Wee James Is The New Down Manager

Started by Cúig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 11, 2009, 08:40:08 PM
Right decision in my opinion given where we are.

Yeah agree with this management team. Hope they do a good job and I wish them well.

In the Onion Bag

A missed opportunity to deal with the root cause of Down's problems. I loved the Wee Man as a player but remain unconvinced about his managerial ability.  To me this appointment signals the continuance of the incestuous 'Newry' based and therefore, myopic, approach to team selection.  Is will just keep us where we are.  Selection will likely continue to be biased in favour of certain clubs, leagues, and schools limiting the Co Team's potential. 
Why can't learn from Tyrone's example when it comes to finding and developng real talent within the Co.  In Tyrone club, league, reigion and school/Uni attendied isn't a an important factor?

This Newry/South Dowm clique will be broken sooner or later but seems this opportunity has passed us by this time.
Tally should have got the job with, perhaps, We James assisting.

Nevertheless, I wish them well and hope I am wrong.

Logan

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 11, 2009, 10:58:10 PM
A missed opportunity to deal with the root cause of Down's problems. I loved the Wee Man as a player but remain unconvinced about his managerial ability.  To me this appointment signals the continuance of the incestuous 'Newry' based and therefore, myopic, approach to team selection.  Is will just keep us where we are.  Selection will likely continue to be biased in favour of certain clubs, leagues, and schools limiting the Co Team's potential. 
Why can't learn from Tyrone's example when it comes to finding and developng real talent within the Co.  In Tyrone club, league, reigion and school/Uni attendied isn't a an important factor?

This Newry/South Dowm clique will be broken sooner or later but seems this opportunity has passed us by this time.

Can't agree with that!

Tally is a trainer - why would you let him manage?

That's like asking a horse to be a jockey - same sport two completely different jobs

Logan

I had a suspicion Aidan O'Rourke might be on the McCartan ticket but unfounded

seamusthebard

Good luck to wee James with the Down job and thanks for for the work with us. Luck wasn't with us this year. You have a good partner in Brian.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: orangeman on September 11, 2009, 12:03:40 PM
Mc Cartan, Tally and Mc Iver will form a great team - it won't be their fault if things go wrong again.
How can you say that when the outgoing team was sacked because'things went wrong again'?
This is an interesting trio. Of the three, Mc Iver is the tried and tested manager. Tally is a trainer, James will give it loads , like his cousin DJ, and will upset some along the way but you can't argue with his determination to achieve at the highest level. Hope he doesn't involve his extended family , interesting times ahead !

wobbller

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 11, 2009, 10:58:10 PM

Yawn Yawn as regard your S/E Down rant and how would Tally help in this imaginary issue you have?Also tell me someone from ED who
wasn't on that Down panel that should have been?
Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

waitingforsam

im with the wobbler on this one zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Been waiting since '94

waitingforsam

Quote from: topgun on September 11, 2009, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 11, 2009, 12:03:40 PM
Mc Cartan, Tally and Mc Iver will form a great team - it won't be their fault if things go wrong again.

sure the management team always gets the blame it will be no different this time down just dont hav the players yet too young

Fu*c off back to the armagh thread - please
Been waiting since '94

Pangurban

Think these appointments are a massive mistake, forsee lots of fines in future. When will we learn that the pedigree required from a great player is totally different to that required of a great manager, and only on rare occasions, will you find both qualities in an individual. Having observed James closely on the sideline, i would query his temperament and Man management skills. Hope he proves me wrong, in the meantime all concerned will have my full support

stew

Quote from: Pangurban on September 12, 2009, 04:00:50 PM
Think these appointments are a massive mistake, forsee lots of fines in future. When will we learn that the pedigree required from a great player is totally different to that required of a great manager, and only on rare occasions, will you find both qualities in an individual. Having observed James closely on the sideline, i would query his temperament and Man management skills. Hope he proves me wrong, in the meantime all concerned will have my full support

Thank you God for this appointment, it will be a disaster and keep down where they belong, in the doldrums. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

centre 3/4s

Totally agree the man was a great player bt has nt proven himself at management enough to get a position like this. He has been manager of a good burren team and a very good ballinderry team and made a dogs arse of them both.. plus he is an arrogant wee shite!!!

dundrumite

Quote from: stew on September 12, 2009, 06:31:01 PM

Thank you God for this appointment, it will be a disaster and keep down where they belong, in the doldrums. ;D

Prat..
Lads give the man a chance. Pangurban why have a good rant first then pledge your support? Why not just pledge your support.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: centre 3/4s on September 12, 2009, 07:58:30 PM

Totally agree the man was a great player bt has nt proven himself at management enough to get a position like this. He has been manager of a good burren team and a very good ballinderry team and made a dogs arse of them both.. plus he is an arrogant wee shite!!!

To be fair to James he did very very well with Queens' during his time there.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Cúig huaire

Quote from: dundrumite on September 12, 2009, 08:07:17 PM
Pangurban why have a good rant first then pledge your support? Why not just pledge your support.

My thoughts exactly.
Whatever experience Wee James may lack at intercounty level will be more than compensated by the inclusion of McIver and Tally. There is no better football stock in the county than the McCartans. Its time to stop bickering and get behind the team and the management again. This should be a clean slate for Down football.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.