A guy who picked up Rugby with no experience....

Started by Tankie, July 14, 2009, 08:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 03:06:29 PM
Quote from: Roger on July 16, 2009, 02:57:54 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 02:46:55 PM
when playing a poor team yes you can get away with alot but if you played front row and came up against someone with experience you could get destroyed, rugby is like any sport, if the opposition is poor you will be fine but once you come up against someone who knows the correct technique (esp in the front row) you could be turned into a penalty machine or just pushed around the park
As veteran international prop Phil Vickery recently found out in humiliating fashion.

I really felt sorry for Phil that day...i think the ref was poor though as the beast was not going in straight imo

Hardly explains why the scrum was solid as soon as Jones came on.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2009, 10:33:50 PM
when playing a poor team yes you can get away with alot but if you played front row and came up against someone with experience you could get destroyed, rugby is like any sport, if the opposition is poor you will be fine but once you come up against someone who knows the correct technique (esp in the front row) you could be turned into a penalty machine or just pushed around the park
As veteran international prop Phil Vickery recently found out in humiliating fashion.

I really felt sorry for Phil that day...i think the ref was poor though as the beast was not going in straight imo

there is no question Vickery had a stinker that day but i still think the ref was very poor....
Grand Slam Saturday!

Rav67

Quote from: Tankie on July 16, 2009, 10:45:08 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 16, 2009, 10:33:50 PM

there is no question Vickery had a stinker that day but i still think the ref was very poor....

Holy shit Gnevin and Tankie had a slightly different view on something!

rosnarun

horseshit From experience the front row is all about strenght. if your strong enough you technique is good enough. Vickery is past it. the legs are the 1st to go then the appitite .
Rugby is more akin to a game of hitting people with sticks to a ball game . the person who decides its not fun any more and wants to go home loses the game. though that game sounds like more fun
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Gnevin

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 01:22:49 AM

horseshit From experience the front row is all about strenght. if your strong enough you technique is good enough. Vickery is past it. the legs are the 1st to go then the appitite .
Rugby is more akin to a game of hitting people with sticks to a ball game . the person who decides its not fun any more and wants to go home loses the game. though that game sounds like more fun

So Rugby is like Kilkenny Hurling?  ???
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

Scrummaging in the front row requires far more than just brute strength. You just need to look at John Hayes when he plays for Ireland or Munster. The Bull is probably one of the strongest guys playing international rugby but he often struggles against smaller loose-head props who are able to get under him and then use superior technique to work him backwards. Similarly, look at Tony Buckley in the same position. He's an absolute monster of a man but his technique is so poor that he often gets badly exposed in the scrum.

The best scrummaging Irish props like Paul Wallace, Nick Popplewell and Peter Clohessy didn't have anywhere near the strength that someone like Hayes possesses but their technique was superior.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Tankie

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 17, 2009, 02:10:54 AM

Scrummaging in the front row requires far more than just brute strength. You just need to look at John Hayes when he plays for Ireland or Munster. The Bull is probably one of the strongest guys playing international rugby but he often struggles against smaller loose-head props who are able to get under him and then use superior technique to work him backwards. Similarly, look at Tony Buckley in the same position. He's an absolute monster of a man but his technique is so poor that he often gets badly exposed in the scrum.

The best scrummaging Irish props like Paul Wallace, Nick Popplewell and Peter Clohessy didn't have anywhere near the strength that someone like Hayes possesses but their technique was superior.

Cian Healy is another classic small prop - i think this guy is gonna be a legend in years to come
Grand Slam Saturday!

rosnarun

hayes is too big and soft to be a prop forward , hes a failed second row. same as that other lummox buckley .
A comment like that about healy shows the delusional nature of Rugby supporters in Ireland, Healy  a bit part leinster player whi manages to shine in the odd magners league game and you comparing him to the SA front ROW !! . I may have my Predjuces towards rugby but at tleast they are grounded in some form of reality
mind you it would have been funny to have seen healy against   Mtawarira

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 01:58:55 PM
hayes is too big and soft to be a prop forward , hes a failed second row. same as that other lummox buckley .
A comment like that about healy shows the delusional nature of Rugby supporters in Ireland, Healy  a bit part leinster player whi manages to shine in the odd magners league game and you comparing him to the SA front ROW !! . I may have my Predjuces towards rugby but at tleast they are grounded in some form of reality

Healy proved himself in the Heineken Cup final against one of the best props in the world.

You clearly do not understand the game so will you start talking crap in this thread.....
Grand Slam Saturday!

tyroneboi

Quote from: Tankie on July 17, 2009, 04:16:25 PM

Healy proved himself in the Heineken Cup final against one of the best props in the world.

You clearly do not understand the game so will you start talking crap in this thread.....

And the fact that Healy is still only 21 which in prop terms is extremely young. Will no doubt be in the Ireland team come the World Cup in 2011.

Tankie

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 17, 2009, 06:02:58 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 17, 2009, 04:16:25 PM

And the fact that Healy is still only 21 which in prop terms is extremely young. Will no doubt be in the Ireland team come the World Cup in 2011.

fully agree i think if he keeps progressing at the rate he is at the moment and stays injury feel he will be super. I really hope he gets a starting spot for the November internationals, the experience will really stand to him especially going up against South Africa.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Dinny Breen

Rosnarun, you should stop talking now, one of the most stupid comments I have ever read on this board.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

You've totally contradicted yourself there anyway. You said originally that you only need to be a big strong lump to play in the front row and now you're saying that both Hayes and Buckley are too big. As for you comment that John Hayes is too soft - I'd like to see you tell him that to his face!

As regards Cian Healy, he is far from the finished article yet but there is no doubt that he is talented. Leicester have one of the best scrummaging packs in the world and Healy was never in trouble against them. He still has work to do on some aspects of his game but he will mature when he gets more top class matches under his belt. I'd expect to see him easing Marcus Horan out of the national side over the next 18 months. BTW, it is very unlikely that Healy will be directly up against Mtawarira anytime soon because both play mostly on the loose-head side.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

rosnarun

No I said you just need strenght. that that is not measured by a tape.
the Front Row has been the IRFUs achilles heel for years and wont be solved untill hayes retires. and dont expect healy to fill the void but rather expect a few journey men aussies or Kiwis to rediscover there irish roots

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on July 17, 2009, 08:27:29 PM
No I said you just need strenght. that that is not measured by a tape.
the Front Row has been the IRFUs achilles heel for years and wont be solved untill hayes retires. and dont expect healy to fill the void but rather expect a few journey men aussies or Kiwis to rediscover there irish roots

you dont rate Healy..... but since you clearly do not understand the scrum, the game in general or how the Irish setup works please stop talking as you are making a joke of yourself here

in regard to the scrum in general it will be interesting to see how Mike Ross gets on with Leinster this season
Grand Slam Saturday!