Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: The GAA on September 24, 2009, 05:52:54 PM
McNulty, Rafferty, McAlinden, murtagh, etc. all have their strengths but there is a fair understanding out there of their weaknesses too. Going on reputations i like o'rourke. his rep is of a tactically sharp and innovative coach ahead of his time - very like McGeeney. Those who rave about him don't cite weaknesses - there will always be some - but i'd rather go with someone like that who has the potential to be very good than an ordinary appointment seen as a "safe pair of hands".
Quelle suprise.   I dont see how it would be possible for to him to become manager so soon.  Half of the panel cant stand the man from what I can gather.  Last time I saw him manage he wasn't so clever looking UUJ v QUB, comprehensively outsmarted by McGuickan, maybe we should go for big adrain.

PatDaly

On a serious note i don't think McGrath is the right fit for armagh. He's regarded within the game now as being "old school" and past his time, as good as he was in his time. what was his backroom team for the down job?

McNulty, Rafferty, McAlinden, murtagh, etc. all have their strengths but there is a fair understanding out there of their weaknesses too. Going on reputations i like o'rourke. his rep is of a tactically sharp and innovative coach ahead of his time - very like McGeeney. Those who rave about him don't cite weaknesses - there will always be some - but i'd rather go with someone like that who has the potential to be very good than an ordinary appointment seen as a "safe pair of hands".

Pete McGrath's wealth of experience and Aidan O'Rourke's new modern approach would be a great combination for Armagh. I can't understand this parochial childishness being displayed by certain Armagh "supporters" just because McGrath is from Down. If the man is good enough which he is then there should be nothing stopping Armagh from appointing him after he's gone through the agreed process.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: PatDaly on September 24, 2009, 07:12:16 PM

On a serious note i don't think McGrath is the right fit for armagh. He's regarded within the game now as being "old school" and past his time, as good as he was in his time. what was his backroom team for the down job?

Pete McGrath's wealth of experience and Aidan O'Rourke's new modern approach would be a great combination for Armagh. I can't understand this parochial childishness being displayed by certain Armagh "supporters" just because McGrath is from Down. If the man is good enough which he is then there should be nothing stopping Armagh from appointing him after he's gone through the agreed process.
He's not good enough for Down but he's good enough for Armagh?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

PatDaly

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 24, 2009, 07:13:19 PM

Down may very well regret this decision in not appointing McGrath which could be compounded even more if McGrath became the new successful Armagh manager.

BroJolly

Personally, I wouldn't like Pete McGrath to be the Armagh manager. I think its naive to think that the only reason Armagh supporters wouldn't like him is because he's from Down. I wouldn't fancy Brian McEniff either but I've nothing against Donegal.

You would like to think that there is the potential to progress things under the new manager rather than hold the fort for a few years until a white knight appears

Does anyone know any sort of timeline for receiving new nominations, interviews etc?

stew

I will support whomever the board chooses to be the next manager however I dont want it to be a down man. McGrath is Down through and through and apart from that he has had less than a stellar career in the past 12 or so years, he has accomplished little in that time.

Down could have had him but they seem to think he is washed up and they went with caravan man and that tells me even they feel McGrath has nothing left in the tank.

If it were Mickey Harte we were talking about I would jump at it, the man is a tremendous manager at this moment in time, Pete was that soldier 15 year ago, no longer.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The GAA

Quote from: bennydorano on September 24, 2009, 07:11:12 PM
Quelle suprise.   I dont see how it would be possible for to him to become manager so soon.  Half of the panel cant stand the man from what I can gather.  Last time I saw him manage he wasn't so clever looking UUJ v QUB, comprehensively outsmarted by McGuickan, maybe we should go for big adrain.

Half the panel can't stand o'rourke? why's that?

Actually, McGuckin is a hell of a shout. There's a man with pedigree, experience and a progressive approach. You see what we can do if we put our heads together.

Trevor Hill

Why don't the Armagh county board just put an advert in the Newry Reporter, they are bound to get someone that way.

mountainboii

Quote from: Trevor Hill on September 24, 2009, 09:33:35 PM
Why don't the Armagh county board just put an advert in the Newry Reporter, they are bound to get someone that way.

That was funnier in your head, wasn't it?

norabeag

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 24, 2009, 07:13:19 PM

No you got that wrong. Not good enough for Down but too good for Armagh

Trevor Hill

It wasn't meant to be funny. Seems like no one wants the job. At least give Joe Public the chance to apply now that no of the big name candidates want it.
Pete McGrath is just hurting because he didn't get the Down job, he`ll see sense soon enough.

mountainboii

Trevor Hill

Quote from: AFS on September 24, 2009, 09:46:42 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on September 24, 2009, 09:45:19 PM
It wasn't meant to be funny.

Yes it was, and it wasn't.

Typical Armagh know it all who knows f*ck all, a bit like your county board really.  ;)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Trevor Hill on September 24, 2009, 09:51:53 PM
Quote from: AFS on September 24, 2009, 09:46:42 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on September 24, 2009, 09:45:19 PM
It wasn't meant to be funny.

Yes it was, and it wasn't.

Typical Armagh know it all who knows f*ck all, a bit like your county board really.  ;)
This is the second time you have tried to be funny in this thread and failed miserably.  Don't give up your day job
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Aghdavoyle

Lads, can we move on from the aidan o'rourke thing. he already has a management job for next year.