Minnows Laois lose out off the field aswell as on the field...

Started by Tankie, July 22, 2009, 11:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

QuoteLaois suffer sponsorship blow

The Laois jersey and the Heritage Hotel
22 July 2009

Laois are on the lookout for a new sponsor following the announcement by The Heritage Hotel that they won't be continuing their sponsorship.

The Heritage have sponsored the Laois football and hurling teams for the past five years, and are believed to have pumped more than EUR600,000 into Laois GAA in that time.

Finding a new sponsor could prove difficult for Laois GAA officials given the current economic climate and the alarming decline in the county's football fortunes over the past couple of years. But the hurlers offered hope for the future by coming within a whisker of shocking Limerick in last Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier a Thurles.

"The market isn't great out there. But we would remain confident that we will be able to get the right deal," said Laois secretary Niall Handy.

The Stradbally man added: "The Heritage were very good to us all throughout their sponsorship and we would like to put on record our thanks to them.

"Their five-year deal came to an end and they decided that they wouldn't be renewing."

The poorer counties like Laois could face a sqeeze when it comes to sponsporship now that times are tougher....
Grand Slam Saturday!

thebandit

Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 11:15:14 AM

22 July 2009

Laois are on the lookout for a new sponsor following the announcement by The Heritage Hotel that they won't be continuing their sponsorship.

The Heritage have sponsored the Laois football and hurling teams for the past five years, and are believed to have pumped more than EUR600,000 into Laois GAA in that time.

Finding a new sponsor could prove difficult for Laois GAA officials given the current economic climate and the alarming decline in the county's football fortunes over the past couple of years. But the hurlers offered hope for the future by coming within a whisker of shocking Limerick in last Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier a Thurles.

"The market isn't great out there. But we would remain confident that we will be able to get the right deal," said Laois secretary Niall Handy.

The Stradbally man added: "The Heritage were very good to us all throughout their sponsorship and we would like to put on record our thanks to them.

"Their five-year deal came to an end and they decided that they wouldn't be renewing."

The poorer counties like Laois could face a sqeeze when it comes to sponsporship now that times are tougher....

I thought the Dubs lost their sponsor recently.....

DUBSFORSAM1

Difference is they are going to get a new sponsor paying considerably more.

Tankie

Quote from: thebandit on July 22, 2009, 12:56:16 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 22, 2009, 11:15:14 AM

22 July 2009

I thought the Dubs lost their sponsor recently.....

AFAIK they were not lost and since Dublin aint minnows I cant see it being an issue getting another sponser...
Grand Slam Saturday!

heineken_on_tap

Thought Arnotts decided not to continue after this year.

Tankie

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on July 22, 2009, 01:04:22 PM
Thought Arnotts decided not to continue after this year.

Yes they did after they heard the price tag that the Dublin CB were asking for sponsorship..
Grand Slam Saturday!

Kerry Mike

Bisto the gravy maker, have just announced they will be one of the new sponsors of Dublin GAA.

As it browns, seasons and thickens in one, its just what is needed for the amount of scuttery shite that comes out of the Jackeens this time every year.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Puckoon

Strange that Dublin would rock the arnotts boat, that sponsor has been synonymous with Dublin football throughout my lifetime.

On what grounds can Dublin justify sticking the arm in for more money when having had every possible ammenity at their disposal they still havnt contested a national final in an age at senior level? If you're not setting the world alight, who may respond to out rageous sponsorship demands? It's a bit like Nottingham Forrest holding bill gates to ransom. Makes no sense to me.

Tankie

Quote from: Puckoon on July 22, 2009, 07:12:43 PM
Strange that Dublin would rock the arnotts boat, that sponsor has been synonymous with Dublin football throughout my lifetime.

On what grounds can Dublin justify sticking the arm in for more money when having had every possible ammenity at their disposal they still havnt contested a national final in an age at senior level? If you're not setting the world alight, who may respond to out rageous sponsorship demands? It's a bit like Nottingham Forrest holding bill gates to ransom. Makes no sense to me.

ohh the bitterness......its the weaker counties like Laois I worry about..
Grand Slam Saturday!

Puckoon

Surely I'd only be bitter if Dublin had turned us over tankie? Not since 95, so no I'm not bitter. Just wondering.

heffo

Quote from: Puckoon on July 22, 2009, 09:39:40 PM
Surely I'd only be bitter if Dublin had turned us over tankie? Not since 95, so no I'm not bitter. Just wondering.

Open any newspaper in Dublin between January and September and see how many pictures of Dublin jersies with the sponsors logo are in it - then re-think your question and think about what a sponsor wants..

Puckoon

Ok, then on the same token, why don't arnotts want this cash cow anymore?
Dublin and arnotts has been a relatively successful partnership (albeit not in recent years).

Gnevin

Quote from: Puckoon on July 23, 2009, 12:02:53 AM
Ok, then on the same token, why don't arnotts want this cash cow anymore?
Dublin and arnotts has been a relatively successful partnership (albeit not in recent years).

From a sponsors point of view playing in too August is a success. Dublin jerseys out sell soccer and Rugby jersey  across the capital, the sheer numbers are very impressive.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bud Wiser

Tankie,  I had a few questions to ask about the thread title in this post when you made it first but I said to meself I'll wait a while.

Can you tell me exactly how bad a team would have to be to become a "Minnow"

Quoteohh the bitterness......its the weaker counties like Laois I worry about..
QuoteFrom a sponsors point of view playing in too August is a success. Dublin jerseys out sell soccer and Rugby jersey  across the capital, the sheer numbers are very impressive.

There are 29 days left in August.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ONeill

He may have made a complete hash of the oul English and was telling us he has lost his dog Minno's leash in a field.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.