Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 03, 2009, 08:39:42 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2009, 08:14:51 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on August 03, 2009, 08:11:23 PM
Quote from: paddypastit on August 03, 2009, 07:26:52 PM
Was at the match with my Dublin born and bred brother in law. In the after match conversation there were two points made.  Firstly no-one under 16 in Dublin has a memory of Dublin winning an AI.  Secondly one lad had a story of a 12/13 year old in Dublin this summer giving up soccer to play rugby following on from the Leinster and Ireland successes in that code this year.  Put the two together and all those that are crowing about Dublin's defeat may find that a weak Dublin weakens the GAA as a whole because that is where the big marketing bucks are attracted to the game and without them (the bucks) the game will stuggle to get support long term.  The national pot is only so small and with professional and Government backed (i.e. Olympic) sports being the ones that are getting the dosh, this is not about Dublin for Dublin's benefit

Also I think that Dublin need to introduce a "three foreigners" type rule for their club sides. I wonder how many teams have a lad originallz from down the country playing at full back, and maybe a good young Minor or U-21 not getting an opportunity to play Senior football.

I've said that for years  but what does that mean for guy who is from Donegal or Mayo? Is he going to drive 300 miles per weekend to play?
I doubt it. I proposed a draft system. Whereby the weakest club gets the best players- which would mean amore even county championship. But as usual these things fall on deaf ears.
If I was a Dub my attitude would be that's not our problem.  I know we all want as many people involved and playing football/hurling but when it f**ks up your underage system and chances of success...

Listen I agree with you but we didn't get to a position today by chance. We got their through years of gobshites at county board level. I could write an almanac of underage players kept out by foreign stars. But the DCB have sat on thier hands for years on this.

Bogball XV

how would a draft system work?  The present system is grand, if the young lads are good enough they'll find a place for them.  Look at Crokes, they had very few non dubs playing.
As for the dubs, they're not that far off the mark, they've as good a set of forwards as anyone in Ireland (when they get ball into them), their problem today was (amongst other things) workrate, they've got to realise that they need to work their bollox off, they were wondering around there today in a daze, when they trailed by 1.3 to 0, they accepted defeat, that's ridiculous, there was 5/6 minutes gone ffs!!  Then Brogan goes for goal when an easy point is on after 12 mins, Murphy was almost shown up once again, but managed to get a hand to it (as he should for a speculative shot from that distance).

It was easy for Kerry to raise themselves for this one today though, everyone wrote them off, given their previous performances you couldn't give them a chance in this one.  But finally it all clicked for them, for probably the first time since Galway last year, (Galway didn't bother defending against them either).  They may not be able to raise the level to that again and I've been impressed by Mayo this year, this could be their year to finally overcome the Kingdom - if it's Meath they play, it'd be hard to avoid another Kerry final appearance.
Repeat of the '89 final then, Mayo v Cork, but this time Mayo will come through and John O'Mahony will have a dail seat for life!

StGallsGAA

Quotethe likes of Canty, Lynch, Murphy et al deserve an All Ireland

Can you explain that one?  Unless you somehow deserve an AI for being outside the top 3 teams in the country for a decade I have no idea what you are on about?

tyroneman

Kerry were never as bad as Sligo and the Qualifers suggested. They are not as good as today would suggest either. Next game will be more of a barometre. Parallels with Tyrone last year are (unfortunately) almost identical.

Good to see Pat back to his OTT best..before the game he talked about there possibly being one last kick from this Kerry team but that was it...they won't win the AI this year....

After the game: ML - Pat - can Kerry win the AI?  Pat - Yes

Joe takes the biscuit however with his line about Dublin being just a confidence building session for the big teams

INDIANA

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 03, 2009, 08:52:40 PM
how would a draft system work?  The present system is grand, if the young lads are good enough they'll find a place for them.  Look at Crokes, they had very few non dubs playing.
As for the dubs, they're not that far off the mark, they've as good a set of forwards as anyone in Ireland (when they get ball into them), their problem today was (amongst other things) workrate, they've got to realise that they need to work their bollox off, they were wondering around there today in a daze, when they trailed by 1.3 to 0, they accepted defeat, that's ridiculous, there was 5/6 minutes gone ffs!!  Then Brogan goes for goal when an easy point is on after 12 mins, Murphy was almost shown up once again, but managed to get a hand to it (as he should for a speculative shot from that distance).

It was easy for Kerry to raise themselves for this one today though, everyone wrote them off, given their previous performances you couldn't give them a chance in this one.  But finally it all clicked for them, for probably the first time since Galway last year, (Galway didn't bother defending against them either).  They may not be able to raise the level to that again and I've been impressed by Mayo this year, this could be their year to finally overcome the Kingdom - if it's Meath they play, it'd be hard to avoid another Kerry final appearance.
Repeat of the '89 final then, Mayo v Cork, but this time Mayo will come through and John O'Mahony will have a dail seat for life!

You don't realise a lot of these guys are being paid. If a club is paying a player he will play regardless of how good any underage player is. Vincents don't pay anybody- we're financially broke and we've a shortage of players anyway. But some of ther other clubs have no excuse as regards the numbers of players they have.

We're way off the mark mate in terms of being at that level. Haven't beaten anybody since 1995 of top 4 material. Thats hardly a legacy that lends itself to success.

Zulu

Anyone happy with today's result, outside of a Kerry person, is a short sighted fool. I'm just back in from trhe match and I haven't been as disappointed with a result in a long time.

nobackdoor

The best thing that could happen for Mayo football is a one point defeat to Meath. In this scenario, Mayo people will then be able to avoid their biannual public humiliation at the hands of Kerry. Mayo r about 15 players short of a good team. As one of the previous posters said, the most important part of the body is the top 2 inches, and Mayo are fatally flawed in this area.

Even a cursory look at the facts indicates that Mayo r miles away from competing at the highest level. They beat Galway by a point whose subsequent conquerors were annihalted by Cork.

Dream on, and keep the Sawdoctors "to win just once" on the turntable
The backdoor has ruined it

5 Sams

Looking forward to Liam Hayes next Sunday ::)
The Aristocrat Years

Mid Down Gael

Great to see Paddy Heaney in the Irish News gettin it so wrong again. He continually critises this amazing Kerry team. How dare he with the record this team has set with all ireland simi final and final appearances. A wonderful display.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 08:03:20 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 03, 2009, 07:27:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2009, 07:22:39 PM
Arguably the second best team in history. Four titles this decade, potentially six finals in a row. Not bad for such a poor Kerry side!

Thanks, so Tyrone are the best, since they've (Kerry) a 100% failure rate against them!  ;D :D

Using your logic Mayo are therefore a better team than Tyrone since they knocked them out twice in the last 5 years.

Mayo has a 50% ratio against ourselves (knocked us out in 2004, that's once, not twice), and a 0% ratio against Kerry, against whom we've a 100% ratio. What part of the word 'logic' do you not understand?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2009, 08:57:33 PM

You don't realise a lot of these guys are being paid. If a club is paying a player he will play regardless of how good any underage player is. Vincents don't pay anybody- we're financially broke and we've a shortage of players anyway. But some of ther other clubs have no excuse as regards the numbers of players they have.

We're way off the mark mate in terms of being at that level. Haven't beaten anybody since 1995 of top 4 material. Thats hardly a legacy that lends itself to success.

I accept there are rumours that certain top players are paid, but how many are in reality?  Crokes for example, whilst possibly having a name for that in the past had a largely home grown squad last year, same with Vincents the previous year.
If young lads are good enough they'll get playing time somewhere, if they have to play football at a lower level until they make the break through, is that such a problem?  You've plenty of top players throughout the country who don't play senior club football in their county.

As for Dublin not beating top 4 sides, who is to say just who the top 4 are?  I'm flummoxed on it anyway, any of them can beat each other, what I don't understand is how dublin could give up in the same manner that Donegal did yesterday?  After all they've been through since the season began, to sit back after ten minutes and say "feck it these lot are pretty handy, can't see us beating them" is inexcusable.  

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2009, 08:58:33 PM
Anyone happy with today's result, outside of a Kerry person, is a short sighted fool. I'm just back in from trhe match and I haven't been as disappointed with a result in a long time.

I expected three cracking quarter finals this weekend, I was disgusted with Donegal yesterday, but, there was always the possibility that would happen, but today's match was utterly deflating.  I'm sick of seeing Kerry in all ireland finals, truly sick of it.  If it's them and Cork again, I might give it a miss (although this Cork aren't the same as the past few, that's what we thought about Dublin too).

oakleafgael

The match was a non event after 10 minutes. I had the Dubs down as contenders although was always worried about their backs considering the high scores they conceded previously. I hope that not the last we see of Shane Ryan as it would be a poor way to bow out.

Diet Coke

The Dubs should try the back door system next year....they need regular games.........I certainly wouldn't write them off just yet, after all Kerry were written off after Longford and Sligo and Antrim.

Also hope it's not the last we've seen of Whelan and Ryan.....a good rest and they'll be back.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 27, 2009, 05:15:18 PM
I think Jack O'Connor would be well served switching Tommy Walsh and Declan O'Sullivan next Monday. Alan Smith had Denis Bastic in a lot of trouble in the Leinster Final before the ball going in dried up in the second half, I think Declan O'Sullivan could do likewise. He started off his Kerry career as a full forward and played there for Coláiste na Sceilge. Playing Walsh in on the edge of the square will suit Bastic and play into Dublin's hands. Putting Walsh out on the forty will also test Bryan Cullen by putting him on the back foot - something Kildare failed to do to our cost.

I've a feeling Kerry could finally click into gear on Monday. Should be a cracker.

Send on the cheque Jack boy!  ;D

Awesome display of football from the Kingdom. Well worth the €35 to watch that live. Cheered me up no end after yesterday's result.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 03, 2009, 09:11:49 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2009, 08:57:33 PM

I accept there are rumours that certain top players are paid, but how many are in reality?  Crokes for example, whilst possibly having a name for that in the past had a largely home grown squad last year, same with Vincents the previous year.
If young lads are good enough they'll get playing time somewhere, if they have to play football at a lower level until they make the break through, is that such a problem?  You've plenty of top players throughout the country who don't play senior club football in their county.

As for Dublin not beating top 4 sides, who is to say just who the top 4 are?  I'm flummoxed on it anyway, any of them can beat each other, what I don't understand is how dublin could give up in the same manner that Donegal did yesterday?  After all they've been through since the season began, to sit back after ten minutes and say "feck it these lot are pretty handy, can't see us beating them" is inexcusable.  

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2009, 08:58:33 PM

I expected three cracking quarter finals this weekend, I was disgusted with Donegal yesterday, but, there was always the possibility that would happen, but today's match was utterly deflating.  I'm sick of seeing Kerry in all ireland finals, truly sick of it.  If it's them and Cork again, I might give it a miss (although this Cork aren't the same as the past few, that's what we thought about Dublin too).

Its mediocre country players that are the problem. look this may be difficult to appreciate but in Dublin outside players ususally get picked. Thats the way it is. Seen it in my own club. In detriment to better home grown  players. Hone grown player gets pissed off and ends up being lost to the game. Happens every year.
Even some mediocre country players in div2 get paid thats how bad it is in dublin- some of them five figure sums.

Dublin haven't beaten any of Kerry, Tyrone, Armagh, Mayo etc in the championship for years. 15 years of underachievement is not chance its a pattern of failure. With the amount of clubs and resources its a disgrace.
But its not one thing that is the issue - its a lot of things. And ALL have to be fixed before we can get back to challenge the likes of Kerry. the Gaa doesn't need any one county. Its up to us to dig ourselves out of the shit that we ourselves have created.