Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aoise

Quote from: Joxer on July 22, 2009, 11:44:38 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 22, 2009, 09:44:41 AM
What about Bumpy O'Hagan?. Managed the clans for 4 years and won the div 2 as they had been relegated the year b4, the following year took them to 2nd in the league behind Cross and got to the County final. He also won 2 North Armagh cups. He's currently manager of Glenswilly in Donegal and has improved them immensely and will be hoping for a Donegal senior championship this year.
He would be ideal for the job (although like Marsden is a bit young) and would take no nonsense from anyone nor would he be a "Yes man" to the County Board.

To tell you the truth, picking the next Armagh manager is not an easy task and i wouldn't like to be involved in it. There are too many men out there with average CV's who wouldn't be good for the team and all the best managers are in a job. Someone mentioned "Banty" earlier and he might be a good choice, he's very passinate and knows his football and he wouldn't have that far to travel.

LOL  Thats the best one I've heard in a long time.   Clans have more chance of winning the Armagh Championship that Glenswilly do of winning Donegal.   Ask anyone in Donegal about O'Hagan,  There is world war III going on in Glenswilly at the minute

How's he going down in Glenswilly then Joxer??? ;D

Joxer

Read today IN and you'll find out.. Have relations in that part of the world and they say it's a bit of a mess up there.

PatDaly

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/joe-kernan-never-say-never-14424797.html

Joe Kernan: Never say never!

Thursday, 23 July 2009

Where is the loneliest place in the world? Standing on the touchline as a manager when your team is engaged in a high-intensity championship battle.
Believe me, it is pressure personified — and it's one of the reasons why there is such a high turnover of county team bosses throughout the country as a whole.
Peter McDonnell, who has just stood down as Armagh manager after two years, will certainly not be the last managerial casualty of the summer.
The Mullaghbawn man has taken his leave in somewhat acrimonious circumstances — and the rumour mill is already fully operational in relation to the identity of his successor.
Peter brought honesty and dedication to the post but results of late did not go his way and he clearly felt he could not continue, given all the current circumstances.
County team management is now a 24/7, high-pressure, hugely demanding role — let no-one tell you differently. There is little doubt that others, after a period of reflection perhaps, will adopt the line Peter has taken simply because the demand for success can be almost overpowering.
Management requires massive self-sacrifice, a very single-minded approach — and particularly thick skin. The Armagh county board has already commenced a trawl for Peter's successor knowing that fans are anxious to see their team ascend the ladder to the top again. But patience is the prime requisite just now — and perhaps lots of it.
It's two years since I vacated the orchard county post and, having had the chance to see things from the outside as it were, I wonder how I managed to survive for so long simply because of the demands the post makes on you.
I remain Armagh's most fervent follower, of course — with fours sons in this year's squad that's hardly surprising, is it?
The two teams that matter most to me are my club Crossmaglen Rangers and my county Armagh and I have had the wonderful privilege of managing both of them and in the process working with some of the finest players of their generation.
Within the past 24 hours I have literally been bombarded with just one question — would you take over as Armagh manager again?
The answer to that at this point in time must be 'no'. I have just started a sports-orientated business which in the present harsh economic climate requires my full attention, I obviously have family commitments, I am busy with my media pursuits and I relish what little 'me' time there is after that!
And, let's be straight, there are other reasons why I would not exactly be jumping into a queue for the post. I am acutely aware that there are always bigots and jealous individuals keen to throw in their tuppenceworth and generally vent their jaundiced views. We have all experienced them, haven't we? Everyone has a right to an opinion, of course, as long as its balanced and fair.
Irrespective of family affiliations or other considerations, I have always done what I believed to have been in the best interests of my club and county when I was in charge.
Then there is the almost insatiable desire for success on the part of the fans. They pay good money to attend games and naturally expect positive results. But some tend to live in a dream world. Championship football tends to be like the Stock Market — past performance is no guarantee of future gains. A lot of effort can be expended with little return but that goes with the territory.
The quest for glory must always be tempered with the realisation that not all county teams are comprised of extremely gifted players.
Armagh face into a transitional period but the fact that a number of players from a talented Under 21 squad are beginning to come through at senior level coupled with the acquisition of the Ulster Minor title at the weekend certainly offers considerable hope for the future at senior level.
Whoever takes over at the Armagh helm will undoubtedly be afforded the chance to work with an enthusiastic, ambitious group of players all of whom are keen to do their county proud at whatever level they perform.
Bringing the best out of them will be the brief of Peter McDonnell's successor, whoever he may be. But never say never!

irunthev

Quote from: PatDaly on July 23, 2009, 04:41:30 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/joe-kernan-never-say-never-14424797.html

Joe Kernan: Never say never!

Thursday, 23 July 2009

Where is the loneliest place in the world? Standing on the touchline as a manager when your team is engaged in a high-intensity championship battle.
Believe me, it is pressure personified — and it's one of the reasons why there is such a high turnover of county team bosses throughout the country as a whole.
Peter McDonnell, who has just stood down as Armagh manager after two years, will certainly not be the last managerial casualty of the summer.
The Mullaghbawn man has taken his leave in somewhat acrimonious circumstances — and the rumour mill is already fully operational in relation to the identity of his successor.
Peter brought honesty and dedication to the post but results of late did not go his way and he clearly felt he could not continue, given all the current circumstances.
County team management is now a 24/7, high-pressure, hugely demanding role — let no-one tell you differently. There is little doubt that others, after a period of reflection perhaps, will adopt the line Peter has taken simply because the demand for success can be almost overpowering.
Management requires massive self-sacrifice, a very single-minded approach — and particularly thick skin. The Armagh county board has already commenced a trawl for Peter's successor knowing that fans are anxious to see their team ascend the ladder to the top again. But patience is the prime requisite just now — and perhaps lots of it.
It's two years since I vacated the orchard county post and, having had the chance to see things from the outside as it were, I wonder how I managed to survive for so long simply because of the demands the post makes on you.
I remain Armagh's most fervent follower, of course — with fours sons in this year's squad that's hardly surprising, is it?
The two teams that matter most to me are my club Crossmaglen Rangers and my county Armagh and I have had the wonderful privilege of managing both of them and in the process working with some of the finest players of their generation.
Within the past 24 hours I have literally been bombarded with just one question — would you take over as Armagh manager again?
The answer to that at this point in time must be 'no'. I have just started a sports-orientated business which in the present harsh economic climate requires my full attention, I obviously have family commitments, I am busy with my media pursuits and I relish what little 'me' time there is after that!
And, let's be straight, there are other reasons why I would not exactly be jumping into a queue for the post. I am acutely aware that there are always bigots and jealous individuals keen to throw in their tuppenceworth and generally vent their jaundiced views. We have all experienced them, haven't we? Everyone has a right to an opinion, of course, as long as its balanced and fair.
Irrespective of family affiliations or other considerations, I have always done what I believed to have been in the best interests of my club and county when I was in charge.
Then there is the almost insatiable desire for success on the part of the fans. They pay good money to attend games and naturally expect positive results. But some tend to live in a dream world. Championship football tends to be like the Stock Market — past performance is no guarantee of future gains. A lot of effort can be expended with little return but that goes with the territory.
The quest for glory must always be tempered with the realisation that not all county teams are comprised of extremely gifted players.
Armagh face into a transitional period but the fact that a number of players from a talented Under 21 squad are beginning to come through at senior level coupled with the acquisition of the Ulster Minor title at the weekend certainly offers considerable hope for the future at senior level.
Whoever takes over at the Armagh helm will undoubtedly be afforded the chance to work with an enthusiastic, ambitious group of players all of whom are keen to do their county proud at whatever level they perform.
Bringing the best out of them will be the brief of Peter McDonnell's successor, whoever he may be. But never say never!

et tu Brute....... this is better than Julius Ceasar

Goats Do Shave

According to Radio Ulster this morning, Joe Kernan has no intention of taking the Armagh job, for 2 reasons. His business commitments take up too much of his time, & the fact that he has 4 sons on the panel.

To be fair to big Joe, his back room team was top notch! - I hope whoever does take the job, is able to assemble a similarly strong coaching team.

On a side note, I think Peter McDonnell would have been a better #2 to someone like big Joe...

irunthev

Unfortunately for whoever takes over the Armagh job, if they don't win an All Ireland within a year then they will be regarded as a failure. This can be seen by the rumour mill that Damien Cassidy was quitting in Derry and that he wasn't up to the job, after less than 12 months in charge. The CB, if they intellectually capable of thinking in this manner,have to appoint someone with a three to five year remit to win an All Ireland and then give him the tools and the support to do so and they need to steadfastly stick to this plan, regardless of what the experts in the media may be preaching. After all, there isn't a guy working in the media who doesn't have some sort of an agenda or another. Alas few CB have that sort of vision, especially in counties where they feel they should be in AI semis each year. At the start of this decade, Armagh were blessed with a talented group of players who gained experience under the two Brians and then had the finishing touches applied by big Joe. That group is gone now and it is a brand new page, and as JK said past glory doesn't guarantee future success. The same will happen to Tyrone in years to come, as happened to Cavan  and Down in the past and even Kerry during the late 80s and early 90s.

Zapatista

Quote from: irunthev on July 23, 2009, 08:39:46 AM
Unfortunately for whoever takes over the Armagh job, if they don't win an All Ireland within a year then they will be regarded as a failure.

:o :o :o

Jaysus! I can understand being beat by Monaghan aet being seen as a failure but landing Sam is setting up for failure.

maddog

Quote from: irunthev on July 23, 2009, 08:39:46 AM
Unfortunately for whoever takes over the Armagh job, if they don't win an All Ireland within a year then they will be regarded as a failure.

Anyone that doesnt believe Armagh are a minimum 3 year project is in dream land. We want progress, and if the fans see that every year they will give a new manager a fair crack of the whip.

Orior

Loosing Dyas to Australia didnt help either.

Another view is that the next All-Ireland is 20-30 years away.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

full back

Quote from: Orior link=topic=13061.msg600637#msg600637 date=1248336054
b]Another view is that the next All-Ireland is 20-30 years away. [/b]

Dont know about that, but we can be sure it wont be in the next 3/4 years

maddog

Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2009, 09:00:54 AM

Ah well, at least its not light years

Orior

Quote from: maddog on July 23, 2009, 09:05:45 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2009, 09:00:54 AM

Ah well, at least its not light years

Fix up your avatar there doggie. Nice doggie. Good doggie.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zapatista

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 23, 2009, 09:18:07 AM

It's never the defeat but the manner and the context of it.  The way that the team were not prepared for a predictable Monaghan challenge which required physicality and fitness to survive. No team prepared in the previous 10 years would have allowed themselves to be bullied and bossed all over the field and no team would have been so unfit.  All aspects which lie with preparation both mentally and physically.

I don't undersand what your saying.

Zapatista

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 23, 2009, 09:25:57 AM
 Where does the belief and system come from?  The management.

I'd say a competetive County Champioship plays a big part in it. The price of success of Crossmaglen must be paid soewhere.

full back

Quote from: Zapatista on July 23, 2009, 09:39:25 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on July 23, 2009, 09:25:57 AM
 Where does the belief and system come from?  The management.

I'd say a competetive County Champioship plays a big part in it. The price of success of Crossmaglen must be paid soewhere.

Dont agree with this at all
When Armagh were winning plenty from 2000 on, Cross were the dominant force as they are now, so it hadnt any effect on the county team then, same as it hasnt any effect now IMHO