Tyrone v Kildare AIQF official thread!

Started by cadhlancian, July 26, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare team according to KFM - two changes with Chalky White in for Conway and Leper Callaghan in for Donnelly.

1. Tom Corley - Moorefield

2. Emmet Bolton - Eadestown

3. Hugh McGrillen - Celbridge

4. Mick Foley - Athy

5. Morgan O'Flaherty - Carbury

6. Brian Flanagan - Johnstownbridge

7. Gary White - Sarsfields

8. Daryl Flynn - Moorefield

9. Dermot Earley - Sarsfields

10. James Kavanagh - Ballymore

11. Pádraig O'Neill - St Laurences

12. Ronan Sweeney - Moorefield

13. Éamonn Callaghan - Naas

14. Alan Smith - Sarsfields

15. Johnny Doyle (c) - Allenwood

No real surprises there. Callaghan starting is a huge boost but there has to be doubts over whether he lasts the full 70 mins. Conway's distribution and playmaking ability will be missed but Chalky brings an aggresion and physicality that is needed to beat Tyrone. You could justify making further changes in the full-back line but if the management think that any of the other options aren't doing the business in training then you have to trust their judgement. I'd expect Bolton, Hughie and Mick to come out firing after the criticism they've received but if any of them are in trouble early on, we'll need to make changes fast. Tyrone will show no mercy in front of goal and we can't be as loose as we were in the last two matches. If we get a foothold in midfield, no reason to believe we can't with Dermot in such great form, our inside forwards can cause Mickey Harte a few headaches. Smith will put away any sniff of a goal chance and Johnny is due a big performance.

clarshack

damian mccaul was in the squad the last day after a lengthy lay off but isnt in the subs for sunday. is he injured again? i recall he scored a great point against meath at the same stage 2 years ago.

LilySavage

Come on Kildare, give it everything, youve done us proud so far, if we are to  go out lets go out in a blaze of glory..On The Lilywhites!

Fear ón Srath Bán

From today's Irish Times:

Too hot to be caught cold at this stage

ALL-IRELAND SFC QUARTER-FINAL TYRONE v KILDARE: KEITH DUGGAN talks to Derry manager Damian Cassidy who says even when you know what Tyrone are going to do, it is very difficult to prevent it

ALL IS calm, weirdly calm, in camp Tyrone. As the All-Ireland champions prepare for their first appearance in Croke Park since the novelty National League fixture against Dublin at the end of January, the most striking story about Tyrone is that there is no story.

Practically all of the hype has been directed at the high-octane exuberance with which Dublin reclaimed the Leinster title and the Big Fallout – or otherwise – in Kerry. All the while, Tyrone have been advancing stealthily with no alarms and no surprises.

Winning back-to-back All-Ireland titles is their stated objective. In 2004, their likelihood – and in truth, their interest – in achieving that ambition finished with the tragic death of Cormac McAnallen. After the 2005 success, a void was created by the retirement of Peter Canavan. His absence was always going to challenge the remaining Tyrone players but the following May, following Brian McGuigan's broken leg, they were pitched into an injury crisis that became so severe it seemed as though the Red Hand county was jinxed.

They bowed out of the All-Ireland playing in a gale-force wind against Mick O'Dwyer's Laois and by the looks on their faces, they were not all that sorry the season was over either. They knew there was no All-Ireland title beckoning that summer. The easy memory of that match – played on a Saturday evening in Portlaoise that felt and looked like a wild December – is that Tyrone fielded a badly-depleted team.

But despite the injuries – McGuigan, the key man in their All-Ireland run was obviously missing, so too were Brian Dooher, Stephen O'Neill and Conor Gormley – Tyrone were still able to select nine of the team who started last September's All-Ireland final. (That number would probably have been 10 but for the fact goalkeeper John Devine had to withdraw from the team on the eve of last year's final when his father passed away).

Since then, Tyrone have been successful in grooming Justin McMahon as a prototype modern full back, they have successfully remodelled Ryan McMenamin and/or Conor Gormley as centre backs, Enda McGinley has found his rightful place on the team as a rampaging midfielder and Tommy McGuigan has matured into a cutting-edge forward.

TYRONE WERE favourites to win this year's Ulster title and did so with the minimum of fuss. Their victories over Armagh, Derry and Antrim did not seem to exercise them unduly. But their passage to the quarter-finals has been so smooth it leaves them open to the risk of not being able to switch in to their unique brand, with a full-on defensive press switching automatically to total attacking football.

Last year, they improved incrementally through the qualifiers so that when presented with the glamour challenge of Dublin, they were primed to unleash a style of football no other team could live with. The big challenge for Tyrone this weekend is to raise their game as the occasion demands.

"If it was any other team apart from Tyrone, I would say that it left them at a disadvantage," says Damian Cassidy, the Derry manager. "But because it is Tyrone I find it difficult to imagine them being caught out in that manner. I suppose I have made no secret of the fact that I think they have been the best team in Ireland over the past five or six years.

"Obviously Kerry have claims in that regard as well but the bottom line is that when the teams have met in big games, Tyrone have been able to dismantle them.

"They have made it clear that they want to make their mark by winning consecutive All-Irelands. And if you look at their approach, they don't really bother with challenge games but they play in-house games and with the panel they have at their disposal, they can play full-on, intense, quality games.

"The strength in depth of their squad means that even the best players have to stay sharp and maintain their form to hold their place on the team. And this year, they have very few injury troubles. So when you put those things together, it is hard to see them being caught out. Maybe for the first 20 minutes against Kildare, they will have to adapt to the pace of the game but that will be it."

ALTHOUGH TYRONE ultimately beat Derry convincingly in the Ulster semi-final, it remains the key game of their summer to date. They held the Oak Leaf county to just seven points – a week later Derry went out and posted 3-16 against Monaghan.

The match was an eye-opener for Cassidy in his first year in charge, confirming what he already suspected to be the case: that in order to have a chance against Tyrone, you have to come into the match with all cylinders firing. Derry sabotaged their own chances, with Fergal Doherty missing with suspension and the impressive James Kielt absent after he was struck during a club match. Immediately, the percentage chance of a victory diminished.

But even when Cassidy ruminates on the way the game unfolded, he can see a few chinks in Tyrone's armour that his team were unable to exploit.

"There was a 15-minute spell after half-time when we dominated. We were down by 0-8 to 0-3 and we have six wides, four of which were definitely scoring chances. If we had taken those, I am not saying we would have won but we would have made it more difficult for Tyrone. Then Brian Dooher came on the field and immediately kicked a terrific point and that is when the opportunity was gone.

"The score was 0-10 to 0-6 with 12 minutes remaining and then Kevin McGuckin was sent off in ridiculous circumstances. And Tyrone pulled away from us.

"Of course, all of that is just me looking back at it with rose-tinted Derry glasses. The reality is that while other teams know what Tyrone are going to do, it is very difficult to prevent it and even more difficult to replicate it."

TYRONE ONLY have to look back as far as 2007, when they came into the All-Ireland series as quarter-finalists only to be beaten by Meath, to draw parallels with their current position, a comparison that Joe McMahon made during the week. Tyrone may have been caught cold on that occasion but Kildare have given plenty of advance warning of their potential and the presence of Kieran McGeeney in front of the Lilywhite dugout is bound to add a little spice to the pot.

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has stated he cannot wait to get his team back into Croke Park – pointing out he had called for their first-round tie against Armagh to be played there. But more significant is the fact Tyrone have been playing well. The chief reason for their trouble-free season is they have not allowed any team to cause them trouble.

Only the training-ground injury that would appear to have ruled goalkeeper Devine out of the remainder of the championship has blighted their preparation for the All-Ireland series. Even without the services of the unlucky Devine, Harte has been able to call on the vastly experienced Pascal McConnel.

The expectation that Kildare will try to neutralise Tyrone using much the same tactics as the Armagh of McGeeney's era did may or may not hold true. The big problem, as Cassidy sees it, is that no matter how you set your stall out against Tyrone, they have ways to sidestep those traps.

As Kildare selector John Grimley put it, "One door shuts and another door opens".

"The success of any team is built on its half-back line and the strength of its midfield," says Cassidy. "Tyrone have, in Davy Harte and Philip Jordan, two attacking half backs who can take scores and midfielders who can score, as well as six free-scoring forwards. No other team can match that – they might have one scoring half back but not two.

"Against Antrim, Ryan McMenamin ended up following his man up the pitch and got a score himself and set up a few more. They have so many players now that are comfortable contributing to the attack that it makes it very difficult to stop them."

THE SUCCESS of the underage system in Tyrone would suggest they are set to dominate the landscape for several years to come, which is bad news for other Division One sides locked within the Ulster championship framework, let alone those counties with All-Ireland ambitions. They have replaced Kerry as the clear favourites for this year's title and so far, they have dealt with that expectation smoothly.

It could be that right now, at their best, Tyrone are all but unbeatable. The one chink of hope for other contenders is that sooner or later, the supreme vintage that came through in the 1997/'98 minor teams will reach the natural end of their time as peak intercounty footballers. Sooner or later, Tyrone will have to think about replacing those who have been central to their All-Ireland successes.

"It is only then we will see how it spins," says Cassidy. "And whether the coaching system extends the kind of form they have shown or whether it came down to a generation of great players emerging from the county at the same time."
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

Would worry about Kildare's half forward line. None of them are good defenders - probably facing the best attacking  half back line of the modern era. While Sweeney and Co are all good going forward- wouldn't be so confident if the ball is turned over.
Dublin at the start of the year nearly beat Tyrone by dominating the middle third in the 2nd half. With Hughes back though Tyrone obviously havde a better midfield in that day. But for Kildare to beat Tyrone they must win 65% posession at midfield - anything less and Tyrone will win. But with Earley its the one area they could do well. Then again having watched Tyrone snuff out Mc keever- I'd even have reservations about that.

Aaron Boone

Maybe forgotten men like Dermot Carlin & Raymond Mulgrew will get a run-out.
Colm Cavanagh no way for this Sunday, he's had too many chances.

orangeman

Quote from: clarshack on July 31, 2009, 11:51:31 PM
damian mccaul was in the squad the last day after a lengthy lay off but isnt in the subs for sunday. is he injured again? i recall he scored a great point against meath at the same stage 2 years ago.

I seem to recall Damian had seen little if any action that year and was sprung for the game against Meath. He was one of our better performers that day, scoring a good point and making some good forays forward.

Never heard about him being injured again.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 01, 2009, 01:25:36 PM

He must play very well for Moy, as he has never impressed me anytime he has appeared for the county team.  Harte obviously sees something in him !

tyroneboi

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 01, 2009, 01:25:36 PM

It's not really the time of year to be given forgotten men like the ones you mention a run out. It will be the tried and trusted subs that will be used but please God Colm Cavanagh will not be one of them. Has plenty of enthusiasm but don't think he offers as much as other subs.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2009, 12:00:31 PM
Would worry about Kildare's half forward line. None of them are good defenders - probably facing the best attacking  half back line of the modern era. While Sweeney and Co are all good going forward- wouldn't be so confident if the ball is turned over.
Dublin at the start of the year nearly beat Tyrone by dominating the middle third in the 2nd half. With Hughes back though Tyrone obviously havde a better midfield in that day. But for Kildare to beat Tyrone they must win 65% posession at midfield - anything less and Tyrone will win. But with Earley its the one area they could do well. Then again having watched Tyrone snuff out Mc keever- I'd even have reservations about that.

Half-forward line is a concern alright Indy. If the Tyrone half-back line are allowed to bomb forward at will than they'll destroy us. I'd expect Kavanagh to switch with Éamonn Callaghan early on. Kavanagh played his best football against Wexford and Laois closer to goal and Callaghan has plenty of experience in defence so he'll be more effective tracking back. Paudie O'Neill has played very deep all year and he's hugely physical. He's excellent at dispossessing backs coming out with the ball but he lacks pace and that would be a worry up against someone like Philip Jordan. Roli Sweeney was caught out badly for Barry Cahill's goal in the LF and he has to be more alert to his defensive duties tomorrow. He will have a height advantage over whoever is marking him though so hopefully he will be effective under the kickouts.

moysider

In Spain at the moment and wondering where I might be able to see the games. Used to have RTE in the house here until last year but apparently the systen was completely cowboy and the whole thing collapsed. Local pubs, including Paddy pubs, did nt have tonights game and gettin anxious about tomorrow and Monday. I m close enough to Alicante or even Benidorm if anybody knows a pub that would have them. Name of the street would be great as I could throw it on the Garmin.

Eastern_Pride

I think the one worry with kildare is their full back line as they were destroyed by alright full forwards agin Wicklow. As long as Dermot Earley can get the better of Cavanagh I think Kildare can sneak this. Kildare to win by 2 points
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

tyssam5

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 01, 2009, 09:51:55 PM
I think the one worry with kildare is their full back line as they were destroyed by alright full forwards agin Wicklow. As long as Dermot Earley can get the better of Cavanagh I think Kildare can sneak this. Kildare to win by 2 points

He'll out catch him maybe, but will he follow all his runs? Also I heard from a source that McGinley is ready to go, so we can expect to see him in action if needed!!

Sandy Hill

"Stercus accidit"