Wee James Is The New Down Manager

Started by CĂșig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Pete severely overestimates his standing in down currently.

certainly the players were dreading him getting the job - particularly the u21s who've been under him for the last few years and those senior players who'd been there at the tail end of his last stint.

I have yet to talk to a down man who isn't delighted with the overall appointment and on top of that every armagh man i talk to throws in a comment about how well down have done in their appointment when discussing our own mess.

Pete must be having a laugh with the mick collins comment?

orangeman

Quote from: fairplay on September 17, 2009, 09:55:44 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 17, 2009, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: wobbller on September 17, 2009, 09:49:55 AM
Quote from: fairplay on September 17, 2009, 09:43:42 AM
  Can we move on? 
Down have their Manager.Armagh haven't.End of.
But it has left a bad taste which we are entitled to discuss.

It definitely has - so much so that Pete has gone public. Another former great shafted by his own.

Who was previously shafted and how was Pete shafted in this instance?

Read the back page of the Irish News.

The GAA

Pete thinks he was shafted because he didn't get the job. nobody else does

orangeman

Quote from: fairplay on September 17, 2009, 10:15:55 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 17, 2009, 10:12:04 AM
Quote from: fairplay on September 17, 2009, 09:55:44 AM
Quote from: orangeman on September 17, 2009, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: wobbller on September 17, 2009, 09:49:55 AM
Quote from: fairplay on September 17, 2009, 09:43:42 AM
  Can we move on? 
Down have their Manager.Armagh haven't.End of.
But it has left a bad taste which we are entitled to discuss.

It definitely has - so much so that Pete has gone public. Another former great shafted by his own.

Who was previously shafted and how was Pete shafted in this instance?

Read the back page of the Irish News.
I have read it and it's a load of rubbish.Move on Pete and row in behind McCartan.

Hopefully he will but only after he gets a good old moan about it.

Bitta-Banter

If McGrath found out that he didnt get the job via the Irish News then that is a disgrace.He was led to believe that the announcement wouldnt be made for 3 weeks.He isnt aggrieved over McCartan getting the job over him, he is making the point about how County Board acted.What sort of muppets are these people?

filthydog

Quote from: Bitta-Banter on September 17, 2009, 12:43:26 PM
If McGrath found out that he didnt get the job via the Irish News then that is a disgrace.He was led to believe that the announcement wouldnt be made for 3 weeks.He isnt aggrieved over McCartan getting the job over him, he is making the point about how County Board acted.What sort of muppets are these people?

Co.Down Muppets?

Leo

I am no apologist for county board but can somebody tell me exactly what they did wrong?
As for the leaking of the appointment this is clearly down to one individual on the selection panel, unfortunate but happens all the time. To be fair up until Thursday last the panel had kept the whole process very tight.
So again I ask how did the county baord act that justifies the muppet analogu in this case?
Fierce tame altogether

The GAA

I'd suggest the opposite actually. granted the early media knowledge is something he latched onto but he went to great pains to articulate his cv and show his astonishment at being overlooked

full back

He has every right to be p1ssed off if he didnt get the job, any man worth his salt would be the same.
But to do this in the media certainly starts dragging the CB thorugh the muck. It isnt helping Down's cause at all

People who applauded the CB for getting shot of Carr will now be criticising them for 'shafting' Pete

Upperbann

Leo if you are as knowledgeable as you appear to be about the goings on in Down i cannot see how you can condone how the County Board have acted in this whole debacle! I feel they need to be taken to task over the whole episode.   :-\

Leo

Quote from: Upperbann on September 17, 2009, 01:33:44 PM
Leo if you are as knowledgeable as you appear to be about the goings on in Down i cannot see how you can condone how the County Board have acted in this whole debacle! I feel they need to be taken to task over the whole episode.   :-\

You've obviously mis-read my post.It is because I am anything but knowledgeable that I am asking the question - what did the co board do that has upset Pete?
Nobody seems to be able to say what they did wrong but plenty seem to be slagging them off - maybe they are right - I just want to know.
Fierce tame altogether

Upperbann

I think its the way he found out about it thats the problem.  Certainly the article in the Irish News sounds a bit like sour grapes but there are individuals within the County set-up who are obviously informing media and other organisations - and it stinks.  The same happened when Carr / Kane were sacked.  Comments were made over on the local thread about 'certain peoples egos' - its nothing to do with ego's.  Carr & Kane were unfairly treated and so was Pete McGrath - not because they didn't get the job but the methods that were used to oust or discount them.  I just think it should have been handled better and in saying that i welcome the new appointments, i think they have their work cut out for them but i wish them luck.

full back

Quote from: Upperbann on September 17, 2009, 02:03:04 PM
Carr & Kane were unfairly treated and so was Pete McGrath - not because they didn't get the job but the methods that were used to oust or discount them.

Did Pete not complain about a question he was asked?

Bitta-Banter

If there is someone leaking info then its in best interests to get him out.There is a lack of decency with the situation.As soon as decision was made McGrath should have been the first man informed. I think he is entitled to that at least,also they should be trying to keep Pete sweet as he should be U-21 mangager next going for 3 in a row.
I think the appointment of McCartan and co is the right one,but handled poorly.

thewobbler

Apart from when a manager retires at the top, is it actually possible to oust a manager in an non-acrimonious way?

Apart from when there are no other contenders, is it possible to select a manager without offending a few others?

A load of fuss about nothing if you ask me.