Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

really dont get the rafferty support, he is a blood and guts man give him 5/6 years to build up his experience, we need a guy to nuture talent coming through, ie i expect mc keown etc to join from cross together with some u-21s( we had the beating of down in the final this year)
would like grimley/mc alinden together .

jk is not the man at the moment  as i would like to see all his sons develop without any pressure from the supporters because of who they are

full back

Honestly dont believe Mc Alinden is the man for the job
His man mangement skills arent what they should be

PatDaly

Don't forget Armagh will play Kildare in division 2 of the 2010 league. Does anyone think Joe Kernan would set himself up as the new Armagh manager for a good hiding from Grimley and Geezer? I think nothing could be more satisfying from Grimley's perspective.

orangeman

Quote from: PatDaly on July 22, 2009, 04:54:12 PM
Don't forget Armagh will play Kildare in division 2 of the 2010 league. Does anyone think Joe Kernan would set himself up as the new Armagh manager for a good hiding from Grimley and Geezer? I think nothing could be more satisfying from Grimley's perspective.

Armagh would bate them.

stew

The statement about geezer being straightforward and not talking out of both sides of his mouth speaks volumes, I know there is no love lost between he and Geezer and Joe but I find it hard to believe that Grimley getting denied the Armagh job had nothing to do with big Joe.

I don't want Kernan anywhere near the Armagh job, thanks for the memories Joe but I would take Grimley over ye any day at this stage, how can you manage a team with 20% of the starting 15 being your sons? there would be too much percieved favourtism there and it could be valid.

We need to sort this shite out now, get the new man in place and support him and any man that is undermining the county team should be run from county football and club football for that matter, this has got to end.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

charlie stubbs

bumpy o hagan think thats a ridiculous idea. 
seems to be a difficult one with no stand out candidate. 

jk would have nothing to gain from coming back.  inherited a successful team from the brians, took armagh over the finish line a legend.  why would he come back to a team that needs rebuilt and tarnish his reputation.  added to the fact that now 4 of his sons are currently on the panel.

mcalinden as stated was in a similiar position. built a team from scratch, to be real contenders though couldnt get them over the line.  questions have been asked about man management skills.  would he come back again?

peter rafferty took the u21s to ai success is he the man to develop the current team?

john rafferty took st.galls to ai final in 06.  age and experience may be a factor?

justy mc nulty if not offered u21job, be difficult to see him getting the senior job?  Also connections with current players may not be good if what peter is saying is true. 

grimley.  would have to swallow alot of pride to take the job.  bound to be hurting after what happened the last time. 

geezer, the type of strong charachter that we need.  experience could be questioned? however, his desire, passion and attitude cannot.  will def manage armagh someday but i think he has a job to do at kildare and will follow this through. 

thanks peter for your time, commitment and ulster title.  the job was a thankless one trying to follow on from joe, never mind the controvosy surrounding the appointment.  however your downfall will be that after last years defeat to wexford you didnt learn from your mistakes.  the more attacking gameplan never materialised and 70 mins without a score from play isnt good enough no mtter who you are.  i hope whatever candidate is selected the cb use a fair appointment process and doesnt have to inherit the difficult situation peter appears to have

020304 Tir Eoghain

Lads just a question. From reading the last few pages, the impression given is that big Joe inherited a squad built by the 2 Brians, fine tuned it
and won the AI in 2002. Would Joe not be capable of building another squad himself, capable of competing & possibly winning another AI. I think
I read somewhere that Joe's biggest regret was in not winning a second title. would this not be the chance for him to prove himself once more?
OK it might go pear shaped for him, but then again it might not.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

stew

We are four to five years away from challenging for an AI title, we need to lose some of the old guard and inject some new blood into the team, we are short on pace and scoring forwards, we are reliant on two main men and that is not going to work in todays game, everyone needs to contribute.

Joe coming back would be a step in the wrong direction and would serve no purpose except to ensure his sons play a lot, we will not seriously compete for Sam for a few years yet so why would he come back to rebuild, it is hardly his M.O.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Yes I Would

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on July 22, 2009, 07:58:22 PM
Lads just a question. From reading the last few pages, the impression given is that big Joe inherited a squad built by the 2 Brians, fine tuned it
and won the AI in 2002. Would Joe not be capable of building another squad himself, capable of competing & possibly winning another AI. I think
I read somewhere that Joe's biggest regret was in not winning a second title. would this not be the chance for him to prove himself once more?

Big joe wont touch this with a barge pole at this stage. Too shrewd. Got out when he knew the good times were overe, with alot of the old warriors stepping aside, and thos that didnt had their best days behind them. In 2-3 years poss if progress is made, there is no doubt he will be back on board.
One thing for sure is that his pawmarks will be over the next appointment, although county board coffers might not be in great shape so high profile outsider might not be on.
Be hard to attract an inside man as well considering the politics invloved, and considering how Mc Donnell has been so quickly shafted!!

Joxer

Quote from: illdecide on July 22, 2009, 09:44:41 AM
What about Bumpy O'Hagan?. Managed the clans for 4 years and won the div 2 as they had been relegated the year b4, the following year took them to 2nd in the league behind Cross and got to the County final. He also won 2 North Armagh cups. He's currently manager of Glenswilly in Donegal and has improved them immensely and will be hoping for a Donegal senior championship this year.
He would be ideal for the job (although like Marsden is a bit young) and would take no nonsense from anyone nor would he be a "Yes man" to the County Board.

To tell you the truth, picking the next Armagh manager is not an easy task and i wouldn't like to be involved in it. There are too many men out there with average CV's who wouldn't be good for the team and all the best managers are in a job. Someone mentioned "Banty" earlier and he might be a good choice, he's very passinate and knows his football and he wouldn't have that far to travel.

LOL  Thats the best one I've heard in a long time.   Clans have more chance of winning the Armagh Championship that Glenswilly do of winning Donegal.   Ask anyone in Donegal about O'Hagan,  There is world war III going on in Glenswilly at the minute

orangeman

Joe has nothing to prove. Nothing to gain. All to lose.

Look at Jack O'Connor.

BroJolly

Sad to read coments about sabotage today. Don't know Peter, but he appears a man who is very genuine. Also, the back room guys are all Armagh through and through.
Can't understand some of the negativity around JK also. He won us an All Ireland FFS. One interesting thing about Joes time was there was never any stories came outside the camp. Obviously not true in current squad.

Still having Bumpy as manager cheered me up. His good nature would quell the dressing room ;D :D

Aoise

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on July 22, 2009, 07:58:22 PM

There are a few reasons why I wouldn't like to see JK back at the helm.  Firstly, I'm not in the camp that believes all his son's are County standard.  Good club footballers absolutely, but apart from Aaron, the rest have still to prove themselves - just my opinion!  Secondly, I feel that some of JK's decisions actually cost us All-Irelands in the past, remember him taking McGeeney off and Sean Cavanagh running through the middle of us like a physic as a result.  I think big Joe stayed at least two years too long and I feel that was more to ensure his son's had a smooth transition than what was best for Armagh football.

Having said that, there are many things I respect JK for.  He's undoubtedly an Armagh man and his statement that he would never go to another county deserves high respect, whether or not this means so long as his son's are playing is something to be seen, however, if it proves true in the long run, it is to be greatly admired.

If PmcD is correct about all the 'sabotage' then we as Armagh Gael's deserve to know exactly whats happening and where.  This cloak and dagger stuff has to stop if we're to build a strong County team.  Too many ego's around our County - time to de-weed and call the shots as they are.  Thats been the problem for too long.  As grimley says, too many people talking out of both sides of their mouth, we need a bit of straightness and honesty for a change, maybe PMcD's legacy won't be forgotten afterall!!! ;)