Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: PatDaly on September 22, 2009, 08:18:24 PM
My point is that McGrath is usually a lucky manager and its the wee things that make all the difference in sport between winning and losing. As a reminder the following summary of success and experience is what Armagh will be missing out on if they pass up this opportunity to appoint McGrath as the new manager.

Part of the backroom team that helped guide St Colman's to two All-Ireland Colleges titles in 1986 and 1988, McGrath was also involved with Hogan Cup successes in 1993 and 1998 with the Newry secondary school.

He guided Down to only their second ever All-Ireland minor football title in 1987 and was appointed manager of the Down senior team in 1989. He enjoyed outstanding success in the early 90s, helping Down to memorable All-Ireland victories in 1991 and 1994 before finally stepping down as manager of the Mourne men after the 2002 championship.

But he's not good enough to manage Armagh ??? ??? ???
No, he's not

Down didn't think he was good enough to manage their senior team.  Did they?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Donagh

He wasn't too lucky in the Ulster Final '99.  :D

stew

Quote from: PatDaly on September 22, 2009, 08:18:24 PM
Quote from: fairplay on September 22, 2009, 06:38:37 PM
Quote from: PatDaly on September 22, 2009, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: Donagh on September 22, 2009, 01:33:45 PM
McGrath is an egoist with an abysmal record in charge of the Down seniors in the modern era. Sure they had to practically frog march him out the door. Maybe alright for the underage teams he shouldn't be let near a county senior team again. A passionate Down man, he's never shown anything other than contempt for Armagh. I for one would certainly reconsider attending any Armagh game with that man in charge.

What a stupid comment to make! Anyone with any knowledge of football knows that Pete McGrath is one of the most successful managers in GAA ever. He's the man that took the Down job when no-one else wanted it and led Down to 2 Sam Maguire titles within the next 4 years. The parallels with the current Armagh situation should not be lost on anyone. After 1994 when the Down team of that era started to age it wouldn't have made any difference who was in charge. McGrath had already got the most out of them. Armagh should pull out all the stops to get McGrath. He showed Brian McAlinden how to win an Ulster U21 title only 5 months ago and people on this board are calling for McAlinden to be the next Armagh manager. Get real!

So by your own logic the Cork U-21 Manager in turn showed McGrath how to win in the last minute.

My point is that McGrath is usually a lucky manager and its the wee things that make all the difference in sport between winning and losing. As a reminder the following summary of success and experience is what Armagh will be missing out on if they pass up this opportunity to appoint McGrath as the new manager.

Part of the backroom team that helped guide St Colman's to two All-Ireland Colleges titles in 1986 and 1988, McGrath was also involved with Hogan Cup successes in 1993 and 1998 with the Newry secondary school.

He guided Down to only their second ever All-Ireland minor football title in 1987 and was appointed manager of the Down senior team in 1989. He enjoyed outstanding success in the early 90s, helping Down to memorable All-Ireland victories in 1991 and 1994 before finally stepping down as manager of the Mourne men after the 2002 championship.

But he's not good enough to manage Armagh ??? ??? ???

He was good enough and he is certainly a long way better than some candidates that are getting mentioned right now however the fact remains his best days seem to be far behind him and also he is from Down, I never want to see a Down man manage Armagh, to me that is unthinkable.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: Donagh on September 22, 2009, 08:23:33 PM
He wasn't too lucky in the Ulster Final '99.  :D

Sure he was, he was lucky they wernt bate by twenty points that day.

And after that brilliant result, what did the Armagh managers do, brought that clampett from Louth in, upset the balance of the team and we end up throwing away an AI.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Orior on September 22, 2009, 07:55:20 PM
After all the shenanighans in the county, I think it has to be an outsider.

Is the current squad good enough to win the AI in 2010?

Maybe we need a "development" manager until Geezer becomes available.

Pete McGrath will do rightly. As Pat Daly said, Aidan O'R would be a good side-kick.

Then Geezer and Aidan in 2 years time.
Orior, with respect, Pete McGrath will not do rightly.  He is not up to the job. 

I would rather take a chance on the likes of Neil Smyth or Martin McQuillan with the likes of Oisin/Paul/Diarmuid involved than McGrath.  I dread to think where we would end up by the time he was finished, even after 1 year!

We can't count on Geezer ever being available for the position either. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

irunthev

The bigger question here is why is there such a lack of top class managerial talent available or interested in the job this time. Has Crossmaglen's dominance in Armagh damaged the managerial conveyor belt in the county for the immediate to mid-term future?

Sandy Hill

Quote from: BroJolly on September 22, 2009, 07:54:02 PM
I heard at the weekend that the only name that has actually been put forward for the job is Niel Smith?

Any truth in that?

Sincerely hope not; was talking to a reasonably prominent member of the Armagh Co Board the other day and he reckoned "no way", but then he is only one member and not one of the more influential ones.
"Stercus accidit"

mountainboii

Quote from: irunthev on September 22, 2009, 09:38:08 PM
The bigger question here is why is there such a lack of top class managerial talent available or interested in the job this time. Has Crossmaglen's dominance in Armagh damaged the managerial conveyor belt in the county for the immediate to mid-term future?

Not really. There are as many, if not more, good managers in Armagh as any county. For a multitude of reasons, the top 2 or 3 guys are unavailable so we're having to delve a bit deeper than we'd like.

Orior

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 22, 2009, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 22, 2009, 07:55:20 PM
After all the shenanighans in the county, I think it has to be an outsider.

Is the current squad good enough to win the AI in 2010?

Maybe we need a "development" manager until Geezer becomes available.

Pete McGrath will do rightly. As Pat Daly said, Aidan O'R would be a good side-kick.

Then Geezer and Aidan in 2 years time.
Orior, with respect, Pete McGrath will not do rightly.  He is not up to the job. 

I would rather take a chance on the likes of Neil Smyth or Martin McQuillan with the likes of Oisin/Paul/Diarmuid involved than McGrath.  I dread to think where we would end up by the time he was finished, even after 1 year!

We can't count on Geezer ever being available for the position either.

Yes, but them boys have no experience of managing county teams, or taking teams to finals in Croke Park.

We either get someone with experience, or we go for a charismatic rookie.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Goats Do Shave

Did Marty McQuillan take Cullyhanna? Or who has he managed?

Super footballer...

botman

Is the problem here that whoever takes the job is only keeping warm for a few years till McGenney or Grimley become available again or a good team who can challenge for an AI is available? That's certainly the vibe I'm getting.

Sure who in their right mind would want that job?

Keep them at it.

5 Sams

Wee Pete could be like one of Ian óg's policemen out in Libya if he got the job :D :D :D
The Aristocrat Years

naka

mc alinden /mc grane double act ;)
what are the bookies odds on this

rrhf

I think Mc Grath could the put the manners and no small measure  of self discipline into Armagh, and that would just be the supporters...

Leo

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2009, 05:01:25 PM
Mc Grath is overrated and won two all Irelands as a result of meeting a Meath team out on its feet after playing so many games in 1991, and a Charlie Redmond fluffed penalty in 1994.

He is long past his sell by date, particularly as far as the Armagh job is concerned.

The "whataboutery" and "ifs and buts" of some posters are just juvenile prattle. His record is impressive at schools, minor, U21 and senior county level. Every gaelic football game turns on little incidents - it is a very imperfect game and that's what makes it so compelling.
You could take every single Ulster and All-Ireland final of consequenec from the last 50 years and find an "if" here and a "but" there.

When will you get it into your thick head that it is only the final score that counts.
Pete was standing proudly at the final whistle in enough games to warrant a little respect. Having said that I don't think he is the man for this job.

Step forward Hoolie!
Fierce tame altogether