Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: ONeill on July 21, 2009, 06:42:19 PM
Jody Gormley to take them back to division 4 and the revolution is complete.
Send them down to aughrim, that'll sort 'em
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Seany

Just a thought.  A fortnight ago, all these people were in the running for Armagh job

Brian McAlinden
Joe Kernan
Kieran McGeeney
John Rafferty
Paul Grimley
And more

As time moves on, most of the first four have ruled themselves out.  Justin McNulty has indicated he's interested, but he is untested at this level, Grimley has said nothing but the Kildare job is really his only source of income at the moment (I think) so i can't see him taking it.

Are we now in a worse position than if we had tried to convince PMcD to hang on to the job?  At least he knows the players, regardless of what some might say, he is not a bad manager and he was entitled to three years.  I think this whole thing happened too fast.  As time went on, e should be thankful that we went out to Monaghan by a point rather than suffer the Donegal hammering which would take a lot longer for theplayers to get over because it happened in the full glare of CP.
We all should have taken a break until about now before anyone moved and then just continued with Peter.
As it is now, we might end up with a yellow pack manager or someone very inexperienced.

JMohan

Quote from: Seany on August 08, 2009, 09:51:34 AM
Grimley has said nothing but the Kildare job is really his only source of income at the moment (I think) so i can't see him taking it.

He was also involved in Clontibtret in Monaghan and also with DCU

JMohan

IMO

Grimley will be the next manager

If he wasn't interested he'd have said so long ago, it will just come down to other issues and agreeing on expenses and who else he can bring in with him as a backroom team.
I think it's inevitable.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The GAA on August 06, 2009, 03:43:40 PM

Of his two years in aussie rules he spent 12 months of it out with a career threatening injury. They have nursed him back thru the vfl in the second half of this season and won't rush him into the firsts now. your sources are very wrong as he already has a pro contract on the table.

:o :o :o indiana wrong no way,  isn't he allways right ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

yellowcard

Quote from: The GAA on August 06, 2009, 03:43:40 PM

Of his two years in aussie rules he spent 12 months of it out with a career threatening injury. They have nursed him back thru the vfl in the second half of this season and won't rush him into the firsts now. your sources are very wrong as he already has a pro contract on the table.

Well, I suppose we'll not be seeing him in an Armagh jersey anytime soon so. How long of a contract was he offered?

naka

heard that "mc Grane" is the independant overseer in relation to the selection of a new manager

The GAA

He was bound to be. right man for it too.

armaghniac

Irish Times

GAVIN CUMMISKEY

WITH KIERAN McGeeney committing to Kildare for at least another season and Joe Kernan having already ruled himself out of the race to succeed Peter McDonnell as Armagh football manager, Paul Grimley has become the natural front-runner for the position.

The county board meet tonight to finalise a committee that will be charged with finding the best candidate. The executive will be joined by a club representative and an "independent overseer" to ensure the process runs smoothly after two disappointing campaigns under McDonnell, who initially saw off Grimley for the position in 2007.

Grimley, a highly-respected coach, was Kernan's assistant when they captured their only All-Ireland title in 2002 and went on to fill a similar role with Cavan before following McGeeney to Kildare as his assistant.

"Paul Grimley would certainly be considered if nominated," said Armagh chairman Kevin Brady yesterday.

Unlike other county recruitment processes, a candidate cannot be nominated without agreeing to it in the first place.

"Nomination forms have been prepared and the signature of the nominee is required," explained Brady.

"Joe Kernan has ruled himself out and Kieran McGeeney is not interested at this point in time as he wishes to fulfil his commitment to Kildare which has one year left."

Grimley also has another season to run with the Kildare management team but after three successive stints as a number two to an intercounty manager the opportunity to take charge in his native province would be considered.

"There has been no approach and I certainly haven't sought the job," said Grimley.

"I remain very much part of the Kildare set-up. I'd say I was certainly interested at some stage but whether it is an option now is questionable.

"It is well known that I went for the job two years ago and didn't get it. As far as I'm concerned it passed me by at that point."

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JMohan

So wonder when they foresee the whole thing being finished by? A 3 week job - or will this drag on for months?

Donnellys Hollow

I don't think anyone from Kildare would begrudge Paul Grimley the chance to manage Armagh. However, he does still seem to be bitter over what happened during the last selection process and that might give us some hope of hanging on to him. I'd be hopeful enough that Geezer might be able to convince him to stick with Kildare for another year. From talking to lads on the panel, he is very popular among the players and he'd be a big loss to the managerial set up by all accounts.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

full back

Quote from: armaghniac on August 12, 2009, 02:58:02 PM
"Joe Kernan has ruled himself out and Kieran McGeeney is not interested at this point in time as he wishes to fulfil his commitment to Kildare which has one year left."

Why mention this?
Will Geezer make himself available to the Armagh set-up after his tenure with Kildare is up?
Seems a bit strange for Brady to say this

mountainboii

Quote from: full back on August 12, 2009, 03:58:51 PM

Why mention this?
Will Geezer make himself available to the Armagh set-up after his tenure with Kildare is up?

Wouldn't read that much significance into it, its seems to be just an acknowledgment that McGeeney was off limits as he's well into a job elsewhere. Anyway, even if McGeeney does leave the Kildare job next year it would be hard to see him walking straight into the Armagh one, as whatever manager we appoint now will be around for at least a couple of years. Unless he comes back up to work under Grimley :)

full back

Quote from: AFS on August 12, 2009, 04:12:58 PM
Quote from: full back on August 12, 2009, 03:58:51 PM

Why mention this?

Wouldn't read that much significance into it, its seems to be just an acknowledgment that McGeeney was off limits as he's well into a job elsewhere. Anyway, even if McGeeney does leave the Kildare job next year it would be hard to see him walking straight into the Armagh one, as whatever manager we appoint now will be around for at least a couple of years. Unless he comes back up to work under Grimley :)

Or work with Grimley :o

Wouldnt put something like this past the CB, but I would like to think Geezer wouldnt be interested in that sort of arrangement

naka

rumour  and orchardcounty has it that 5 manselection panal is as follows
independent chair---Dr Eugene Young
ex-county player--Paul Mc Grane
Club Rep--- Gerard Davidson ( I think he is an og`s man)
county chair/secretary

nominations in by 28 August
clubs to nominate candidates and candidates must countersign the nomination form

have to say the county board are trying to be fair and open with this pocess