Thoughts on Fitness and Coaching for Gaelic Games

Started by Logan, July 18, 2009, 02:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

Quote from: Rav67 on July 19, 2009, 12:02:40 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on July 19, 2009, 11:45:23 AM
Quote from: JMohan on July 19, 2009, 11:38:31 AM
Quote from: dundrumite on July 19, 2009, 11:33:59 AM
As having a vested interest in sport psychology I am interested in why you suggest they should never talk to a team? With Mental skills training you can increase levels of concentration and motivation. Numerous studies show you can improve self paced closed skills to a great degree ie free kicking, in addition Psychology has being pr oven scientifically to combat anxiety and counteract choking on the big stage. Would love to meet the guru who has bestowed you with this advice.
Don't think he's saying that.

I think he means that the best way is to talk to individuals not to a team as a large group - not that psychology is bad or that it doesn't work...

Agree with that 100%. I posted before reading his brief explanation post... My bad

From the OP's clarification in #2 it seems as if this is not was he is saying - rather that the psychologist should advise the manager how to frame his advice/discussions with players.  He seems to suggest that the psychologist should not have direct contact with the players.

That's what I took from it anyway, perhaps he could clarify further.

Yeah after reading the second point I picked that up,which is probably a valid point.
Periodisation in its simplest terms is the method used by many Gaelic coaches, eg pre-season endurance based work... pre-championship time when a team is looking to peak working on sharpness and skills

Tony Baloney

Read in an article last week that approx 400ml of water was plenty to stave off dehydration prior to sport.

Jinxy

I'm on the record here before as saying the hydration issue (in a temperate climate like ours) is completely overstated.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

Logan - I am coming to the end of my playing career and hope to do a bit of coaching. You have raised some interesting points there. If you have any supporting documentation I'd love to get my hands on it and have a read. Could you pm me and I will give you my email. Cheers.

Logan

Quote from: dundrumite on July 19, 2009, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on July 19, 2009, 12:02:40 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on July 19, 2009, 11:45:23 AM
Quote from: JMohan on July 19, 2009, 11:38:31 AM
Quote from: dundrumite on July 19, 2009, 11:33:59 AM
As having a vested interest in sport psychology I am interested in why you suggest they should never talk to a team? With Mental skills training you can increase levels of concentration and motivation. Numerous studies show you can improve self paced closed skills to a great degree ie free kicking, in addition Psychology has being pr oven scientifically to combat anxiety and counteract choking on the big stage. Would love to meet the guru who has bestowed you with this advice.
Don't think he's saying that.

I think he means that the best way is to talk to individuals not to a team as a large group - not that psychology is bad or that it doesn't work...

Agree with that 100%. I posted before reading his brief explanation post... My bad

From the OP's clarification in #2 it seems as if this is not was he is saying - rather that the psychologist should advise the manager how to frame his advice/discussions with players.  He seems to suggest that the psychologist should not have direct contact with the players.

That's what I took from it anyway, perhaps he could clarify further.

Yeah after reading the second point I picked that up,which is probably a valid point.

Psychology is critical

Psychologists work best in 2 ways
- Working one-on-one with players
- Helping coaches get their message across

Logan

Quote from: Jinxy on July 19, 2009, 01:10:12 PM
I'm on the record here before as saying the hydration issue (in a temperate climate like ours) is completely overstated.
Agreed completely

Logan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2009, 12:58:51 PM
Read in an article last week that approx 400ml of water was plenty to stave off dehydration prior to sport.
I think it's individual - but probably about right

Logan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2009, 12:01:08 PM
QuoteIf it's all below you then you don't need to comment ... we're sadly not all as expert in coaching as you.

Now now no need for attitude, I'm not a GAA coach, although some day I hope to be, I'm a rugby coach. Coaching is all about different opinions.

If someone goes to the bother of typing out notes and sharing information - It's not very helpful to respond saying that it's 'stating the obvious'.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2009, 12:01:08 PM
Anyhow thanks for the further elaborations, I'm interested in some of the points you raised as it's a direct conflict to the IRFU experts and if we're honest as a professional sports body the IRFU should know what their talking about.

Quote- There is no such thing as 'periodisation' anymore. Traditional Periodisation doesn't work in team sports.
Nothing grey about that.

That has to be the greyest answer ever but this completely contradicts the IRFU fitness and conditioning gurus, Leinster, Munster, Ireland et al all practice periodisation and the results are there. It's all about knowing when to raise intensity and when to download. At a recenct conditioning course in Limerick the whole philosophy core to the course was periodisation. Even in the GAA world Kildare are practicing this and again the results are there for all to see.
I used the phrase 'traditional' periodisation - that's important.

I don't know what Kildare do. But from what I imagine Kildare wouldn't be the best example IMHO - with 15 men they seemed run off their feet by a fitter and stronger finishing Dublin team.
Again the results not all down to fitness - but we can't draw concrete conclusions like that.

As for the IRFU and traditional periodisation - that's a longer answer, but the best way to conclude is - this is where we disagree.  

Dinny Breen

As for the IRFU and traditional periodisation - that's a longer answer, but the best way to conclude is - this is where we disagree. 

So you now know more than Liam Hennessy, care to expand on this? It's a discussion board not a sweeping statement board. Also explain the differences between traditional as opposed to "modern" periodisation.

Can we actually have some facts, I mean a Grand Slam, H- Cup, M-League and a Church Hill cup, minimal injuries, so obviously the IRFU are doing something right what successful teams don't practice periodisation and what do they practice?
#newbridgeornowhere

Logan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2009, 04:18:14 PM

So you now know more than Liam Hennessy, care to expand on this? It's a discussion board not a sweeping statement board. Also explain the differences between traditional as opposed to "modern" periodisation.

Can we actually have some facts, I mean a Grand Slam, H- Cup, M-League and a Church Hill cup, minimal injuries, so obviously the IRFU are doing something right what successful teams don't practice periodisation and what do they practice?

I see you ignored the first part.... anyway ...

So you're saying someone can't disagree with you? What? Is no one is entitled to an opinion based on what I've heard/seen/been taught etc?
I never said I know more than anyone else, I don't know what the IRFU, Liam Henessey doe, says so I can't see how I disagree with them - don't put words in anyone's mouth.

How do you know the IRFU use or don't use traditional linear periodised training models? Unless you are of course an IRFU coach?
Also what is said in theory is not always done in practice.

You obviously believe that they are the best way and that's fine.
You're entitled to your opinion.
No dramas.

Dinny Breen

I didn't ignore your reference to Kildare because although I know how they train I don't know how Dublin train but anyway as you alluded to Dublin didn't beat Kildare because of fitness.

QuoteHow do you know the IRFU use or don't use traditional linear periodised training models? Unless you are of course an IRFU coach?

I am for my sins.

Look I don't mind you or anyone having a different opinion, I'm actually interested in why you are thinking differently, I have been drafting up a season plan with a lot emphasis of periodisation and a different train of thought has caught my curiosity, perhaps my language has been agressive only because I want you to qualify what your saying.

Even on hydration we have been told players should have a minimum 3 litres of water before a game, yet you seem to have contradictory evidence to this.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2009, 04:56:39 PM
I didn't ignore your reference to Kildare because although I know how they train I don't know how Dublin train but anyway as you alluded to Dublin didn't beat Kildare because of fitness.

QuoteHow do you know the IRFU use or don't use traditional linear periodised training models? Unless you are of course an IRFU coach?

I am for my sins.

Look I don't mind you or anyone having a different opinion, I'm actually interested in why you are thinking differently, I have been drafting up a season plan with a lot emphasis of periodisation and a different train of thought has caught my curiosity, perhaps my language has been agressive only because I want you to qualify what your saying.

Even on hydration we have been told players should have a minimum 3 litres of water before a game, yet you seem to have contradictory evidence to this.

I think that is excessive.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Because you're not reading all the studies on hydration Dinny. Quite a number suggest in a temperate climate like ours- 3 litres is far too much and its something I agree with. I can't see how a junior club footballer will need 3 litres of water before a junior B championship match. Anything around 1.5 litres in our climate with a sports drink beforehand is plenty IMO.

Rugby is a different game especially at the levels Liam Hennessy is talking about - ie the higher echelons of professional sport.

Dinny Breen

It's what we've been advised, my players ofter lose between 3-5kg in a game particularly when the temperatures are high. The reason so much water intake is recommended is to off set muscle fatigue, any percentage drop in body water levels can decrease muscle performance. I haven't performed any studies but this what the IRFU guru's are recommending so I'm quite open to other schools of thought.
#newbridgeornowhere