Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 04, 2009, 04:16:43 PM
Sorry you are right, doh! Was thinking of Dublin there  ::)

Still all the same worst performance by any province in recent years.

So what have Mayo done in recent years?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Frank Casey

With all due respect to Mayo, we've beaten ye enough of times in Croke Park in recent decades (honourable exception 1996 semi). Can ye let Meath win please as we owe them a trimming for the 2001 semi.

And we are not cocky or anything at all ;)
KERRY 3:7

stephenite

Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

Sweet feck all, nada, nothing etc.

Ross4life-I don't buy into looking back into the archives to gain some insight into stats, we've not beaten Meath since 1951, fair enough. It has the sum total of feck all to do with this year.
Kerry are different, in that it can be argued that some of our current players could be mentally scarred by recent traumas on the big day, but the only player that was there in 1996 was James Nallen and he's too wise to let that get to him, and whilst he's an important panel member I don't think he'll play any part

muppet

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 05, 2009, 12:32:46 AM
With all due respect to Mayo, we've beaten ye enough of times in Croke Park in recent decades (honourable exception 1996 semi). Can ye let Meath win please as we owe them a trimming for the 2001 semi.

I was thinking about that today. I wonder how many of the Meath players will fancy playing Kerry knowing they will be up for it even more than against Dublin because of the 2001 semi?
MWWSI 2017

Frank Casey

Quote from: muppet on August 05, 2009, 12:40:53 AM
Quote from: Frank Casey on August 05, 2009, 12:32:46 AM

I was thinking about that today. I wonder how many of the Meath players will fancy playing Kerry knowing they will be up for it even more than against Dublin because of the 2001 semi?

One of the worst days ever at the office. Would love a payback.
KERRY 3:7

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2009, 12:26:58 AM

That has to be taken in the context of my origional repy, which was Jomohan! saying Connacht was the weakest province, I was basing the fact that Leinster as a whole has been so long since All-Ireland victories & finalists and less so than Connacht in recent years, also its inferior record against outside opposition in Championship, its inferrior league record and number of teams winning, in finals or in division 1 over recent years. It is clear Leinster has been the weakest province over the last 5-8 maybe 10 years.

ross4life

Dublin last two quarter finals defeats reminds me of 1993/94 Mayo & leitrim semi final defeats when connaught was the weakest province!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2009, 01:42:10 AM
Dublin last two quarter finals defeats reminds me of 1993/94 Mayo & leitrim semi final defeats when connaught was the weakest province!

Ya we where awful, nearly as bad as Leinster is now.

whitey

Forget about 1996-what about the 1988 semi final. That was complete robbery!

Me on me first trip up to the big Shmoke almost of drinking age, loaded, roaring and shouting. I think I lost my voice for a month

McHale scored a perfectly legit goal and the ref disallowed it for square ball (me arse). I think we would have won if it had stood

(note feeble attempt to distract myself from the pain of 1996)

muppet

Quote from: whitey on August 05, 2009, 03:01:45 AM
Forget about 1996-what about the 1988 semi final. That was complete robbery!

Me on me first trip up to the big Shmoke almost of drinking age, loaded, roaring and shouting. I think I lost my voice for a month

McHale scored a perfectly legit goal and the ref disallowed it for square ball (me arse). I think we would have won if it had stood

(note feeble attempt to distract myself from the pain of 1996)

That goal would have turned a 10 point lead into a 1 point lead. However taking off the green and red tinted glasses McHale, when interviewed afterwards, admitted that it was probably a square ball.

As for Frank Casey, sorry we owe them even more than you do. Ye'll just have to hammer us as usual in the semi.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Bray will be a huge loss to Meath , but so will B Moran to Mayo - for keeping the pressure off O'Se if nothing else.

On paper you'd say Mayo should win but Meath are on a winning run now and will relish getting back to Croker. I have to say, I don't know that much about meath really. They have been pretty poor the past few years depsite having a few decent enough players - Sheridan, Ward, Bray. I think that we will be more motivated by the sight of the Meath jersey than they will be the sight of the Mayo jersey - if we can manage the favorites tag, we should be able to win by 2/3 points. Another handy passage to the final for Kerry either way!

Dublin's performance yesterday isn't reflective of the strength of Leinster football, they are much better than that but the nerves obviously just got to them. There were 4 Leinster teams in the Q/Fs. On the other hand, Sligo (missed penno) and Galway (only 6 days to recover after losing the Connacht final) can consider themselves unlucky not to be there too.

In reality, Cork, Tyrone and Kerry are well ahead of the rest. In so much as Dublin were very poor yesterday, Kerry were also unreal and would have destroyed either Tyrone or Cork based on their games the day before.

That said, I think Kerry have peaked and IMO, the winners of Cork/Tyrone will be bringing home Sam this year.

Chef

Hello all,

Long time lurker, I've enjoyed the banter over the years here and the helpful info provided by the dedicated Gaels out there. I had to jump in, couldn't resist now that we face Meath once again in the championship. My first trip to Croker was in '88 as an 11 year old, memory is a little hazy but can remember leaving early with the old man to beat the crowd home as Meath pulled ahead. Little did I know at the time that this would become a common occurrence for the Mayo supporter for the next 2 decades.
Well, for the first time, I think that Mayo have finally turned a corner and look like a team with a bit of bite in them instead of the gun-ho chancers that have been traveling to Dublin for the past 17 years. A lot of work has been done at underage level since '96 that's starting to bear fruit and I think the introduction of JOM was the right move. We finally have someone in charge who has 'been there and done that', someone who can install a belief and confidence in the team, something that has been missing from Mayo management for many years.

I think that this team is on a learning curve and is improving with each game, unfortunately, there haven't been enough to get a proper run going. But I feel that Meath should provide a good warm-up for the Kerry game, and barring a complete disaster, we should come through this one on Sunday. My only concern is Meath's slow pace as shown in their last 2 games, which if repeated, will not be appropriate preparation before going up against Kerry. Hopefully they will come out all gun's blazing and put it up to us as I feel that is what we need if we are to have any chance against Kerry.

I predict a scoreline of Mayo 2-14 Meath 0-12, all going well; a close first half with Mayo pulling ahead in the second half.

There, I said it !

JMohan

If he's been reported for striking with the fist he's definitely gone

AbbeySider

Quote from: Chef on August 05, 2009, 06:52:41 AM
Hello all,

Long time lurker, I've enjoyed the banter over the years here and the helpful info provided by the dedicated Gaels out there. I had to jump in, couldn't resist now that we face Meath once again in the championship. My first trip to Croker was in '88 as an 11 year old, memory is a little hazy but can remember leaving early with the old man to beat the crowd home as Meath pulled ahead. Little did I know at the time that this would become a common occurrence for the Mayo supporter for the next 2 decades.
Well, for the first time, I think that Mayo have finally turned a corner and look like a team with a bit of bite in them instead of the gun-ho chancers that have been traveling to Dublin for the past 17 years. A lot of work has been done at underage level since '96 that's starting to bear fruit and I think the introduction of JOM was the right move. We finally have someone in charge who has 'been there and done that', someone who can install a belief and confidence in the team, something that has been missing from Mayo management for many years.

I think that this team is on a learning curve and is improving with each game, unfortunately, there haven't been enough to get a proper run going. But I feel that Meath should provide a good warm-up for the Kerry game, and barring a complete disaster, we should come through this one on Sunday. My only concern is Meath's slow pace as shown in their last 2 games, which if repeated, will not be appropriate preparation before going up against Kerry. Hopefully they will come out all gun's blazing and put it up to us as I feel that is what we need if we are to have any chance against Kerry.

I predict a scoreline of Mayo 2-14 Meath 0-12, all going well; a close first half with Mayo pulling ahead in the second half.

There, I said it !

Hope ur right Chef! Welcome to the board!

AZOffaly

I was at a Wedding in the Tullamore Court there on Saturday, and the Mayo team were staying around for a weekend. Johnno went off to Portlaoise to see Meath and Limerick, but the rest of the players didn't even look at the game. They were all strolling around the hotel as it was going on. In fact only Ronan McGarritty and James Nallen sauntered in to take a look in injury time, when the whistle blew they strolled out again.

They all looked very fit, relaxed and focussed in fairness. A big enough team as well.