Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Leo on September 23, 2009, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2009, 05:01:25 PM
Mc Grath is overrated and won two all Irelands as a result of meeting a Meath team out on its feet after playing so many games in 1991, and a Charlie Redmond fluffed penalty in 1994.

He is long past his sell by date, particularly as far as the Armagh job is concerned.

The "whataboutery" and "ifs and buts" of some posters are just juvenile prattle. His record is impressive at schools, minor, U21 and senior county level. Every gaelic football game turns on little incidents - it is a very imperfect game and that's what makes it so compelling.
You could take every single Ulster and All-Ireland final of consequenec from the last 50 years and find an "if" here and a "but" there.

When will you get it into your thick head that it is only the final score that counts.
Pete was standing proudly at the final whistle in enough games to warrant a little respect. Having said that I don't think he is the man for this job.

Step forward Hoolie!

Houlie wont touch it now after being told he was going to be the man, after having a yarn with Grimley he decided to withdraw from the fray.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Armamike

Quote from: stew on September 23, 2009, 05:24:42 PM
Quote from: Leo on September 23, 2009, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2009, 05:01:25 PM
Mc Grath is overrated and won two all Irelands as a result of meeting a Meath team out on its feet after playing so many games in 1991, and a Charlie Redmond fluffed penalty in 1994.

He is long past his sell by date, particularly as far as the Armagh job is concerned.

The "whataboutery" and "ifs and buts" of some posters are just juvenile prattle. His record is impressive at schools, minor, U21 and senior county level. Every gaelic football game turns on little incidents - it is a very imperfect game and that's what makes it so compelling.
You could take every single Ulster and All-Ireland final of consequenec from the last 50 years and find an "if" here and a "but" there.

When will you get it into your thick head that it is only the final score that counts.
Pete was standing proudly at the final whistle in enough games to warrant a little respect. Having said that I don't think he is the man for this job.

Step forward Hoolie!

Houlie wont touch it now after being told he was going to be the man, after having a yarn with Grimley he decided to withdraw from the fray.

A very wise decision for all concerned.

Some of the posts here about McGrath are fairly petty. The man has a great track record in management, been successful at all levels.  He doesn't really have anything to prove. If he still has the passion and focus then he'd be a strong contender.  Personally i'd rather see someone from within the county who can instill a bit of passion back in the team.  Donal Murtagh probably.  By their own lofty standards Cross weren't doing that great for a few years until he came along. 

A couple of years from now the likes of Paul McShane or Brendan Hughes could look like very strong senior managers.  They both come across as focused, intelligent guys.
That's just, like your opinion man.

PatDaly

Comparing Ger Houlihan, Neil Smyth or Justin McNulty to Pete McGrath is similar to comparing Roy Keane to Martin O'Neill. Catch a grip McGrath by a long margin is the best candidate so far that has expressed interest in the Armagh management job.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: PatDaly on September 23, 2009, 09:59:37 PM
Comparing Ger Houlihan, Neil Smyth or Justin McNulty to Pete McGrath is similar to comparing Roy Keane to Martin O'Neill. Catch a grip McGrath by a long margin is the best candidate so far that has expressed interest in the Armagh management job.
I would rather have them then then Down's leftovers!

Lets have a bit of f**king pride!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

PatDaly, I would say the vast majority of supporters wouldn't want McGrath and why the hell would we?  Sure if we don't have a big name manager, what of it?  I would much rather see an Armagh man get the job even if it meant appointing someone with no experience at InterCounty level than McGrath.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

mountainboii

Quote from: PatDaly on September 23, 2009, 09:59:37 PM

Perhaps Kenny Dalglish would be a more apt comparison for McGrath. Someone who had it about 15 years ago, but has been left behind by the modern game.

Yes I Would

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 23, 2009, 08:27:22 AM
Did Marty McQuillan take Cullyhanna? Or who has he managed?

Super footballer...

Clady, done a stint with St Pats , and was part of U-21 set up quite a few years ago.
Some of you boys sound like the English supporters, and their refusal of any outside manager.. Look where all their internal short sighted patriotic appointments got them over the years.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Yes I Would on September 23, 2009, 10:24:14 PM

Super footballer...

Clady, done a stint with St Pats , and was part of U-21 set up quite a few years ago.
Some of you boys sound like the English supporters, and their refusal of any outside manager.. Look where all their internal short sighted patriotic appointments got them over the years.
What? Do you mean to tell me soccer supporters don't like outsiders?  ::)

I dont care if it's an outside manager, I probably wouldn't mind if he was from a rival county but I do mind that he's gone for a management job in his own county (which is in the shit heap), didn't get it and people think he's good enough for Armagh!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Yes I Would

Ill rephrase Englsih national soccer side, although id well believe that the emergence of foreign managers to the english game was frowned upon by the majority, 20 odd years ago (Im not old enough to remember the outcry).

Politics between individuals and county boards is much more critical in determining who gets a job rather than an individuals ability.
Surely Armagh supporters should see this with how the Grimley affair has been handled!!

lfdown2

Quote from: Donagh on September 22, 2009, 04:01:22 PM
He's a Down p***k living on past glories, we don't want him. As I said, alright for one of our underage teams, maybe the U16 or U14 development squads but with only two McKenna cups from '94-'02 to show for himself at senior level he'd be better off in Carlow or Kilkenny.

nice donagh!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Yes I Would on September 23, 2009, 10:24:14 PM

Super footballer...

Marty McQuillan's never actually been our manager though has had 2 stints as trainer.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: lfdown2 on September 24, 2009, 10:08:11 AM
Quote from: Donagh on September 22, 2009, 04:01:22 PM
He's a Down p***k living on past glories, we don't want him. As I said, alright for one of our underage teams, maybe the U16 or U14 development squads but with only two McKenna cups from '94-'02 to show for himself at senior level he'd be better off in Carlow or Kilkenny.

nice donagh!

I hope Pete gets the job. Hughie wont have to fork out too much for travelling expenses, in fact Pete isnt one for expenses and lets be honest about it there isnt a queue of experienced managers beating down the county boards door looking for the job.
Grimley, the ideal man for the job, showed where his true loyalties lie, not with Armagh, but lining his own pocket with a handy number in Monaghan, a team that has won nothing and will win nothing and I am surprised no one has mentioned future president of the GAA, Jarlath Burns for the job.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

illdecide

I'm not gonna name names for the post just as long as the best man is appointed, i don't care if he's from Down, Tyrone or Cork...i don't care if he's 30 years of age or if the mans 90 as long as he can get us back up to where we belong. If the County Board select McGrath then so be it and I'll be 100% behind him and we can judge him on results, the same applies to Justin McNulty or any other candidate but one thing's for sure we are gonna need someone that is strong minded and their own man who will take no shit from anyone. The players will respect a guy like this and it appears that was not the case in the last few years.

There are a lot of politics going on within the Armagh setup and all's not as straight forward as you think between the County Board and the sponsors and senior players but if the right man comes in and gets his assurances from the County Board that there'll be no interference's from ANYONE he will soon keep the players in line too when they know who's BOSS
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The GAA

I'm with id on this. the best man for the job should get it (but not a tyrone or down man)  :P

On a serious note i don't think McGrath is the right fit for armagh. He's regarded within the game now as being "old school" and past his time, as good as he was in his time. what was his backroom team for the down job?

McNulty, Rafferty, McAlinden, murtagh, etc. all have their strengths but there is a fair understanding out there of their weaknesses too. Going on reputations i like o'rourke. his rep is of a tactically sharp and innovative coach ahead of his time - very like McGeeney. Those who rave about him don't cite weaknesses - there will always be some - but i'd rather go with someone like that who has the potential to be very good than an ordinary appointment seen as a "safe pair of hands".

armaghniac

I don't think appointing a player as manager is ideal. It is fine for Geezer going to Kildare where he knows few of the players, but O'Rourke is coming from the squad.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B