Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 04, 2009, 04:26:38 AM
Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:15:20 AM
This won't go down well - but it's my honest opinion ...

I think Meath are an average team

Mayo should beat them ... with a struggle

Connacht football is not at the same standard as Leinster, Munster or Ulster football and I expect when Mayo meet a good team like Kerry/Cork/Tyrone .... even a Kildare or Dublin ... Mayo (Galway even) will get stuffed

Connacht people will find that their football is behind the rest of the country

Are you sure you have not confused the words Leinster & Connacht, ha ha when will the boys over in the backlands of the East & the Medja realise that its not Connacht football that is miles behind but Leinster, no All-Ireland Finalist since 2001, no Winner since 1995, & feck all Semis in the last decade WOW  ::)

You might have a point - however I still couldn't see Mayo or Galway beating Kildare, Dublin or say for certain either would beat Wicklow on a Championship Sunday

Barney

Maybe Mayo will get beaten by Meath.

If we win, another thrashing might be in the offing for us against Kerry.

But don't be writing off Connacht Football. Mayo and Galway are both Division 1 teams. Minor championships for Galway and Ros in past 3 years, Mayo coming close. Good showings at under 21 level. I think both would compete with Kildare and Dublin and have no doubt that they would beat Wicklow.

JMohan

Quote from: Barney on August 04, 2009, 08:36:10 AM

But don't be writing off Connacht Football. Mayo and Galway are both Division 1 teams. Minor championships for Galway and Ros in past 3 years, Mayo coming close. Good showings at under 21 level. I think both would compete with Kildare and Dublin and have no doubt that they would beat Wicklow.
Bullsh!t

Was waiting for the old league comment ...

League position, wins or promotion mean Sweet FA when championship comes around

Tubberman

QuotePosted by: JMohan 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Barney on Today at 08:36:10 AM

Bullsh!t

What are you getting so worked up about? And why did you start this Leinster/Connacht debate in the first place?
Personally, I can't see why you are so adamant that the best of Leinster (Dublin & Kildare) are stronger than the best of Connacht. The stats have been laid out for you - no Leinster team has been in a final since 2001. The Dubs haven't beaten a team of any significance outside Leinster in years. Kildare are an improving side, but again, haven't beaten any of the big teams.
Mayo, while losing in 2004 and 2006, have beaten some of the 'top' teams and actually made it to the final on a couple of occasions.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JMohan

Quote from: Tubberman on August 04, 2009, 09:02:17 AM
QuotePosted by: JMohan 
Insert Quote

Bullsh!t

What are you getting so worked up about? And why did you start this Leinster/Connacht debate in the first place?
Personally, I can't see why you are so adamant that the best of Leinster (Dublin & Kildare) are stronger than the best of Connacht. The stats have been laid out for you - no Leinster team has been in a final since 2001. The Dubs haven't beaten a team of any significance outside Leinster in years. Kildare are an improving side, but again, haven't beaten any of the big teams.
Mayo, while losing in 2004 and 2006, have beaten some of the 'top' teams and actually made it to the final on a couple of occasions.

I'm not worked up at all ... I'm just laughing at the pointlessness of this match coming up next weekend!

Tubberman

QuotePosted on: Today at 09:15:38 AMPosted by: JMohan 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Tubberman on Today at 09:02:17 AM
Posted by: JMohan 
Insert Quote

Bullsh!t

I'm not worked up at all ... I'm just laughing at the pointlessness of this match coming up next weekend!

Or maybe a bit bored at work and decided to try to wind up the Mayo lads??  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

9th Aug 2009
Mayo 1/2 v Meath 9/4 Draw 15/2
Outright Betting   
Kerry  6/4  Tyrone  6/4  Cork  7/2  Mayo  10/1  Meath  33/1

Updated odds from Paddy Powers.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

IolarCoisCuain

Nonsense Barney. Mayo would of course beat Dublin and Kildare. Pick a best XV between either of them and tell me who comes out on top. No tipping of the forelock here.

And I don't see another thrashing on the horizon. At all. I do see the players being distracted by Kerry and thus leaving themselves vulnerable to a sucker punch from Meath on Sunday. That seems a big danger to me, right now. Concerned about who'll replace Barry Moran too.

JMohan

Na, I'm just being honest with my opinion.
I don't think I'll ever see a Mayo team win an All Ireland in my life time.
Galway will win one long before them - it's just a psychological thing - I think Galway have a different attitude when they get to Croker with decent teams.
Mayo always flatter to deceive, have supporters that get carried away with expectations and believe the players and team is better than it is and don't have the hard edge needed to win.  

In fairness before I'm accused of being anti-Mayo - there's plenty of counties like that - counties who look at league success and think they've done enough to win an AI. But I just think Mayo haven't got it.

RogerMilla

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on July 25, 2009, 04:27:18 AM
Year of the REVENGE

Beat Meath in the Quarter Final (1996)
Beat Kerry in the Semi-Final (1997, 2004, 2006)
Beat Cork in the Final (1989)

Jack O'Connor doesn't know real pain

Keep Bitter keep Winning  ;)

you can incude that semi where corkery tore us apart as well , 93 ? shocking day

RedandGreenSniper

JMohan I can see why you are saying what you are saying. But this Mayo team has a bit more gumption than other years. We would beat Wicklow come what may. Play like we can and we'd beat Kildare too. Before the weekend I would have said a toss of the coin with Dublin, now I'd reassess and think we'd win that as well.

I can imagine the whole country seeing the Kerry game and saying that Mayo will be shitting it. I'm heard it inside the county too. But I don't think that will be anything like the mood in the squad. As I said there's something different about them this year. A unity of purpose to use an O'Mahony buzz phrase!
I think we will beat Meath. Kerry? Hard to say. But I don't see us wilting, I see us being competitive and then its a question of ability. If we're not good enough, then fair enough. But I think its remarkably premature to be saying Kerry are as good as in the final. We'll see.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

Indeed Barney, Meath could well hockey us. On the other hand we could give them a dose of what we handed out to Roscommon. Dublin were hopeless against Westmeath and stepped it up somewhat against Kildare. On the basis of that game, they were installed as big favourites against Kerry.
Not to be outdone, Kerry were totally inept in all their games up to yesterday and while I'm at it, Tyrone seemed to determined to disgrace themselves against Mayo last year before they stepped it up; as Kerry did yesterday.
Now, if anyone can draw a form line through all of this and claims that what's still to come will go according to form, I'd say he'd be either a brave man or a fool.
A brave man wouldn't even try..
Back about five to six years ago, we had a series of inexplicable dips in form from some of the major sides. Remember Kerry vs. Meath and then Meath in turn against Galway? You could include Mayo against Kerry in '04.
The young wan is a behavioural psychologist and doing pretty well at that sort of crap.
She came out and told me that the seesaw in form made sense. The players are only amateurs and still act and think like amateurs. They are being subjected to pressures from all sides to a degree unheard of before.  Worst of all, they're being subjected to all sorts of psychological tests and are given diet and training regimes to follow that mess up their ordinary life.
All of those who set the schedules and give the motivational talks wouldn't know what a clatter off David Brady or Francie Bellew feels like and can't really connect with what goes on out on the field. Video analysis, sez she, only serves to turn players into robots; they're being conditioned to act according to a preset formula and spontaneity and natural instincts fall by the wayside.
She further said that many of the players we were talking about back then will go on to develop severe emotional and psychological problems when they retire and are suddenly cut adrift from all those attempts to manipulate their bodies and minds.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: RogerMilla on August 04, 2009, 10:14:09 AM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on July 25, 2009, 04:27:18 AM
Year of the REVENGE

Beat Meath in the Quarter Final (1996)
Beat Kerry in the Semi-Final (1997, 2004, 2006)
Beat Cork in the Final (1989)

Jack O'Connor doesn't know real pain

Keep Bitter keep Winning  ;)

you can incude that semi where corkery tore us apart as well , 93 ? shocking day

& Nemo Rangers obliterating Castlebar Mitchells in the '94 Final a sure how about them doing Garrymore in '81 as well.

JMohan

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 04, 2009, 10:18:58 AM
JMohan I can see why you are saying what you are saying. But this Mayo team has a bit more gumption than other years. We would beat Wicklow come what may. Play like we can and we'd beat Kildare too. Before the weekend I would have said a toss of the coin with Dublin, now I'd reassess and think we'd win that as well.

I can imagine the whole country seeing the Kerry game and saying that Mayo will be shitting it. I'm heard it inside the county too. But I don't think that will be anything like the mood in the squad. As I said there's something different about them this year. A unity of purpose to use an O'Mahony buzz phrase!
I think we will beat Meath. Kerry? Hard to say. But I don't see us wilting, I see us being competitive and then its a question of ability. If we're not good enough, then fair enough. But I think its remarkably premature to be saying Kerry are as good as in the final. We'll see.

Fair play for not taking the post as stirring, because it wasn't meant as such.

I think the major plus for Mayo is JO'M - he can make a psychological difference.
I also think getting rid of CMcD was a major positive. While a decent individual player in his own right I thought overall he was more of a negative to Mayo progressing and wining as a team than a plus.
I think CM is in the same league - well I actually think he's a poor IC county footballer - and he's a distraction to the ruthless, focused culture and team ethic JO'M is trying to build IMO.

I don't think that Mayo would have beaten Kildare - I think mentally Kildare would have the upper hand - Wicklow I also think would have worn Mayo down in a dog fight. But both are mute points anyway I'll grant you that.

I think the best thing Mayo can do is scrape past Meath make sure they keep a low profile, put the favorites tag firmly on Kerry and make sure they get a big start and get the tactics right.
Remember - the Kerry midfield was up against nothing yesterday at the start, their full back line had NO defending to do and wasn't tested.
Mayo or Tyrone do that and they'll beat them .

But IMO the team to do that is not Mayo ... yet at least.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 10:11:37 AM
Na, I'm just being honest with my opinion.
I don't think I'll ever see a Mayo team win an All Ireland in my life time.

Tell us Joe - you strike me as a Joe - what age of a man are you? Do you take a drink at all? Are you aware of the price of twenty Carroll's? Do you ever go back to traveller camps of an evening and ask them if they're signing in more than one office or where they got those gates?

I'm not being personal now - I'd just like to know when I'll see Mayo win the All-Ireland. :d