Back to Back All Irelands are tough

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

It is indisputable that Kerry have won more Sam Maguire than Tyrone this decade.
The main case being put forward by some posters  that Tyrone are better because they have beaten Kerry the 3 times that they met in the Championship.  To address this point, let me use an example of a decade from history....
In the '60s, Down could justifiably claim to be the team of the decade (hold fire please Galway posters and indulge me for the sake of making this point!).
However, when you talk to Cavan people who were around during that decade, they will all tell you that Down should have won more than 3 AI then but for the fact that Cavan consistently beat them in Ulster Final. So, were Cavan better than Down in the '60s?  Some would say that they were.  But does that make them the team of that decade? No, of course not.

Back to this decade....  It is a good record that Tyrone have over Kerry, but that feat alone does  not make them the team of the decade, no more than it would make Cavan the  team of the '60s.

P.S. The Galway 3 in a row is in no way diminished  ;D

puskas

it is indeed indisuptable that Kerry will have won more this decade than Tyrone. does this make them TotD? some here, mostly from Kerry, argue it does. others like myself argue that it doesn't. others argue that it's a nonsense argument. I don't get this. there have been two outstanding teams in the last 10 years, why not discuss and debate who is the better?

re Down and cavan in the 60s, I'm not sure it's a good comparison. Armagh with all their Ulster titles this decade ahead of Tyrone wouldn't make any claim that they were better than Tyrone during the period.

i think the team of the decade argument ended on Sunday. Had Tyrone won a 4th All-Ireland, it would have been end of story, but 3 titles, admirable though they are, is not dominance of a decade. Even if they don't win this year, Kerry can now indisputably say they won the most titles in this decade, true, but they haven't dominated it either as they failed 3 times to better the other major team of the decade. It's a question of definition I suppose, if you consider it purely a title count (as the Kerry fans do) then it's Kerry's, if you consider it dominance of a decade (a more subjective concept) then it's no-one's, neither Kerry's or Tyrone's in my opinion. just like the 60s you mention and most other decades there hasn't been a team of the decade.

No way ref

i couldn't be bothered to read all of this thread so this may have been said before but anyways here goes. Tyrone's failure to win this years All Ireland mean that Kerry have been the most consistant team of the decade so therefore they are the team of the decade, BUT (isn't there always), the Tyrone team of 2005 is the best football team i have ever seen (from 1986 to present). I was too young to see the Kerry team of the late 70's/ early 80's 

Kerry Mike

As someone said there are no awards for Team of the Decade, its a media stunt that started in the 70's with the Decade of the Dubs shite, that was a great one to get the rise out of Kerry people, its the same nowadays with Tyrone v Kerry, its media crap, I like most Kerry people are only interested in one thing, thats is winning Sam. That's the barometer that history will measure by.

As for back to back titles being tough to win, yes its damn tough to do and only one county has pulled it off since 1990 but of course they were "easy" All Ireland's and don't really count, but as I always say if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Tyrone's achievements have been immense since 2003 and they are a super team that have the respect of most people in Kerry including Mr Spillane (but by jaysus can he wind ye lot up), and they will be remembered as one of the great teams of the GAA , though they are not finished just yet, I'd guess.

On a lighter note the country as a whole can be grateful that Tyrone were around the last few years or otherwise we may well have had the mythical 5-in-a-row finally sown up, Feck me we were a Canavan Goal, and a McConnell save away from the being possibly the greatest team ever  :P :P :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

muppet

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 24, 2009, 08:50:47 PM
As someone said there are no awards for Team of the Decade, its a media stunt that started in the 70's with the Decade of the Dubs shite, that was a great one to get the rise out of Kerry people, its the same nowadays with Tyrone v Kerry, its media crap, I like most Kerry people are only interested in one thing, thats is winning Sam. That's the barometer that history will measure by.

As for back to back titles being tough to win, yes its damn tough to do and only one county has pulled it off since 1990 but of course they were "easy" All Ireland's and don't really count, but as I always say if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Tyrone's achievements have been immense since 2003 and they are a super team that have the respect of most people in Kerry including Mr Spillane (but by jaysus can he wind ye lot up), and they will be remembered as one of the great teams of the GAA , though they are not finished just yet, I'd guess.

On a lighter note the country as a whole can be grateful that Tyrone were around the last few years or otherwise we may well have had the mythical 5-in-a-row finally sown up, Feck me we were a Canavan Goal, and a McConnell save away from the being possibly the greatest team ever  :P :P :P

What about team of the (21st) century? We'll give Kerry the last century.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Well said KM
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

supersarsfields

Fair play KM, gracious as ever and no dancing over our graves. Could ya not go and have a wee word in MS's ear and tell him to cop himself on.

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on August 24, 2009, 08:52:28 PM

What about team of the (21st) century? We'll give Kerry the last century.

We as in Mayo  :o
Ye must be slow starters or are ye working on getting longer odds? ;D

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stew

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 24, 2009, 09:01:25 PM

Fair play KM, gracious as ever and no dancing over our graves. Could ya not go and have a wee word in MS's ear and tell him to cop himself on.

Ach go easy on young Sheehy, himself was a wee bit upset at the fact that the orchard men from the big bad north had beaten his beloved Kerry again.

Rumour has it he is busy today getting fitted for the straighjacket he is going to need should Kerry face Cork in the AI. That will completely send him off the deep end. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Kerry Mike

Quoteshould Kerry face Cork in the AI

Facing Cork is one thing, losing to them is another, I will be getting fitted for the auld strait jacket then too.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

longrunsthefox

Most sensible post yet about this team of the decade nonsense. anyway the tyrone taem won All Ireland in 2003 was a fair bit different than 2008... so which team? Is a stupid debate-even tho i too have got into it, usually baited by that clown Sheehy.
Waited all my life to win one Sam and then get three in six years... that'll do me  :P

johnpower

I agree what a nonsense . Its a pity sometimes that  players only get recognition when they are finished

comethekingdom

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 24, 2009, 10:37:31 PM

Facing Cork is one thing, losing to them is another, I will be getting fitted for the auld strait jacket then too.
Put my name down for one too KM. Losing to the langers will be devastating if it happens!

longrunsthefox

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 24, 2009, 11:34:18 PM

Put my name down for one too KM. Losing to the langers will be devastating if it happens!

You serious?!!  :o COME ON THE REBELS!!!

johnpower

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 24, 2009, 11:34:18 PM

Lets see what happens on Sunday if we are not good enough this year then Meath on you go and sort them out alot of my friends are from Cork and the slagging is always  good .