Previous topic - Next topic

Apple Crumble

Neil Smyth I tell ya!!!!

Grimley (Fergy)
Neil Smyth (Shankly)
John Toner (Mourhino)

Dream Team

thewanderer

why all the hysteria at the minute. i,m sure that mc grane and davidson will offer a lot to the selection panel and the clubs still have to ratify any manager before appointment. its a far better set-up than the last time hopefully.

BroJolly

With regards Grimley being asked, anyone who's name is put forward has to be asked before they can be nominated by a club?

Thing that would interest me would be the backroom team. Under JK, we had an exceptional back room team. There was a story of how CB helped finance John McCloskey to goto Australia for Rugby World cup to see how international teams trained. Under prevous back room staff, apparently there was a 10% discount for players on ice cream at a well known filling station in Armagh!

rootthemout

only 10%,tight git,but the rumour was if you had a bad game you got whipped and a decent game you got a poke! ;)

pearseog

the thing i dont get with the selection panel is who has the final say on the position.
if the selection panel put forward their candidate, does this have to go to a vote of club delegates? what happens if this is rejected? will the "2 choice" still want the job knowing he is not the man that was originally wanted?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: pearseog on August 15, 2009, 02:01:36 AM
the thing i dont get with the selection panel is who has the final say on the position.
if the selection panel put forward their candidate, does this have to go to a vote of club delegates? what happens if this is rejected? will the "2 choice" still want the job knowing he is not the man that was originally wanted?

Clubs have the final say I think. My take on the whole thing is that public opinion within the county will become so overwhelming during the process that any other credible candidate will withdraw at one stage or another leaving Grimley the only possible (and by far the most suitable) choice.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

PatDaly

Has the thought occurred to anyone that Geezer by himself won't be able to do half the job he's currently doing with Kildare if he no longer has Grimley as his right hand man? Surely this has crossed the minds of the lads in Kildare and could be a possible factor in Grimley staying put?

JMohan

I do. I suspect Grimley has had a bigger impact on Kildare's play than McGeeney, his experience as part of a management team and from the other side of the line would have been invaluable IMO

The GAA

McGeeney has had Grimley with him for two years so i'd say he has picked up what he needed to at this stage. It actually could be perfect for McGeeney as bringing in a new number two now could freshen his approach and that of the players. third year is always the most difficult for any management team after players become too used to them and the set up.

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on August 15, 2009, 10:54:21 AM

McGeeney has had Grimley with him for two years so i'd say he has picked up what he needed to at this stage. It actually could be perfect for McGeeney as bringing in a new number two now could freshen his approach and that of the players. third year is always the most difficult for any management team after players become too used to them and the set up.

I think Grimley would be a huge loss to Kildare- I also believe Grimley would be better off taking the Armagh job next time round. ie 2 years from now .

The GAA

That could possibly be true but i think armagh are ripe for progress now.
Next time round will be at least 3 years down the line.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 15, 2009, 10:56:14 AM

I think Grimley would be a huge loss to Kildare- I also believe Grimley would be better off taking the Armagh job next time round. ie 2 years from now .
I think he'd rather take them now than 2 years time when they're 2 years worse down the line

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on August 15, 2009, 12:52:38 PM

I think he'd rather take them now than 2 years time when they're 2 years worse down the line

I disagree the best footballers in Armagh are currently between 17-20 years of age. Maybe you're right he'd be better taking them now. But he will have to do a lot of bloodletting if he takes it- and I think that would be difficult for him to do personally due to past relationships.

Yes I Would

But thats when Big Joe has himself primed to come back as gaffer!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: INDIANA on August 15, 2009, 01:53:50 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 15, 2009, 12:52:38 PM

I disagree the best footballers in Armagh are currently between 17-20 years of age. Maybe you're right he'd be better taking them now. But he will have to do a lot of bloodletting if he takes it- and I think that would be difficult for him to do personally due to past relationships.

What blood letting? I'd say Enda McNulty and Aidan O'Rourke will go of their own violition over the winter. After that there's nobody else of an age where they don't still ahve a contribution to make. Stevie may consider quitting but if he doesn't he'll be well worth his place on the team next year. Marty O'Rourke may be under pressure for his place but you expect that. He'd still be useful to have in the squad. Its not as though 5 or 6 of the current minor team are going to be starting next year. Progress is a lot more gradual than that.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead