Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Lads the late stages of the league and the Quarter Finals hints that we have made a lot of progress.

But we are not so good that we can take any Quarter Final for granted. I think we will do very well against all of the teams that we can possibly draw. Kerry, on a good day, would still be capable of tearing us to shreds at the back. But I do not see that happening. Kildare would be tough - and would be a toss of a coin game in many ways - we really don't know how good either team is bar at provincial level. Meath would be my choice - a good challenge, one that I would favour us to win, and erase some pain. Based on previous history in the county, and the way some supporters/players react to great results we would be better to gradually build through the games and a win over Kerry could set things off the richter scale!! However there is a maturity within the team, and a focus within the management that would make you hope that that can be avoided.

The other benefit of Meath is getting an extra week to prepare - Kilcoyne will need that time to be fit. Injuries aside I think you should be shocked if the team is not the same as the last day except for Vaughan coming in to the corner. Barry Moran will start - he was effective in the first - scored a goal and set up two points. What he does is not pretty, and some day he will outshine O'Shea but that is the game plan and it will not change.

Cosmo Kramer

At this point of the season, its all about peaking for the big games, but you want to time it just right. O'Mahony got this bang on with Galway in 2001, they were shite early in the year but exceptional when it really mattered. If we draw Kerry tomorrow, it puts big pressure on us to really peak for next weekend and so much focus will go onto that game. A bit like against Tyrone in 04, we're played great stuff that day, and never got close to that level afterwards against Fermanagh or Kerry. So, in my opinion, much better to draw a low key quarter final, and if we get over it, concentrate on really peaking for the semi-final and hopefully beyond.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Farrandeelin

It's Contae Mhaigh Eo not Maigh Eo. Mhaigh Eo is only used in the tuisil ginideach!!! ;)

Bring on Meath otherwise!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 25, 2009, 01:09:40 PM
It's Contae Mhaigh Eo not Maigh Eo. Mhaigh Eo is only used in the tuisil ginideach!!! ;)

>:( >:( >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2009, 01:51:58 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 25, 2009, 01:09:40 PM

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Sorry, but I'd just like to get revenge over the hoors over 1996.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ildanach

i was listening to radio 1 today to the galway v donegal game. mom said to john maughan that he had heard ciaran mc donald would be rejoining the mayo panel. maughan did not refute this claim but had said justbefore this that ciaran was flying in training. anyone hear anything?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ildanach on July 25, 2009, 09:33:18 PM
i was listening to radio 1 today to the galway v donegal game. mom said to john maughan that he had heard ciaran mc donald would be rejoining the mayo panel. maughan did not refute this claim but had said justbefore this that ciaran was flying in training. anyone hear anything?

I heard that comment as well, he just threw it into the conversation out of nowhere. At first I thought he was just talking crap, but the way they left it suggested they knew something. Kind of annoyed me because people have finally stopped talking about him and you'd hate to see it all kick off again if there's nothing in it.

Couldn't see a starting role for him at this stage, but our back-up in the half forward line (Ronaldson and Padden) is maybe a bit weaker than in other positions. I suppose he'd be some man to bring off the bench, but we've managed fine without him to this point.

A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 25, 2009, 09:44:41 PM

I heard that comment as well, he just threw it into the conversation out of nowhere. At first I thought he was just talking crap, but the way they left it suggested they knew something. Kind of annoyed me because people have finally stopped talking about him and you'd hate to see it all kick off again if there's nothing in it.

Couldn't see a starting role for him at this stage, but our back-up in the half forward line (Ronaldson and Padden) is maybe a bit weaker than in other positions. I suppose he'd be some man to bring off the bench, but we've managed fine without him to this point.

Heard it too. Just think he was being mischievious and hopping a ball. It s the second or third time in three weeks that he could stand accused of taking liberties with the truth, possibly, maybe.

I suppose it s not beyond the bounds of possibility.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on July 25, 2009, 10:50:19 PM

Heard it too. Just think he was being mischievious and hopping a ball. It s the second or third time in three weeks that he could stand accused of taking liberties with the truth, possibly, maybe.

Micheál shouldn't joke about something like this. It's torture. We've seen people writing here about either Conor or Kilcoyne in the corner - how about McDonald? Wouldn't he be able to do a job, if only for the last twenty minutes? I know he hasn't stayed in the corner in the past but Mayo weren't winning the kind of possession they have been winning when he'd come out looking for the ball. I would find it hard to imagine circumstances where he'd come back but his absence is definitely a loss.

Goin Down

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2009, 12:31:58 AM

Micheál shouldn't joke about something like this. It's torture. We've seen people writing here about either Conor or Kilcoyne in the corner - how about McDonald? Wouldn't he be able to do a job, if only for the last twenty minutes? I know he hasn't stayed in the corner in the past but Mayo weren't winning the kind of possession they have been winning when he'd come out looking for the ball. I would find it hard to imagine circumstances where he'd come back but his absence is definitely a loss.

Jaysus as soon as Mayo start doing relatively well without him the rumours would start flying! If he did come back though, it'd have possibilities of unsettling the camp, imagine how the lad who loses his place because he walks into the team would react! I'd agree though that it'd hardly be any harm if he came back and played off the bench, one hell of an effective sub i'd say! I'd like to see our team now though continue to progress this year as they have been!

With all the rumours in the past about his return though been untrue, I wouldn't take any heed of it until the source of the information is from the Mayo Camp!
And IF this was to be the year, he deserves a medal for all his past service, as does Nallen and Heaney for all their service past and present!
Remember This.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Goin Down on July 26, 2009, 01:13:16 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2009, 12:31:58 AM

Jaysus as soon as Mayo start doing relatively well without him the rumours would start flying! If he did come back though, it'd have possibilities of unsettling the camp, imagine how the lad who loses his place because he walks into the team would react! I'd agree though that it'd hardly be any harm if he came back and played off the bench, one hell of an effective sub i'd say! I'd like to see our team now though continue to progress this year as they have been!

With all the rumours in the past about his return though been untrue, I wouldn't take any heed of it until the source of the information is from the Mayo Camp!
And IF this was to be the year, he deserves a medal for all his past service, as does Nallen and Heaney for all their service past and present!

It can be done tho if for greater good of the team ... rem last year and Stephen O'Neill

Barney

There is absolutely zero chance I would reckon of this happening.

The manager has a very fixed game-plan in place which would just not suit McDonald, or the balance of the team. I could not see a manager of the experience of JOM taking that risk now.

What everybody remembers is 2006 against Dublin. We are 3 years down the line. Sadly McD is 3 years older and the chances of him making a sudden impact at this level without a season's training behind him is most unlikely.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Barney on July 26, 2009, 09:42:44 AM

The manager has a very fixed game-plan in place which would just not suit McDonald, or the balance of the team. I could not see a manager of the experience of JOM taking that risk now.

What everybody remembers is 2006 against Dublin. We are 3 years down the line. Sadly McD is 3 years older and the chances of him making a sudden impact at this level without a season's training behind him is most unlikely.

Absolutely agree. McD was one of our best ever but it would be a big step-up. Besides the last day against Ballina he could only play with the help of a knee support that looked more like a prosthetic (sp) leg. Also there is the unsettling effect it would have on the squad. Longrunsthefox mentions Stephen O'Neill. Like it or not lads there is a lot more baggage attached to McD and I'd have to think that most of the Mayo panel would be against this.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

No chance of MacD returning - even if he wanted to it's nothing O'Mahoney would even start to consider

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on July 26, 2009, 12:57:55 PM

No chance of MacD returning - even if he wanted to it's nothing O'Mahoney would even start to consider

sure he could barely walk 3 or 4 weeks ago if we get him  3/4 fit for cross we would be happy obviously J maughan trying to stir things and in fairness there is no need any one with a brain knows o' mahony wouldn't bring him back at this stage it would make no sense
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001