Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Sandy Hill

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 04, 2009, 06:00:14 PM
What is Smyth's management experience?

I think he was manager of Mullaghbawn for a year or two.
"Stercus accidit"

Onion Bag

since PG's decision to go with Monghan, i dont think we have anyone in the the county that could take it up and be successful, the names mentioned, Smyth, Mc Conville, Nc Nulty etc dont have the experience at this level, we should be looking for someone outside of the county e.g Mc Iver, Mc Eniff, guys of this Calibre who have been in intercounty setups and know the ropes. honestly dont think there is anyone in the county capable,

sorry i will rephrase that, there are a couple of men, but they are not willing to throw there hat into the ring, which is fair enough
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Real1995

yeah Neill managed Mullaghbawn for a few years......won the division one league in 2005 i think it was...
Nice guys always finish second!

3000 miles away

not one of them men have the credentials to take over a county squad, mc conville would have the best c.v and even he wouldn't be up to it, Mc Ivor and Tally are about the only 2 that would have the   proper make up to take it over, at least they might be fit under Tally.

armaghniac

If a significant number of clubs proposed Grimley, and he is not available, the further nominations should be sought.

Even Donal Murtagh may wish to reassess his availability!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on September 06, 2009, 11:08:11 PM
If a significant number of clubs proposed Grimley, and he is not available, the further nominations should be sought.

Donal has indicated he will step down from Cross.  I do not think that the other candidates are as good as him and the CB should request him to apply and then it is up to him to decide if hew wishes to or not.

Armamike

Outside the county, maybe the likes of McIvor or Charlie Mulgrew. But what we don't need is a 'has been' or journey man coming in.  A young up and coming manager like Justin McNulty mighn't be the worst case scenario. He's had some success already at club level and could bring a freshness and enthusiasm to the whole thing. The whole Paul Grimley saga has left a sour taste - too much focus on politics, egos, backbiting and money.  Somewhere along the line in Armagh we've forgot what's really important - i.e. the football. Get someone in with no baggage and agenda, who wants to do the job, for the good of the county and not themselves, and can get the best out of the best players we have.
That's just, like your opinion man.

yellowcard

What about the current Ogs manager Brendan Hughes? I'll admit I don't know an awful lot about him but he's been involved with the county minors before and has done what no other manager has achieved in Armagh for 14 years in beating Cross. Maybe some Ogs supporters could vouch for or against his credentials.

As someone said earlier all the great managers were untried at some point in their careers so the opportunity for a fresh start with an unheralded manager should not be ruled out.

Goats Do Shave

I think Justy might be a decent choice, however it'll be important that he gets the right people around him!

Logan

Eamon McEneaney has made himself available now!!!!
;D  ;D  ;D

man in black

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 08, 2009, 08:05:27 AM
I think Justy might be a decent choice, however it'll be important that he gets the right people around him!

I think he would be an excellent choice also. A lad that couldnt play football put in charge of a county going nowhere fast. A marriage made in heaven.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

The GAA

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 07, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 06, 2009, 11:08:11 PM

Donal has indicated he will step down from Cross.  I do not think that the other candidates are as good as him and the CB should request him to apply and then it is up to him to decide if hew wishes to or not.

The problem is that donal is not that highly regarded - particularly bu his own club players...

Armamike

Quote from: man in black on September 08, 2009, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on September 08, 2009, 08:05:27 AM

I think he would be an excellent choice also. A lad that couldnt play football put in charge of a county going nowhere fast. A marriage made in heaven.

Sounds like Micky Harte and Tyrone in 2002.
That's just, like your opinion man.

qz

Quote from: Armamike on September 03, 2009, 09:34:46 PM
The old chestnut thrown at Armagh supporters a couple of years back was the lack of new talent coming through. Since 2004 Armagh underage teams (minor and under 21) have been very competitive:

2004 Under 21 Ulster and AI winners
2005 Minor Ulster winners
2007 Under 21 Ulster winners (beat by Cork, AI winners by a point in the semis)
2009 Under 21 Ulster finalists; Under 18 Ulster winners and AI finalist

Reasons to be positive.

one underage all Ireland title in 50 yrs is hardly a sign of new talent coming through. You Armagh lads need to get real. What you're listing might win a provincial title or two but no more.
Look north to Tyrone where there are 8 minor/u 21 all irelands in the last 18 years  to deliver 3 sams. A minor win this year would be a step in the right direction but only a step.