Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 28, 2009, 04:56:00 PM
nrico - so if Tyrone have such great footballers etc how come they are nowhere near as consistent as Kerry, have less titles and get beaten by the likes of Laois/Mayo etc

A death, a series of horrific injuries, just might have something to do with it. Or do you think it a total coincidence that when we're at our strongest in any given year (2003, 2005 & 2008) we haven't been beaten (or beaten only once in the Ulster but have won SAM)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ross4life

ok how is everyone doing ticket wise? seems to be sold out on ticketmaster already, even though i'm going for the Minor i'm looking forward to what should be another classic dubs v kerry game, & ohh i was there when Kerry were beaten 15pts by Meath in 2001 (bit of a omen?)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

red hander

Quote from: guevara on July 28, 2009, 04:10:49 PM
Donaghy was on the Kerry panel from 05 & starting for them by 2006 at Full Forward were he announced himself against Armagh.
He was 23 years old & had been latecomer to the panel as his previous allegiance was with Tralee in the Basketball.
And no I didnt just go to uni with few Tyrone boys I played against a lot of them from 12/13 right up so I think I would have an idea of what they were like.
I agree Tyrone play as a team with a set system that gets the best out of players.
Kerry on other hand play off the cuff at times & rely on the pure ability of guys like Cooper, O'Sullivan etc to try & win them games.
How many of the Tyrone team were playing for their county at 18/19???

Tyrone have always been loath to throw boys in at that age, no matter their ability (with a few exceptions, 'God' obviously)... like I say, nothing to do with ability

nrico2006

Quotenrico - so if Tyrone have such great footballers etc how come they are nowhere near as consistent as Kerry, have less titles and get beaten by the likes of Laois/Mayo etc

Dubsforsam, I honestly didn't think you were stupid enough to ask me that question with serious intent, then I saw your profile name and realised maybe you could be.  You mention Laois and Mayo as if they are some low level football side - Laois won a few Leinster's earlier this decade and were seen as a capable side while Mayo beat the mighty Dubs in Croke Park and have reached 2 All Ireland Finals and been to the latter stages regularly.  But in the years in question its common knowledge that Tyrone have had serious factors going against them in 2004 their captain passed away and I am sure this shifted the focus from football to the more important things in life while in 2006 the Tyrone side available to be put out for the championship was a shadow of the side that had won the All Ireland the previous September.  Consistency is one thing but throw in the route a team from Munster has to the latter stages of an All Ireland final with that of a team from Ulster and you will see that one path is a little easier, and again that's common knowledge.  You question why Tyrone have less titles than Kerry considering how great the Tyrone players are - I feel that its a stretch to far even for the Tyrone players to play long enough to equal Kerry's total.  But you never know  ;)
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zapatista

Quote from: ross4life on July 28, 2009, 05:17:08 PM
ok how is everyone doing ticket wise? seems to be sold out on ticketmaster already, even though i'm going for the Minor i'm looking forward to what should be another classic dubs v kerry game, & ohh i was there when Kerry were beaten 15pts by Meath in 2001 (bit of a omen?)

Sorted, it'll be my first time on The Hill for a Dublin game. Not sure if I should wear my Tyrone jersey :D?

Main Street

Has anyone mentioned Tyrone yet....

tyssam5

Quote from: blanketattack on July 28, 2009, 11:55:00 AM
Marc Ó Sé is likely to be suspended.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=115609
The video is pretty conclusive so the suspension is pretty certain.

I will stunned if this happens.

Would be a big blow for Kerry, not like O'Se (Marc that is!) to give some-one a smack, but it seems he did, so he should do the time if we are dealing with an impartial system.

ross4life

Quote from: Main Street on July 28, 2009, 05:28:11 PM
Has anyone mentioned Tyrone yet....

ok i will......

Tyrone With an area of 3,155 square kilometres (1,218 square miles) Tyrone is the seventh largest of Ireland's 32 counties in area and eighth largest in terms of population[3]. It is the second largest of Ulster's 9 counties in size and fourth largest in terms of population

The name Tyrone is derived from the Irish: Tír Eoghain meaning "land of Eógan". This Eógan was son of king Niall of the Nine Hostages, and brother of Conall Gulban, who gave his name to the kingdom of Tír Chonaill

how's that :P
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

imtommygunn

Did O'Se not smack someone against Cork last year? Seems Tomas got less dirty with age and he's getting mroe dirty..

This is a fascinating tie. I only wish the feckers had put it on at a time I'm not working.

Walsh vs Bastick will be very interesting. Bastick will put it up to him physically. I'd still expect him to get roasted though. Hard to know who'll win midfield as they're both average enough with Dara having put on the pounds.

It'll be interesting to see who marks Gooch. I'd imagine David Henry. Pady Andrews is probably someone Kerry could exploit. Cahill against Galvin should be an excellent match up.

Dublin can be exposed at 3, 4 and 6 however Kerry could be exposed at 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7... (Well I don't think Bonner will expose them though). Dublin need players like Bastick and Connolly to stand up and be counted to win this. If Marc O'Se is there I'd expect him to maybe pick up Brogan.(Bernard) McCarthy may pick up Alan I'd say.

Both defenses are most likely ropy enough so it'll be high scoring I think. Dublin have less prolific forwards so I expect them to need ~60% possession to win it. I do think they'll get this though...

SuperDooperCooper

Really depressing to go on the thread and read about Tyrone!!!
Maybe there was something in Tomas set dancing comments!!!
Marc would be a massive loss - county board shocked by this.
Marc was stood on at the start of the second half and reacted, looked at it online and saw nothing.
Not sure if more conclusive shots available.
Again no problem with these suspensions as long as there are applied consistently.
This will disrupt the build up at any rate.
On the game itself it is hard to see up putting up a big eneough score to win on current form.
I would expect Reidy to start in place of Griffen if Marc plays.

johnpower

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2009, 09:17:37 PM
Did O'Se not smack someone against Cork last year? Seems Tomas got less dirty with age and he's getting mroe dirty..

This is a fascinating tie. I only wish the feckers had put it on at a time I'm not working.

Walsh vs Bastick will be very interesting. Bastick will put it up to him physically. I'd still expect him to get roasted though. Hard to know who'll win midfield as they're both average enough with Dara having put on the pounds.

It'll be interesting to see who marks Gooch. I'd imagine David Henry. Pady Andrews is probably someone Kerry could exploit. Cahill against Galvin should be an excellent match up.

Dublin can be exposed at 3, 4 and 6 however Kerry could be exposed at 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7... (Well I don't think Bonner will expose them though). Dublin need players like Bastick and Connolly to stand up and be counted to win this. If Marc O'Se is there I'd expect him to maybe pick up Brogan.(Bernard) McCarthy may pick up Alan I'd say.

Both defenses are most likely ropy enough so it'll be high scoring I think. Dublin have less prolific forwards so I expect them to need ~60% possession to win it. I do think they'll get this though...

I agree both defences are ropey . Midfield will be key . Kerry have to be aware the quick kickouts that Dublin used effectively against Kildare . Kerry were quite poor the last day againts Antrim .I am not sure how good Antrim are but they really put it up to Kerry for 65 minutes or so .The Dubs will be a big step up .

imtommygunn

Being from antrim I have to say it's tough reading how poor kerry were.

Antrim are actually a good side this year and with the right draw would have gone further.(anyone aside from kerry really though kildare may have been too much)

Dublin have had a good test already though Kerry had against Cork too.

Like I said - two poor defenses.

Forward wise Sherlock can be held though and Connolly and Bonner wouldn't be a massive threat so Dubs need big games from Keaney and two Brogan''s. Keaney has been quiet enough of late.

Darren O'Sullivan needs to trouble the scoreboard more for Kerry or they're in a similar boat though Gooch, O'Sullivan and Galvin should trouble it enough.

All in all I don't see a clear cut winner here but I would expect dublin to be physically more powerful all in all and have a better team-work about them. Dublin 1-15 Kerry 0-16...

Actually I'd be surprised if both teams didn't goal. Dublin 1-15 Kerry 1-13.

ONeill

I think, and buying into the Jackeen hype I know, that the Dubs could give Kerry a whipping here.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stibhan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2009, 11:21:35 PM
Being from antrim I have to say it's tough reading how poor kerry were.

Antrim are actually a good side this year and with the right draw would have gone further.(anyone aside from kerry really though kildare may have been too much)

Couldn't have got Kildare anyway. I think Donegal would have probably have been a wounded animal though.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 28, 2009, 05:26:07 PM
Quotenrico - so if Tyrone have such great footballers etc how come they are nowhere near as consistent as Kerry, have less titles and get beaten by the likes of Laois/Mayo etc

Dubsforsam, I honestly didn't think you were stupid enough to ask me that question with serious intent, then I saw your profile name and realised maybe you could be.  You mention Laois and Mayo as if they are some low level football side - Laois won a few Leinster's earlier this decade and were seen as a capable side while Mayo beat the mighty Dubs in Croke Park and have reached 2 All Ireland Finals and been to the latter stages regularly.  But in the years in question its common knowledge that Tyrone have had serious factors going against them in 2004 their captain passed away and I am sure this shifted the focus from football to the more important things in life while in 2006 the Tyrone side available to be put out for the championship was a shadow of the side that had won the All Ireland the previous September.  Consistency is one thing but throw in the route a team from Munster has to the latter stages of an All Ireland final with that of a team from Ulster and you will see that one path is a little easier, and again that's common knowledge.  You question why Tyrone have less titles than Kerry considering how great the Tyrone players are - I feel that its a stretch to far even for the Tyrone players to play long enough to equal Kerry's total.  But you never know  ;)

Nrico - Resorting to personal abuse is a sign your losing the arguement.....Have Kerry lost to anyone at the level of Laois/Mayo (in fact they absolutely destroyed Mayo in the All-Ireland)...They have lost to Tyrone that is effectively it. Yes you lost your captain in 04 and that was a massive loss I agree but Kerry have suffered massive retirements and losing players also and still made finals/semi-finals....I was asking why over the last decade why they have less and been far less consistent....What your saying is that Tyrone need to have everyone available to win it seems...