Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

orangeman

Zapatista

After Dublins loss to Tyrone last year there were many fans saying the didn't want Dublin to win Leinster this year. Would any still be of that opinion today?

goldenyears

Draw with kerry to come thru in replay. This kerry team looks out on its feet, some of the older guard looks finished and they look so susceptible to pace attacking them right thru the middle, which no doubt dublin have, but beware the wounded animal.

There is so much class and ability in this kerry team and I fully expect them to rise up in croker!

heffo

Quote from: goldenyears on July 31, 2009, 08:34:58 PM

There is so much class and ability in this kerry team and I fully expect them to rise up in croker!

That's the key point - Dublin are in a good streak of form, but regardless of form, Kerry have the medals to show they can do it when required.

I'm going for Dubs but won't be gobsmacked by 4pm on Monday if Kerry turn it on - I just can't see them winning midfield though..

ziggysego

I've been saying Dublin all week, but something tells me now that Kerry's season is about to turn and they're going to come out with all guns blazing on Monday. Kerry to take this game, which is disappointing I say.
Testing Accessibility

comethekingdom

I'd be pessimistic enough about our chances to be honest. The last 1/4 against antrim was very positive but we'd need to play that for the full 70 agin Dublin. Hopefully we have turned the corner. Paul Galvin has been a real leader in the last two games. Mike Mac has been a very worthwhile recruit. The absence of a consistent freetaker is a concern as we will need to convert every possible opportunity against the Dubs into scores. One of the positives for Dublin this year is the absence of Pillar. (Whats the betting the tv cameras pick him out on duty at Croker on Monday?!)

Frank Casey

Heart say, head say - this one is impossible to know one way or the other. BUT if Kerry are close with 10 mins to go who knows?

I think we are in for a roller coaster
KERRY 3:7

comethekingdom

what price a draw? Banty will surely be told if its close to blow it up and another big payday for the chiefs in Jones rd!

Frank Casey

I'm telling ye - second pair of jocks.
KERRY 3:7

comethekingdom

15/2 with Paddy P. Will you be puttin a few euros on it Frank?

Hound

Quote from: comethekingdom on July 31, 2009, 10:56:58 PM
what price a draw? Banty will surely be told if its close to blow it up and another big payday for the chiefs in Jones rd!
Bear in mind there's extra time if its level (as with all the quarter-finals), meaning a replay is less likely.

Hound

Quote from: Zapatista on July 31, 2009, 08:30:19 PM
After Dublins loss to Tyrone last year there were many fans saying the didn't want Dublin to win Leinster this year. Would any still be of that opinion today?
I don't think its a case that Dublin wanted to lose in Leinster, but its probably been felt that winning Leinster has been doing us more harm than good in recent years. What we really wanted was a team or two to step up to the plate and put it up to us. Personally I would certainly have preferred to lose to Kildare by 1 point, than beat them by 10+, but beating them in a close game was first preference!

But its hard to know whether the Leinster final was two good teams playing in a good game, or two mediocre teams making each other look good because of their leaky defences. But whatever you say both teams' forwards kicked points very well - every Kildare forward scored at least 2 from play, which is quite the achievement (also that means every Dub back let his opponent score twice!!).

At the end of the day, the bald facts are that Dublin have won 3 games of real significance that I can remember in the last 14 years - which is ridiculous for a team with reasonably talented players (and by "real significance" I mean playing against a team who could potentially beat us in a game that if we lose, we're out).

I think if this Dublin team played this Kerry team 10 times, we'd win around 4 times, so going in with lots of hope rather than lots of confidence.

bcarrier

I have a feeling Galvin will get sent off.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on August 01, 2009, 07:30:04 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 31, 2009, 08:30:19 PM
I don't think its a case that Dublin wanted to lose in Leinster, but its probably been felt that winning Leinster has been doing us more harm than good in recent years. What we really wanted was a team or two to step up to the plate and put it up to us. Personally I would certainly have preferred to lose to Kildare by 1 point, than beat them by 10+, but beating them in a close game was first preference!

But its hard to know whether the Leinster final was two good teams playing in a good game, or two mediocre teams making each other look good because of their leaky defences. But whatever you say both teams' forwards kicked points very well - every Kildare forward scored at least 2 from play, which is quite the achievement (also that means every Dub back let his opponent score twice!!).

At the end of the day, the bald facts are that Dublin have won 3 games of real significance that I can remember in the last 14 years - which is ridiculous for a team with reasonably talented players (and by "real significance" I mean playing against a team who could potentially beat us in a game that if we lose, we're out).

I think if this Dublin team played this Kerry team 10 times, we'd win around 4 times, so going in with lots of hope rather than lots of confidence.

The only good thing about the Leinster final was that with 14 men we manged to win the game against a reasonably good outfit. To be honest we will know the value of the Leinster final after the kildare v tyrone match tomorrow. I was more confident last week then I am now. If Bernard is held- I think we might struggle a bit.