Cill Dara v Cill Mhantáin - 7pm Port Laoise 25/7/09

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 19, 2009, 10:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Donnellys Hollow

Probably our worst performance of the summer by some distance so happy to come out of Portlaoise with the win. Too many players just didn't play up to what they are capable of. We were on the ropes for a period in the first half but Dermot, Hughie McGrillen and Morgan Flaherty drove us on and pulled us through. Dermot was sensational throughout the game and he's surely now a contender for player of the year even at this early stage. Delighted for Hughie as well. The Leinster Final horror show could have shattered a lesser player's confidence but he showed bottle and character to come back stronger from it. Put the shackles on Furlong when switched onto him in the second half.

Furlong had done untold damage beforehand and we'll need to tighten up significantly at the back if we are to be competitive next weekend. It's unfair to single out Foley for criticism because he's being played out of position and he's clearly not comfortable on the edge of the square. If Mikey Conway is out of the quarter final, I'd say MacLochlainn will probably come into the full back line with Foley moving back out to the half back line where he'll be seen to better effect. Why Kevin O'Neill appears to have fallen so far down the pecking order though, I don't know? I can only assume that he's not doing the business in training but I doubt we'd have conceded four goals in our last two matches if Kev was in at full back.

Leper had a big impact when coming on. Kicked two fine points with either foot when the momentum was with Wicklow. Hope he's fit to start the next day. Rob Kelly did well too when he came on. I'd be tempted to start him ahead of Roli the next day because I think Roli would be a great option to have on the bench for when Dermot starts to run out of steam in the final quarter of games.

Lastly, credit to Wicklow and Micko for a cracking game. You know with all of Micko's teams that they'll go out to play good open football and that match might just stand to us next weekend.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Main Street

Quote from: Frank Casey on July 25, 2009, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 25, 2009, 10:40:40 PM
At 20 years past his prime

I don't think that Micko would agree that he's past it.

Fair Play to him and his team. Maybe they over-achieved in getting this far but twas a great run for them.
Past his prime  but not "past it", if you get my meaning.

ziggysego

Fantastic game. Best game of the Championship to date in IMHO. Just a pity Wicklow couldn't hold on for a win.
Testing Accessibility