cried over any defeat. But victory? Forgive me for welling up a few times in the last decade. Even over Liverpool

deiseach

I don't understand why people don't understand. People have listed lots of reasons. You may not like them. You may think they're wrongheaded. That doesn't mean they are incomprehensible.