GAA on Slugger

Started by ONeill, July 16, 2009, 10:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Like most GAA threads on slugger, this has descended in a pathetic attempt to fire sectarian abuse at the GAA from people who know little or nothing about the organisation.

This is the particular low point.

As something I should respect, I find GAA irritating simply because of the people who play it.
Generally a bunch of thick, red-headed culchies who trash the Holylands and act like the 'popular kids' in university, because they chase a ball about a mucky pitch.
They are for the most part monobrowed, bad-toothed future wife beaters whose ambition in life is to get married at 23 and build themselves a house in Ballygobackwards and have three kids before falling into a spiral of depression and alcoholism.
From there its either suicide or becoming the village drunk.
UP The Dubs
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Main Street

TAM, that reads like a spoof on rants, not a serious rant.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 16, 2009, 11:38:17 AM
As something I should respect, I find GAA irritating simply because of the people who play it.
Generally a bunch of thick, red-headed culchies who trash the Holylands and act like the 'popular kids' in university, because they chase a ball about a mucky pitch.
They are for the most part monobrowed, bad-toothed future wife beaters whose ambition in life is to get married at 23 and build themselves a house in Ballygobackwards and have three kids before falling into a spiral of depression and alcoholism.
From there its either suicide or becoming the village drunk.

Sounds like the OP knows quite a few people round Culchiehanna.

thejuice

http://sluggerotoole.com/index.php/weblog/comments/viva-palestina-and-gaza-gaa/

GAA is taking a bit of a flack there because someone is sending GAA gear and equipment along with some humanitarian aid to Gaza. How much the GAA as an organisation is involved in this I don't know, in fact very little if at all from what I've read but I don't expect the lovely folk on Slugger to make that distinction.

Nor are they able to make the distinction that these people, John Hurson et al, are giving humanitiarian support to people badly in need, who are in a desperate situation. Quite surprised that he wants to start a GAA club there. I wish him all the best with it but I wonder how it will progress.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Doogie Browser

Fair play to John for replying, some people just don't want to listen though, these are not the people he should worry about though.  Its the thousands of people over here who see it for what it is, the most altruistic of deeds, he is an example to us all.  Keep up the sterling work John.

thewingedlady

I know, but don't associate with, a man from Malahide who once said that "The GAA is full of people from parsihes who like to go to nightclubs and start fights." The contempt I hold for that statement can not be put into words.

Puckoon

I must admit that the thought of building a house in ballygobackwards had me laughing just a little.

That rant cannot be serious - hespecially with hup the dubs at the end.

thejuice

The GAA is really being called into question lately on Slugger for Pomeroy hosting the Seamus Woods Tug of War and now theres an Ogra SInn Fein event being in a club somewhere too. Surely a political party aren't allowed use GAA premises if I'm not mistaken.

Same old argument as before, the GAA seem to be very noncommittal about the issue. It's like they are happy to leave a grey area to exist on the issue rather than coming out definitely in favour or definitely against.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thejuice on August 14, 2011, 12:42:46 AM
The GAA is really being called into question lately on Slugger for Pomeroy hosting the Seamus Woods Tug of War and now theres an Ogra SInn Fein event being in a club somewhere too. Surely a political party aren't allowed use GAA premises if I'm not mistaken.

Same old argument as before, the GAA seem to be very noncommittal about the issue. It's like they are happy to leave a grey area to exist on the issue rather than coming out definitely in favour or definitely against.
Matter for the club blah blah blah. Clubs should stay out of this shit.

DuffleKing

I think shane o'neills in armagh are hosting a hunger striker function this weekend also

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 14, 2011, 10:28:12 AM
I think shane o'neills in armagh are hosting a hunger striker function this weekend also

This cannot be allowed in a GAA club, disgraceful.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Disgraceful? Unlike this political event on GAA property?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 16, 2011, 07:36:23 PM
Disgraceful? Unlike this political event on GAA property?

YAWN
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Eamonnca1

Is it not a valid point?  We're coming up to a lot of anniversaries of these hunger strikes and I'm a bit concerned about the use of GAA facilities for them. The attitude of management seems to be to point the finger at some other committee.  County boards point at the clubs and clubs decline to comment. It's as if we're embarrassed about it but hope it'll go away if we say little enough about it. Time to come out with some clear statements on the matter, tighten up the rules and bang out fines to any club that breaks them.