An Bord Snip Nua

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 16, 2009, 02:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 16, 2009, 04:14:09 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2009, 04:12:12 PM
And the prize for the biggest leap to connect two subjects goes to.

Explain that statement
Some leap to connection ABS to  the GPA.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2009, 04:24:11 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 16, 2009, 04:14:09 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2009, 04:12:12 PM

Explain that statement

I dont know what you abbreviation ABS stands for, An Bord Snip Nua im guessing but ill answer that anyway.

I dont think its a big leap at all as Martin Cullen and the Dept of Arts, Sport and Tourism provide the funding for the GPA demands.

By the way Cullen is a TD, and the  Dept of Arts, Sport and Tourism is a public office. And today, massive cuts were announced - see the start of this thread.

So any excess demands or increases considering that players were never paid in the first place, and taking into account all the cutting of services that are much more important, makes the players demands look very bad.

Is there a prize for the biggest idiot ? I have someone in mind.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 16, 2009, 04:08:46 PM
Feck the GPA. This is far more serious. Their demands look criminal after seeing the cuts in this report.

I was making that point myself... still, I accept it is totally unrelated.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

View from the bbc.

Report calls for 17,300 job cuts 

Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan faces a huge defecit
The Irish government has published a report recommending 17,300 public service job cuts and a 5% reduction in social welfare payments.

A group chaired by a University College Dublin economist - dubbed An Bord Snip Nua - put forward recommendations aimed at achieving 5.3bn euros in savings.

It said the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs should be closed and its functions redistributed.

The current 400m euro a week government borrowing was unsustainable, it said.

The Republic of Ireland's government deficit has ballooned as a result of the banking crisis and the recession.

Economist Colm McCarthy, who chaired the Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure Programmes, told RTE they needed to tackle the big items of spending - health, education and social welfare.

Finance Minister Brian Lenihan said the government recognised "the choices facing us are not simple or pain-free".

"Following them through requires a collective social effort and not one motivated by protecting one's patch or pursuing one's special interest to the exclusion of all else," he said.

"That is why I would ask people to read the report carefully and critically, and avoid knee-jerk and defensive reactions to each and every suggestion raised by the Special Group.

"All of us, including those of us in public administration, will have to accept that the old ways of doing things need to be looked at afresh, so that we can deliver excellent public services with the dramatically lower level of resources now available."

The Republic of Ireland's largest public service union, Impact, has already threatened industrial action if the government attempted to impose public service pay cuts, pension reductions or compulsory redundancies.

Tbc....

Rossfan

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 16, 2009, 05:02:12 PM

Economist Colm McCarthy, who chaired the Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure Programmes, told RTE they needed to tackle the big items of spending - health, education and social welfare.

Services on which economists and Dublin 4 types can afford not to  depend on.
No mention of cutting subventions to fcukin banks. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Is An Bord Snip Niua the official title?  I think I've heard Government members referring to as this?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

That was a phrase coined by media people.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 16, 2009, 05:22:05 PM
Is An Bord Snip Niua the official title?  I think I've heard Government members referring to as this?

Na the official title is the Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure Programmes.

I wonder how much this unworkable report cost?
#newbridgeornowhere

LaurelEye

And as an extra special bonus, the 26 Counties are to be reduced to 22 - with Carlow, Leitrim (and I assume, Longford and Laois) being swallowed up by their larger neighbours. Kinda symbolic.

Say goodbye to Lisbon II, lads.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

carribbear

Here's a few mad ideas.

What about stopping the irish government funding of overseas aid projects? see where the government is throwing money about http://www.irishaid.gov.ie/
How about stopping welfare payments/free cars/hairdressing vouchers etc to bogus asylum seekers and non eu parasites.
How about putting a cap on the amount of money top civil servants can be paid (im thinking judges and state barristers who've fleeced the taxpayer in these tribunals)
How about holding the banking and financial community accountable for all the money until it is paid back, make them work it off and recouping all their assets (put them on skid row) including any side-companies they may have.
How about getting rid of the HSE completely and let the nurses and doctors do their job, theres more penpushers than carers these days.
How about stopping language programs in schools, let kids learn the basics and if they can't speak english or irish let their parents pay for lessons. Not the states job to pay for integration teachers when theres problems getting a regular one for 30 kids in a portacabin.
How about tendering all constructions jobs to only companies with the financial clout to finish them, if they default on the project or are overbudget then either they pay the difference or they hand it over (luas, red cow roundabout etc)

Safeguards like these 10 years ago would have stopped a lot of the problems we face now.

Gnevin

Quote from: carribbear link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=
Here's a few mad ideas.

What about stopping the irish government funding of overseas aid projects? see where the government is throwing money about http://www.irishaid.gov.ie/
How about stopping welfare payments/free cars/hairdressing vouchers etc to bogus asylum seekers and non eu parasites.
How about putting a cap on the amount of money top civil servants can be paid (im thinking judges and state barristers who've fleeced the taxpayer in these tribunals)
How about holding the banking and financial community accountable for all the money until it is paid back, make them work it off and recouping all their assets (put them on skid row) including any side-companies they may have.
How about getting rid of the HSE completely and let the nurses and doctors do their job, theres more penpushers than carers these days.
How about stopping language programs in schools, let kids learn the basics and if they can't speak english or irish let their parents pay for lessons. Not the states job to pay for integration teachers when theres problems getting a regular one for 30 kids in a portacabin.
How about tendering all constructions jobs to only companies with the financial clout to finish them, if they default on the project or are overbudget then either they pay the difference or they hand it over (luas, red cow roundabout etc)

Safeguards like these 10 years ago would have stopped a lot of the problems we face now.

Immigants!  I knew it was them!  Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.
http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F20.html
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: AbbeySider link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=
Quote from: Gnevin link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=
Quote from: AbbeySider link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=
Quote from: Gnevin link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=

Explain that statement

I dont know what you abbreviation ABS stands for, An Bord Snip Nua im guessing but ill answer that anyway.

I dont think its a big leap at all as Martin Cullen and the Dept of Arts, Sport and Tourism provide the funding for the GPA demands.

By the way Cullen is a TD, and the  Dept of Arts, Sport and Tourism is a public office. And today, massive cuts were announced - see the start of this thread.

So any excess demands or increases considering that players were never paid in the first place, and taking into account all the cutting of services that are much more important, makes the players demands look very bad.

Still don't see why we are talking about 3.5 million for the GPA in the context of 5.3 Bl. The GPA have rightly reused a offer which was an attempt to spilt them and have not asked for a increase or "excess demands" .

Is there a prize for the biggest idiot ? I have someone in mind.
Is it the person who didn't know what ABS stood for in a thread  about An Bord Snip  ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=
Quote from: Denn Forever link=topic=13004.msg#msg date=

Na the official title is the Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure Programmes.

I wonder how much this unworkable report cost?

Lad of the radio said the chair was doing it for free. Not sure if that meant the whole thing was free or what .

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2009, 05:16:23 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 16, 2009, 05:02:12 PM

Services on which economists and Dublin 4 types can afford not to  depend on.
No mention of cutting subventions to fcukin banks. >:(

Did you get knocked down by a bus in Dublin 4 or do you just live in a world of easy stereotypes?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

You know what I mean Muppet.
I see there are recommendations to reduce the no. of special needs teachers by 2,000   >:(
Then they recommend closing hundreds of rural Garda Stations....a recipe for more Nallys if ever there was one.
And  they recommend depriving the poor oul divils living in remote rural areas their bus to town on a Friday.

I think it's fair to say no Politician will want to implement a lot of what's in this Economist's report. ;)